Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Review of the RGBA Emerald Driver on the Overlord  (Read 1769 times)
Sciggs
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 121

Neither the dark nor the light, but the grey.

« on: December 12, 2013, 02:51:04 AM »

So, as far as I can tell, the only people who have gotten 4-channel drivers have gotten RGBW... well, I like odd things so I decided to go for the RGBA (Red Green Blue Amber) option. For anybody who is wondering about the Amber option, I'll go over it in as much detail as I can. I don't have pictures up right now, but if you guys want them, I can post them soon.

First, a brief review of the Overlord.

Very sleek! I was not expecting it to be so light, but honestly, it really works for this saber. I did not get the nickel plated version, but I do plan on mixing and matching with MHS parts, so I wanted the metal sheen to match. There were no blemishes at all on this saber when I received it, and I am very pleased with the design. Out of the Overlord, Manticore, and Dark Shock, I have to say that I think the Overlord is my new favorite! Extremely comfortable for two hands to wield, but light enough for one-hand. Service from Ultrasabers was, again, spectacular. This saber shipped two days after I ordered it!
Overall: 10/10! Superb!

And, for what I'm sure everyone is waiting for, the RGBA Emerald review:

Well, first, I would like to start off by saying the interface is pretty intuitive, and pretty easy to use, even if you haven't watched Emory's videos. You can adjust the pulse to be fast, slow, flicker, or turn it off altogether, or adjust the Flash on Clash to flicker ten times for one hit if you wanted. It is absolutely great for anybody like me who loves to switch things up or can't ever decide what color to get.

On to the color combinations.  Honestly, I played around with this for hours and went through two sets of fully charged batteries (I'm on my third now). The amount of options for colors is enormous! With only RGB, you can make pretty much any color you can think of. Personally, I like to put Red on about 220-230, which doesn't dim it too much but just enough to give the Blazing Red color a much more "blood" red color. The Amber LED is noticeably dimmer (by itself) than the other LED's but is still very bright (I would liken it to Fire Orange). After playing with Amber combinations for quite some time, I've come to two conclusions:

1. There IS a difference between shades that are achieved with only RGB, and these same shades that have Amber added to them. For example, I am able to make everything from Blazing Red to Pyrestone Orange to Fire Orange to Sentinel Yellow using only the RGB, but with Amber, I can "brighten" these (because you are adding a light wavelength). A warm yellow with Amber added is noticeably brighter than a warm yellow made with a mixture of Red and Green alone. You also can create things like "warm" magentas, and I was able to create a much better lime green with Amber than I was with standard RGB mixtures. However, the white that I created was ever so slightly lavender instead of true white.

2. However, in lieu of the above, I should mention that, while the difference side by side of the RGB mixtures and the ones with Amber is very noticeable to someone like me (an artist with a background in color theory and a sharp eye), the overall difference in colors achievable with Amber is not very big. To most people, RGBW would probably be a better option if you want a solid White (though I should mention that pastel colors can be created with only RBG as well).

Honestly, RGB can account for almost all colors one could ever need, so my final verdict with the Emerald driver is that you can not go wrong with either RGBA or RGBW. RGB will account for 99% of your colors, so the decision will ultimately lie between whether you want a clear, true white (RGBW) or whether you want very small differences in the brightness of warm oranges or lime greens (RGBA).

Ultimately, I decided on a warm yellow with a sparse (every ten seconds) pulse to a darker orange (like it loses power for a second) with a "blood" red FoC (3x).

Let me know if you all have any questions about the driver, I'd be happy to answer them.

May the Force be with you!

Manticore CG/AB FoC Obsidian Green A/V-- Modified Arabic theme
Dark Shock AB/AS Foc Obsidian Blue A/V
Overlord Obsidian with 4 channel RGBA
Initiate V3 SY/AS Foc Obsidian Red A/V
Initiate V3 BR/AS Foc Obsidian Yellow A/V
Azure Omen Obsidian with 2 channel BG non-lit A/V

Sciggs
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 121

Neither the dark nor the light, but the grey.

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 03:43:03 AM »

Also, I tried to take some pictures of the blade, but the color differences I was trying to capture were too small for my phone camera to pick up, so instead I made a small comparison using MS Paint. These colors that I came up with are an approximation, and are as close as I could get them. It was pretty impossible to get an EXACT match, but these definitely give you an idea for what I was saying with the differences between "warmer" versions of colors or the differences in lime green or the white.

All colors in the RIGHT parts of each pair are the warmer colors with Amber, and the matching colors on the LEFT are the closest approximation I could get without Amber. These are just a few main ones that were noticeably different, but most other color combinations I could create both with Amber and without.

Top Left: Warmish green-yellow  Top Right: White  Bottom Left: Warm Orange   Bottom Right: Magenta

Like I said, these are approximations, and the differences are subtle, but this just gives you a good general idea. Smiley

Manticore CG/AB FoC Obsidian Green A/V-- Modified Arabic theme
Dark Shock AB/AS Foc Obsidian Blue A/V
Overlord Obsidian with 4 channel RGBA
Initiate V3 SY/AS Foc Obsidian Red A/V
Initiate V3 BR/AS Foc Obsidian Yellow A/V
Azure Omen Obsidian with 2 channel BG non-lit A/V

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 05:51:39 AM »

A superb description of what the 4ch emerald driver can do; I appreciate the time you took to break it down.  It sounds like a really great tool to have. I'm hoping that the next ultrasaber I get will be the 4ch RGBW.  Great review Sciggs!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: