Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Comic Book Geeks. . .  (Read 3658 times)
Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 11:55:15 PM »

I am curious if all of our forum mates who claim sithiness would also carry that over to the comic book world and side with the villains of those universes?

Hmmmm

Light side points please Smiley

faheyb
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 12:07:34 AM »

There are some pretty cool bad guys out there and I do tend to root for their escape (not victory mind you) from time to time.  Unfortunately, they (comic companies) don't seem to make many ongoing titles for villains.  I have a fondness for Dr. Doom myself.  Way cool and classic!

Dark War Glaive Blazing Red Obsidian
Shock Arctic Blue Obsidian FOC Silver
Raven SS Violet Amethyst Obsidian FOC Silver
Crimson Reaper Adegan Silver Obsidian FOC Blazing Red
Dark Prophecy V3 CG FOC AS Obsidian
LE Shock Fire Orange Obsidian FOC Silver
Manticore Sentinel Yellow Obsidian FOC Orange
Dark Initiate Sentinel Yellow Stunt

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 12:10:48 AM »

@JR i really doubt it, other than the odd villain who is sometimes a hero (Magneto, Venom etc) most of the villains are properly despised.

They might have a favourite villain, but siding with them outright, i somehow doubt it. Its something about the sith that they all get drawn into.

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 12:11:39 AM »

I am curious if all of our forum mates who claim sithiness would also carry that over to the comic book world and side with the villains of those universes?

Hmmmm

I can empathize with some - Magneto, for example, or Mr. Freeze (as depicted in Batman: TAS as a tragic figure) - but many aren't so easy to empathize with.  There is little real tragedy to them, and I would have problems playing a villain without some degree of tragedy - I think it humanizes them a bit.

The Joker, Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, Dr. Doom - nowhere near points of redemption.

I like reading the plotlines involving certain villains more, because I'm sure they'll be interesting - JLA's World War III was good, and Tower of Babel was EXCELLENT...

Ultimate Spider-Man was pretty good - I loved watching Spidey tell Kingpin fat jokes - but it seemed like they ran through villains VERY quickly.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

faheyb
Knight Ensign

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 12:28:18 AM »

Loved JRJR's work with Strazynski's writing on Amazing Spider-Man.  That was some great stuff!

Darth Cestual
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -50

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 02:01:42 AM »

I was big into comics in the '90's when I was trying to get into the industry. Not so much these days since I live out in the boonies, but on those rare instances when I'm near a newsstand or *gasp* and actuall comic shop, I'll drop a good $100 on comics.

KrystheSith
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -65

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 02:34:19 AM »

I've read quite a bit of the early Spawn comic line, but I just recently started looking into comics as a hobby. I'm just not sure where I want to start. I guess I'm just going to have to go in and pick a few up and start there to get a feel on what I'm going to like.

Dark Side Points or you perish!
Sabers Owned:
VA Dark Standard Issue v3 Staff with UE initiate blades. "Gemini"
RGB SS Raven UEHG Blade "Hysteria"
SRD Red Liberator with UEHG Blade (Grab Bag) "Holly"
Wish List:
Monarch
Graflex
Prophecy
Catalyst

faheyb
Knight Ensign

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 02:51:01 AM »

@Krysthesith:  That is the best way to do it.  Just grab a handful that look good to you and see if there is anything you like.  I bought a few of the Spawn issues when they first came out.  McFarlane's work was beautiful.  But I digress, it took me a while to get a core group of books that I followed on a consistent basis.  From there, I would try another title from time to time.  I would give anything new a 12 month trial.  If I didn't like it after 12 months, I ditched it.  Eventually, I started branching out into original artwork, sketches, promotional posters, etc..  It is a little addictive.  Sort of like sabers.  LOL!   I wish you well and hope you have fun!! Smiley 

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 04:01:25 AM »

@Krysthesith:  That is the best way to do it.  Just grab a handful that look good to you and see if there is anything you like.  I bought a few of the Spawn issues when they first came out.  McFarlane's work was beautiful.  But I digress, it took me a while to get a core group of books that I followed on a consistent basis.  From there, I would try another title from time to time.  I would give anything new a 12 month trial.  If I didn't like it after 12 months, I ditched it.  Eventually, I started branching out into original artwork, sketches, promotional posters, etc..  It is a little addictive.  Sort of like sabers.  LOL!   I wish you well and hope you have fun!! Smiley 

You might also, as I try to say on every thread that discusses reading, try out your local library!  I just read Clone Wars 1-7 and Planet Hulk courtesy of my local branch.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -141

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 04:08:15 AM »

Wouldn't call myself a comic book geek, I'm a star wars geek, but I do read a few books that catch my eye. As to Rel's question about Sithy types and villian following, only when the villian is conflicted or working towards his idea of the greater good. Magneto is the easy example, I'm spacing on his name at the moment but the smartest man on cinder from the Watchmen, (Graphic Novel not comic book I know but I don't seperate the two).

It is not the side of the force we chose, but our actions that define us.
Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 04:10:04 AM »

Wouldn't call myself a comic book geek, I'm a star wars geek, but I do read a few books that catch my eye. As to Rel's question about Sithy types and villian following, only when the villian is conflicted or working towards his idea of the greater good. Magneto is the easy example, I'm spacing on his name at the moment but the smartest man on cinder from the Watchmen, (Graphic Novel not comic book I know but I don't seperate the two).

Ozymandias is who you're thinking of.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 04:12:06 AM »

Thanks Ed, was going to grab the book to find out but the wife is sound asleep didn't want to wake her. Probally could have used this google function I've heard so much about. Smiley

Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 04:41:52 AM »

Thanks Ed, was going to grab the book to find out but the wife is sound asleep didn't want to wake her. Probally could have used this google function I've heard so much about. Smiley

I've enjoyed a lot of Alan Moore's work - I really liked Watchmen, From Hell, and The Killing Joke...

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Archon - "Insight"

Darth Severus
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 04:49:18 AM »

Alan Moore, the few books I've read is really awesome, the Watchmen, really translated well to film in my opinion which is really rare. AMC has done a decent job with the Walking Dead, they have changed alot I know but for TV the theme and tone has been remarkable.
Not that closely based to a comic but I thought X-Men First Class did service to the story and really relaunched the movie franchise.

Dark Liberator-AS
Phantasm Staff -DVA

KrystheSith
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -65

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 05:35:47 AM »

I'm not even sure where the local library is. I'll have to ask my in-laws... or probably (more likely) google it. Hopefully it's in walking distance. I might just go spend a day there. I love libraries. Smiley

Dark Side Points or you perish!
Sabers Owned:
VA Dark Standard Issue v3 Staff with UE initiate blades. "Gemini"
RGB SS Raven UEHG Blade "Hysteria"
SRD Red Liberator with UEHG Blade (Grab Bag) "Holly"
Wish List:
Monarch
Graflex
Prophecy
Catalyst

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print