Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: US Maul Prototype Review...  (Read 13294 times)
julmax
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 75

A Sith... Hear? Bad Sishy, Bad Sithy! ...WOOSH!

« on: September 29, 2014, 08:45:57 AM »

Oh wow, what a turnout!  I didn't know we could fit this many people in the forum review room.  Okay, before we get started, I hope everyone remembered to bring something for the potluck...

...ZAP!  CRACKLE!  CRACKLE!...  Hey!  No force lightning Continent...  I don't care if it was for popcorn...  And Magic, stop hording all of the raffles and onion dip...  Ziran...  Ziran, don't do it...

Oh, you have got to be kidding me...  Really?  A food fight? 

*Big sigh*

Okay guys...  No, not them, all of you watching this insanity from the safety of your computer screens.  Let's get this review started...  But before we do, there are a couple of aspects that should be kept in mind when considering this potential new release from Ultra Sabers. 

First, and perhaps foremost, the saber were about to look at is a cannon saber.  Or in other words, a saber that has been designed and constructed to be a faithful rendition of a saber used by a specific star wars character.  In this case, the Phantom Menace himself, Darth Maul.

For most, the importance of this consideration is likely self evident.  But for the uninitiated, it is important to understand that movie prop designers rarely take into account whether or not a saber could actually be used proficiently and comfortably.  Or to put it another way, it would be unfair to judge a cannon saber by the same standards one would judge a dedicated dueling saber.

The other important aspect to remember is that this saber is a true prototype.  By which I mean, that unlike the new V4's, this saber well undergo some modifications before it is ultimately released.  So please bear that in mind.

Lastly, to avoid any potential for copyright infringement and to give a nod to the forum members who came up with it, we'll give this new saber and unofficial name...  Ladies and gentlemen of the forum.  It is my honor and privilege to present...  The Menace...

Starting off with the basics, the Menace comes in at 10 1/2 inches in length and weighs a relatively light 17 oz as equipped.  Used as an individual saber, this firmly places it in the realm of a single handed hilt.  This also equates too limited internal space and a snug fit for Ultra Sabers top of the line electronics package.  Specifically, I found that the wiring coming off the ends of the Emerald drivers would push against the AV switch housing with a fair amount of resistance.  The concern I have, though be it a small one, is that this could lead to wire damage or even a cracked driver board.  Again, I believe the risk of this happening is small.  However, I do feel that it is significant enough to warrant either lengthening the hilt slightly, or repositioning the AV switch slightly forward.

Note how the speaker is shifted off to one side, caused by the Emerald driver wires pressing against the AV switch.

If there is a single feature of the Menace that is synonymous with the character who wielded its inspiration, without a doubt, it would be the emitter.  In this case, the designers at Ultra Sabers have outdone themselves.  An innovative marvel of craftsmanship, the emitter is a three piece design consisting of a heat sink type MHS emitter head, multifaceted vent cage, and a black anodized MHS extension.  The combination of which results in a near perfect rendition of the movie character's hilt.  Or at least as much as a 1 inch blade pass through will allow for.

Another aspect of this emitter I find very appealing is the use and placement of the three blade retention screws.  Although having to remove the emitter head and cage in order to gain access to the retention screws would be annoying on a dueling saber, in this case, it's a clever solution.  Furthermore, the blade retention is phenomenal.

When first looking at the main body of the hilt, one may have the initial impression of a simple aluminum tube with some knobs attached.  But if you take another look, we find that the hilt is in actuality the benefactor of some rather extensive machining.  In fact, the Menace has no less than four different diameter dimensions producing the sabers silhouette.

Ultra Sabers has also missed very little in terms of detail.  The covertech wheel is where it should be.  Also, the   use of the  AV switch in place of one of the control knobs is not only acceptable, but expected...

The accent lights, though not eliminated, are actually machined and screwed into the hilt...

However, there are a few minor issues with the rest of the control knobs.  The obvious one of which is that the two larger knobs should be red.  But that one is really of no concern as I am sure they will be so on the production model.  But there are two legitimate concerns which I hope are addressed...

As they are currently configured, small thread size and oversized washers, it's not a matter that they may fail...  It is a matter that they will fail.  Whether they snap off, or strip out, they will not survive an impact due to the saber being dropped.  Keeping in mind this saber is a prototype, I suspect Ultra Sabers is already aware of this particular issue.  But just in case, I would strongly recommend the use of a fitted washer and a flat machined mountain surface as was done with the accent lights.

This last control knob issue Ultra Sabers may not be aware of, which is the diameter size and/or placement of the rear control knob.  As currently configured, the rear control knob is ever so slightly proud of the hilts end.  This is not an issue with a flash mounting pommel, but it does cause interference problems with the larger ones and it would be advantageous to use a smaller diameter knob.

The last major pieces of the saber is the pommel.  However, there's not much to cover as the Menace is currently supporting a low profile Manticore pommel...  A feature which I strongly suspect will be changed in the production version.

Accounting for the fact that this saber is a prototype, I am truly impressed with the aesthetics of the Menace and of Ultra Sabers attention to detail.  Now...  Let's take this bad sithy saber for a spin...

Single wield testing was done with both standard and heavy grade 36 inch blades as well as a 32 inch standard blade.  For saber staff I enlisted the help of one of my Manticores with a 32 inch blades only.  In both cases, I kept the maneuvers down to the basics because I really did not want to risk damaging the prototype.

To be absolutely honest, given all the knobs and covertech wheel, I had serious doubts that I would be able to effectively wield this saber.  Surprisingly, I was...  No, it didn't turn out to be a super saber like the new V4.  Nor could I really light it up the way I can with my V3 Initiates.  But I was able to perform the basics without cutting myself up and could even comfortably perform some crossovers, including a behind the back span.

In practice, I found that my best grip was just below the emitter with my thumb loosely draped over the covertech wheel.  In fact, in this position, the whole grip in general had to be kept extremely loose in order to prevent the saber from binding in my hand. 

A secondary grip location, which I used mostly during crossovers to a reverse grip was between the AV switch and the hilt heat sink grooves.

As far as how the Menace performed with the different blades, it did best with the 32 and 36 inch standard wait.  Unfortunately however, with the heavy grade 36 inch blade, the saber was extremely sluggish and difficult to control.

In a staff configuration, the Menace performed quite well...  Yes, yes, I know...  It should because it's meant to be a staff.  However, there is a small caveat in that I needed to remove the rear knobs.  Once those were out of the away, look out Qui-Gon...  It's Phantom Menace time. 

Um...  You know, somehow I just don't feel right saying that.  Any-who...  I really only needed to do this for hand over wrist spinning and the knob placement didn't really affect the use of a normal bow staff type grip.

In summary, the Menace would never cut it as a freestyle saber, nor would it be my first choice as a dueling saber...  And it's not meant to be.  However, it does handle well enough to be enjoyed and I see no reason why it could not be used in choreographed light dueling.  Furthermore, in staff form, it is in fact capable of being used in heavy dueling.  But let's be realistic.  It's a cannon saber, and you're not going to want to beat it up.

Okay, before I bring this review to a close, how about a few photos in bad sithy red and some MHS versatility...

Just for fun...  A quickly set up shot to illustrate what the emitter could look like if it were vented.

And last but not least...  The current family photo to show size comparison.

With all of the nit picking I've done in this review, you may be thinking that I'm not particularly thrilled with the Menace.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Remember, this is a cannon saber in the same vein as the Graflex and Chosen One.  That very special saber which is displayed proudly as a centerpiece of one's collection.  That is what the Menace is meant to be, and it excels in this role.  Or to sum it up another way, I would not hesitate to pay top dollar for this saber.

Now for the good news bad news thing...  The good news...  Ultra Sabers does indeed plan to release the production version of the Menace.  Oh, and please remember, that's not an official name. 

The bad news...  I have no idea when this may be.  In fact, unlike the V4 which has seen limited release, I have been informed that there is currently only one of these sabers in existence... 

...And now you know the reason why I don't want to damage it. Wink

Hey!  Who threw that!  Gerrr...  That stain is never gonna come out...  Don't do it...  Don't you da...  EEP!  WOOSH!  SPLAT!   

That it!  Gatling cream pie gun time...  Now who wants some of this!  ...VOOMP! VOOMP! VOOMP!... SPLAT! SPLAT! SPLAT!...  He,he,he...  I always come prepared. Cheesy

Yiggysaw
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -59

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 09:44:41 AM »

Wow. That looks just amazing. Looking forward to see the finished product!

zzkenc
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:57:52 AM »

OMG I love it, another reason to get 2 instead of one
hope to see the final product soon

- Guardian Adegan Silver
- Crimson Scorpion Sun Rider's Destiny
- Aeon Blazing Red
- Aeon LE Violet Amethyst
- Prophecy v3 Blazing Red

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »

Fantastic review, have a cookie with light side chocolate chips Grin

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Darth_Phobius47
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -176

Hawkbat 5

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 11:52:10 AM »

Spectacular review and Saber! It's a prototype so I'm sure the team at Ultra Sabers will see this review to help make the final adjustments before its official release. Thanks for sharing!

My Arsenal

Dark Arbiter w/sound custom~EG/AS
Dark Standard v3~FO
Dark Liberator v3 (bro)~CG
Initiate v3 (sis)~VA
Grab Bag: Dark SI v3 vert grooves~BR
Consular w/sound~BR/FO
Menace SE w/sound~CG/FO
Raffle prizes: Graflex w/sound~GB/AS
                    Malice w/sound~BR/VA

magik0012
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 107

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 12:10:54 PM »

...ZAP!  CRACKLE!  CRACKLE!...  Hey!  No force lightning Continent...  I don't care if it was for popcorn...  And Magic, stop hording all of the raffles and onion dip...  Ziran...  Ziran, don't do it...

Hoarding? I wasn't hoarding.. I was.. protecting them.. yeah.. that's the ticket!

Super-awesome review as always! Great job julmax!

That is definitely going to be a popular saber when it gets released!

Have a point m'lady!

Never give up! Never surrender!

Archon v3 (Emerald RGBA + v4 sound), Graflex SE (GB + v3 sound), Chosen One SE (BR + v3 sound), Manticore (VA + v3 sound), Flamberge v2 (FO + v4 sound, dis-assembled and lightly kitbashed), 

Aeon LE v4 (stunt CG), Dark Prophecy x2 (being re-customized) (stunt BR & DVA or VA),

Dark Arbiter (Disassembled), Overlord (Disassembled)
Dark Liberator (BR w v3 sound - gifted away), Dark Sentinel LE v4 (AB w v3 sound - gifted away)

sedstiskyfaller
Artisan of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 617

Blue is my color, it is who I am

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 12:11:18 PM »

Another great review, julmax. The emitter is probably the most exciting part of this because of its versatility and the endless combos you could make with it. It may be nice to see another pommel on it, but US has done this before with other sabers (i.e. Archon/Arbiter, Bane/Raven), but we shall see.

Thank you for another comprehensive assessment of this unique saber. Have a point.

Relan Tarel jedi kinght
Forge Technician
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 12:16:32 PM »

Another fantastic review. I can't wait for the production modle to be releced this one is going in my wish list next to the guardian and consular. Have a point.

<a href="http://www.enjin.com/" alt="swtor guild hosting">[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/bbc902d3fb690dcb.png[/img][/url]
Custom saber-Vigilance

jedi Kai-gon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 33

Knight of the Red Jedi Order

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »

Fantastic review! Maul's saber is my favorite one in Star Wars, I can't wait until it is released.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 12:44:30 PM »

Great review, julmax - and a true one of a kind, huh? Guess I know at least one hilt that's not coming my way Tongue

I really like the look of the hilt. It strikes a nice line between the complexity of upper end hilts like the Mantises and Reapers, and the simplicity of the Aeons and Liberators. Seeing it with the flat, cylindrical pommel makes me think of this as an evolution of the Shock in a way - similar recesses in the hilt, but that much more detailed.

The potential of that emitter is intriguing as well. I'm presuming the 'cage' part of it is held in place by a ridge on the hilt and the top part of the emitter?

I'm looking forward to the 'Menace' becoming a regular part of the US lineup. I mean, I hate them for keeping on bringing out new hilts for me to buy, but I guess I can live with that... Cheesy

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

CreepySeagulls
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 01:08:10 PM »

Drooooool.

That is incredible, the emitter gives me tingles. I would love two of these but I don't think the missus would allow it. ):

Point for the review though, they're always so informative, I'm surprised US aren't paying you to do these for all of their sabers. It would be awesome if there was a julmax review on every product page on the site. Grin

Always remember that cute, cuddly teddy bears will most likely eat you alive, unless you can prove you're a god.

Markus
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 38

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 03:04:37 PM »

Wouldn't be surprised if US gave you this prototype on purpose. Tongue Grin
Am looking forward for this one to be released, since it did most likely serve as an example for the Manticore and should also work well in contraption as a staff.

Catalyst w/sound, RGBA Emerald, silver AV (Always On), w/Kill-Key

Ziran Le
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 55

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 03:58:56 PM »

ZL wipes onion dip out of his beard. Shocked

Nice one, Jul.  That thing looks great with the Manticore emitter on it.  As far as your review, nicely done indeed.  You sort of confirmed what I believe that some of us were already wondering about ie: it looks a little "busy" with the various knobs and wondering how it would handle.  I agree that this one, like the Chosen One, may be more of a collector or "show piece" than an every day dueling hilt.

It looks amazing!

[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/b44df17a0009fcd0.png[/img]

UltraSabers : 7
Prophecy V3 (GB w/Obsidian), Liberator V3 (AS with yellow filter), Dominix V3 (GB), Standard Issue V3 (FO), Aeon LE V3 (VA - Wife's), Dominix LE V2 (BR - Son's, 5yo), Dark Init. LE V2 (CG - Daughter's, 8yo)

Want: Archon, Bellicose, Graflex, Chosen One, new V4s

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 04:58:41 PM »

Excellent review!  It may be some time before the "Menace" appears for sale, but it is now officially number 2 on my "want" list.   :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

julmax
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 75

A Sith... Hear? Bad Sishy, Bad Sithy! ...WOOSH!

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 08:53:54 PM »

The potential of that emitter is intriguing as well. I'm presuming the 'cage' part of it is held in place by a ridge on the hilt and the top part of the emitter?

Yes and no JC...

The emitter cage is held in place by ridges, or more aptly, by shelves.  However, these shelves are a result of the emitter extension being a slightly smaller diameter than the standard MHS components.  As a result, you can place the combination of the extension and the cage between any two appropriately threaded MHS parts.

Although a very simple concept, it's an intriguing designing.  I mean think about it, I could easily see this concept being used for a variety of elaborate vented emitter extensions and vented couplers.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: