Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Stripped thread for blade retention screw  (Read 2800 times)
Brian64
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

This is a fertile land, and we will thrive

« on: April 25, 2014, 12:25:10 PM »

Hi all,

Not sure if this is something the members here can answer or if it's something I need to email Emory about.

I've managed to strip the thread on my Archon emitter while trying to tighten the blade retention screw. Basically I'm unable to tighten the screw enough to hold a blade without it slipping out. The screw isn't the problem as I tried another screw from another emitter and got the same result.

I did try wrapping some tape around the end of the blade to help provide some extra grip in the emitter and hopefully avoid the need to tighten the screw as much but it didn't work.

At the risk of parading my hardware ignorance, would a slightly larger screw work? If so, what size would I need to get if I visited an Australian hardware store?

On a related topic, I wouldn't mind doing away with the normal blade retention screws for most of my sabers, so for those of you that use thumb screws successfully, what size is needed as a replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Light side points please

scraver
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 89

Force is in the application

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 11:03:07 PM »

In theory, you might be able to 'repair' the damaged thread with the correct size tap. Don't quote me on that though.

Guardian with Sound (Emerald) and nickel plated shroud

Wish list:
Bunch of DIY bits. Cheesy

striker8
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -8

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 09:48:40 AM »

Without seeing how bad the threads are it's hard to say what the best fix would be but you have a few options. The two easiest for those without experience are as follows.

You can drill and tap the hole out to 10-32 and put in the same length 10-32 set screw as the old 8-32 one.

You can get some aluminum repair epoxy, fill the hole and drill and tap it back to 8-32 and replace the screw to make sure it's threads aren't garfed.

The first is a sure fire fix but it will no longer be in the standard US blade screw size and you'll need a new wrench. The second allows you to retain the 8-32 standard size but you will have to do some sanding and filling of the epoxy preparing it for drilling and taping.

Brian64
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

This is a fertile land, and we will thrive

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 10:11:22 AM »

Thanks guys.

Not sure how to describe the problem, except to say that when the screw gets to the point where it extends into the next it gets quite loose and there is quite a bit of movement (relatively/proportionally, given the size of the screw)

Looks like I'll have to do some research to find out how to do any of those repairs. I can use a drill to make a hole, and that's about it. I currently have no idea how to tap the emitter to any size, and I doubt I have the hardware required in my multipurpose toolkit.

I've got a bunch of different wrenches so I'm not too worried about needing a different one for that emitter, so the idea of enlarging it doesn't bother me too much if it fixes the problem.

Thanks again

Light side points please

striker8
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -8

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 05:43:35 AM »

Thanks guys.

Not sure how to describe the problem, except to say that when the screw gets to the point where it extends into the next it gets quite loose and there is quite a bit of movement (relatively/proportionally, given the size of the screw)

Looks like I'll have to do some research to find out how to do any of those repairs. I can use a drill to make a hole, and that's about it. I currently have no idea how to tap the emitter to any size, and I doubt I have the hardware required in my multipurpose toolkit.

I've got a bunch of different wrenches so I'm not too worried about needing a different one for that emitter, so the idea of enlarging it doesn't bother me too much if it fixes the problem.

Thanks again

It is stripped from your description.

If you can screw in a screw and can use a power drill I expect you can fix it since it's basically drilling a hole and screwing the tap into it.  There are videos that can show you the basics and most DIY/hardware, and auto parts places should sell tap and drill combos and the screws to match.

eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 02:58:22 PM »

Yeah, it's stripped. I did that to my Bellicose too months ago by tightening it one twist too much - it just popped the threads. I just drilled and tapped a new 8-32 as seen below in the image and used a normal retention screw instead of the hex head that the Bellicose normally uses. I replaced the one in the picture with the one from my Manticore emitter and it fits flush. I actually prefer this setup and it leaves me to add bunny ears to my Bellicose one day, which I plan to do right where the old hole was.

If this happened to your Archon emitter, all you'd have to do is drill and tap another 8-32 in a similar spot, say 90 - 180 degrees away from the current hole and it will hold a blade again.

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

DArkonnen
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 11

Thanks for the memories. 1959-2014

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 02:49:22 AM »

How much is too much, out of curiosity? I usually tighten the retention screw until it stops and can't be tightened anymore. Should I be stopping before that? I don't want to strip my sabers' threads. I'm glad I found this topic. Whew.

Graflex SE in Arctic Blue (UltraEdge) - Lord Vane's Luke ESB v.2 sound font

The Chosen One SE in Blazing Red (Midgrade) - Lord Vane's Darth Vader sound font (Vader breathing idle)

eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 05:14:13 AM »

How much is too much, out of curiosity? I usually tighten the retention screw until it stops and can't be tightened anymore. Should I be stopping before that? I don't want to strip my sabers' threads. I'm glad I found this topic. Whew.

Always use the long end of the wrench in the socket, (not as the handle), and tighten it so that it stops moving, but no more. Test it by grabbing the blade and hilt and seeing if there's any give or play. If it's solid, it's good.

If actually fighting with the saber, check it frequently as hard impacts may loosen it after a few hits. If this happens, tightening it once more usually makes it sit for longer than the first time did, if not the rest of the session.

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: