Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Author Topic: Sith: Looking for translations of "Sith" across multiple languages. Help me out.  (Read 5329 times)
DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2020, 10:31:13 PM »

The Sith language seems to have odd parallels or coincidences within other languages... So I'm sharing a little of that now because in SW "there is no such thing as coincidence" right? It's sometimes funny but also a little creepy (at least to me so far anyway) so we'll see what others think.

In Spanish the word Diablo means Devil in English. But if you take the word Diable from Sith it means "curse" in English. Found it funny it's only one letter away.

Going from the point of view of English into Sith, "All" translates into Visa... So Visa really does mean everything/ is a gateway to "All" in a Sith frame of mind.

A correlation between English and Sith again this time, Status = Right. Literally translated from English the word Right= Status as a Sith word. Kind of ironic because Sith determine the right to rule in their society by the status one holds. Power dictates where you stand more often than not, giving you the "right" to hold power in society.

So, those are the fun little ironic bits I've found in my work/research along the way that stuck out. I don't know if Visa is a Sith company but that would make credit card rules and skyrocketing debt make a whole lot more sense IMO. Completely a joke, but a scary thought. Channeled the Dark Side by accident huh Visa?  Shocked
And diable is litterally devil in French.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2020, 12:20:20 AM »

And diable is literally devil in French.
Awesomeness, thanks for that! So (from English) Curse translates into Diable in Sith which directly correlates to Devil in French/one letter off in Spanish for the same meaning as well. Too interesting... Adds an extra air of darkness to Sith Curses for sure.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2020, 01:15:29 AM »

French and English are both heavily Latin based languages, and in Latin "Devil" is "Diabolus", from which we also get the word Diabolical. So yeah, "Curse" in Sith being a variation of that makes sense.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2020, 01:38:56 AM »

French and English are both heavily Latin based languages, and in Latin "Devil" is "Diabolus", from which we also get the word Diabolical. So yeah, "Curse" in Sith being a variation of that makes sense.
Even so, I'm still wowed that the French word for Devil is perfectly synchronized with the Sith word for Curse... But yes, I paid attention in language studies and laughed when Latin was declared "a dead language" considering the Catholic Church uses it still prevalently (if I'm not mistaken) and it's fundamental in structure of so many languages in common use today. I understand that being a root language and a spoken language are highly different concepts, but dictionaries and English (among several other language, like French, Spanish, Italian, Greek, God knows how many possibly...) teachers always reference it as a learning tool for/meaning behind the words. I just found that direct correlation a bit astonishing, and love this type of thing tremendously. Makes me want to review info on creators of the Sith Language for their backgrounds in more depth. Possibly a French speaker making inside jokes along the way? But thank you for your knowledge/input as always Taegin.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2020, 06:07:29 AM »

But thank you for your knowledge/input as always Taegin.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2020, 07:38:27 AM »

Latin in used in Vatican, so you are right. But it's probably far from being the same language ancient Romans spoke. Hence the dead language status.
But still, many languages in Europe are based on it. So...

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2020, 02:17:43 PM »

English is actually a Germanic based language, it just has a lot of Latin based words because English mugs other languages in dark alleys to go through their pockets for spare words and loose grammar.

Darth Pandćmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2020, 03:55:20 PM »

English is actually a Germanic based language, it just has a lot of Latin based words because English mugs other languages in dark alleys to go through their pockets for spare words and loose grammar.
Grin -1 point for that analogy. That right there made me want to listen to some gangster rap while just pondering the thuggish style of the English language. "Oh those your words, I'll be taking those, give me all those prepositions to! I don't care what they mean, hand them over I'll figure out something to do with them; their mine now." I've always had so many people say how hard it is even attempting learning English... it's such a mutt of a language (sorry people in the UK this isn't a reflection on you, just a statement on the odd synthesis of the language because technically Americans further ba*****ized it over time) that it's often incomprehensible. Trying to learn it growing up I was often like WTF? because it feels like complex math but with the variables and equations constantly shifting.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2020, 11:49:57 PM »

You are right of course Illyiss (BTW, great to see you), but I think you could make an argument that it is as much Latin based as it is Germanic.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2020, 01:17:51 AM »

You are right of course Illyiss (BTW, great to see you), but I think you could make an argument that it is as much Latin based as it is Germanic.

The second biggest influence was French, which of course is Latin based, which is why there are so many different tense and plurality "rules" in English.  American English even more than the Queen's English.  Go home English, you're drunk.  LOL

Darth Pandćmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: