Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Lightest hilt?  (Read 7145 times)
Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 530

Be who you are and say what you feel

« on: February 19, 2015, 05:24:53 AM »

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I am looking to buy a "light weight" saber.  I let my students spar with my Sentinel V4 and while they like it, I can see that the girls with smaller hands have trouble wielding it.  Forget about my Bellicose.  They can't even hold that one! 

Which hilt do you think might be best?  I worry the Initiates, while possibly lighter, might be a bit too short for double-handed grips.  Suggestions and comparisons welcome!

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 05:39:17 AM »

I own an initiate v3 staff and sometimes use the single hilts by themselves. I have about average size hands and can comfortably use it with a two-handed grip. It has plenty of room, especially if their hands are a bit smaller.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 05:54:30 AM »

I wear 2XL gloves, snuggly, and I can fit both hands on my daughter's Initiate V2s with neither hand hanging off and about half inch between them. They are about as light as you'll find I expect. The 5 and 6 year olds where my daughter takes karate can handle those easy too.

The blade weights are significant too. My daughter had trouble with a heavy grade initiate blade but can single hand  the midgrade.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 06:01:56 AM »

Hi.  I don't think that the Initiate v4 is too short for a double handed grip and especially for women.  I would order without any windows as that area is the second choke point and the window edges can be uncomfortable.  Has a really comfortable hilt grip.  Another really good saber are the Aeon/Dominix v2 and used by both men and women.  The tube width is smaller and being a full size saber, is longer than the Initiate.  It also has two blade retention screws.  All of these one piece functional sabers are meant for spinning and dueling and dropping.  Also at an affordable cost.  The v2 Initiate in my opinion is too short and should not use more than the 24" blade.  I call it the Yoda saber.  Many like the Initiate v3, but I now think that the v4 has improved upon them even though the design has changed.  The v3 are good for those that want more of a light but solid saber.  The curved choke points are excellent.  Because of the late hour of the evening, I'll let you check out their individual specs. 

A more costly saber that is a forum favorite is the Prophecy.  The decorative screws would have to be removed for class.  More favored by those who fence and not bokken or katana like at all.  A more cost effective way to get basic sabers is to purchase as a staff.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 06:05:34 AM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 06:24:09 AM »

I did a review of my initiate v3 staff here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bdwXLP1TgY

If you skip to 16:14, you'll see how easy it is for me to get a two-handed grip on one of the initiate hilts.

dasweallycool
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 84

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 11:39:21 AM »

I always thought the Apprentice sounded good for small hands, it's what I was looking at for my 6 year old.. no idea about weight though!

Smiley

I HAVE:
Aeon V3 - AS/Obsidian
Initiate V4 LE BR/ObsLITE
Standard Issue AS/Stunt
Force FX - Yoda
M/R - Anakin EP2
M/R - BYO
M/R - Luke EP4

Wish List:
Prophecy V3 AB/Stunt

Qui-Lar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 68

"This weapon is your life!"

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 12:50:10 PM »

Short answer, check out the Prophecy.
Light weight, easy to weild, right
length for two hands or the Catalyst.

Catalyst(s) DarkArbiter DarkProphecy(s) ChosenOne
CrimsonMantis DarkLiberatorV3 InitiateV3 ShockLE
Guardian SentinelLEV4 Consular DarkInitiateLEV2
InitiateLEV2 Manticore(s) DominixV4 Flamberge(sss)
Bellicose Archon DominixLEV3(s) Monarch InitiateLEV3
SentinelV4 DominixV2RGB Scorpion(s) Menace(sssss)
DarkApprenticeV4 DarkSentinelLEV4 AeonLEV4V

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 04:03:37 PM »

I agree with both ideas of the Aeon/Dominix V2 and the Prophecy. Both are light with and easy to grip. The first saber I had to really WOW me on weight, was the Shock. It may have been just by simple comparison to my first 3 sabers, but I found the Shock to be very light yet still well balanced.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 08:55:38 PM »

Thanks so much for all the help!  I've definitely got some options now.  Smiley   I'm still not sure about the Initiate, but if there are options out there that are just as light but a bit longer, I'll definitely consider them.  I like the way the Sentinel V4 feels, so something slightly smaller and lighter than that would probably be ideal.  It's going to be my saber, of course, but I still want something my students can play with.  It makes sparring time fun.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 09:24:15 PM »

I've also got to hold a Dom V4. The grooves in the grip as well as the choke points, make it very comfortable and easy to hold, along with the light weight.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 09:58:17 PM »

Prophecy, Dark Prophecy, any of the Initiates.  For me, these choices are great single handers, so I would imagine someone with smaller hands like a girl would definitely be fine using two hands.  I actually just bought a Prophecy V3 for a friend of mine, and she's pretty petite.

Also, the Aeon/Dominix V2 is a great choice.  Very slim, pretty lightweight, and enough length for a good two handed grip.  My fiancee still loves her blue Aeon V2, and she's about 5'3" and a fellow fencer, so that gives you an idea.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 10:00:10 PM »

Hi.  Then I strongly suggest purchasing an Aeon/Dominix v2 staff.  You will really appreciate the narrower grip and the length.  Just note that the v2 is a lighter basic stunt saber only.  You can find multiple reviews of very pleased members.  I place a tennis grip wrap on the lower part of hilt. Personally, I would never sell or trade my v2's as they are my practice first choice. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:03:22 PM by Dauntless Seven » Logged

Noctis
The Luminous Shadow
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 10:11:41 PM »

I really like the look of the Dominix LE V3.  Is it lighter than the Sentinel V4?  The choke points look nice on both the Dominix LE V3 and the V4, but I like the look of the V3 a little bit better.   I'm assuming the Aeon and the Dominix are essentially the same weight, since it is the same type of hilt, but I'm not sure if "LE" bit makes any difference.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 10:32:54 PM »

I'm assuming the Aeon and the Dominix are essentially the same weight, since it is the same type of hilt, but I'm not sure if "LE" bit makes any difference.

The only difference is the anodize color. The LEs would actually be minutely lighter due to the touch-off machining to re-expose the silver. But it would not be noticeable in your hands.

Sig by For Tyeth

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 10:34:55 PM »

Hey, you're really making me work there girlfriend!  So now I'm pulling out my sabers.  Gotta get a proper saber holder.  Now both of us have a tendency to like a longer saber but sometimes shorter is better.  Embarrassed Did I just say that  Embarrassed.  I can only compare the Initiate versions of the v3 and v4.  Weight and length similar so should be the same for the full versions.  What I really like about the An/Dx v3 are the curved choke points.  What I really like about the new v4's are the deeper hilt grooves.  The LE only indicates the decorative anodizing and adds no weight but does look good.  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: