Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Rockin' It Old School  (Read 3561 times)
Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« on: May 28, 2015, 02:25:38 PM »

How many Old School gamers we got? I'll even accept the younger crowd that just happens to retroactively good taste.

I've recently been on a N64 kick, reliving my glory days on EpI Racer and Rogue Squadren (the OG). What astounds me is how much I've actually improved during the hiatis of playing these games from playing the newer more advanced games. I had no agenda for surpassing records on either of these games, I was just out for a nostalgic good time. But as I was playing I noticed that I was flying way more recklessly than I did when I was trying to gold, and still pulling off gold metal standings with minimal efforts. It was kinda crazy.

Anybody else have retro-gaming stories of renewed glory?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Inzane
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 30

Light side points please.

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 05:44:30 PM »

My old school goes further back than that.  I have fond memories of Rebel Assult I & II as well as X-Wing, Dark Forces and associated sequels on my PC back in the day.

And to go back even further I have memories of playing Empire Strikes Back on the Atari 2600 (although I didn't own that one.  Had to borrow the cartridge or play it at my friend's house).

As far as playing them recently unfortunately not.   Most of those early PC games I ran on my 486 and were DOS based.   Once I'd upgraded into the Pentium era and windows largely took over from DOS, many of those games were no longer playable.   (I haven't really delved into what's available for emulators or other tweaks to get old games to run on current hardware).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:48:20 PM by Inzane » Logged

Aeon v3 (BR, 32" MG)
Dominix LE v4 w/ sound (SRD w/ AB FoC, 32" UE)
Dark Initiate LE v3 (BR, 24" UE)
Initiate LE v3 (GB, 24" UE)

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 06:07:32 PM »

My old school goes further back than that.  I have fond memories of Rebel Assult I & II as well as X-Wing, Dark Forces and associated sequels on my PC back in the day.

And to go back even further I have memories of playing Empire Strikes Back on the Atari 2600 (although I didn't own that one.  Had to borrow the cartridge or play it at my friend's house).

As far as playing them recently unfortunately not.   Most of those early PC games I ran on my 486 and were DOS based.   Once I'd upgraded into the Pentium era and windows largely took over from DOS, many of those games were no longer playable.   (I haven't really delved into what's available for emulators or other tweaks to get old games to run on current hardware).

Never got into the PC gaming. I much prefer the feel of buttons and a stick (D-pad minimum). The reason I always loved console games was because, those systems would never upgrade making the software obsolete. The entire thing became obsolete when the tech advanced. But because they were small, they could easily be stored and dusted off when you felt like going down memory lane.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 06:26:36 PM »

I just bought Rebellion on GOG a few days ago.  I could have bought Rebel Assault, but I didn't want to pay $10 bucks for it.  TIE Fighter is still as good as ever though. 

I don't do old school console gaming anymore because all I have is a PS3.  My brother has all the consoles going back to the original NES.  Fond memories of the Super Star Wars games on SNES though.   

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 06:44:16 PM »

I'm currently in possession of NES, SNES, and N64. I have some of the new systems, but I prefer the "classics." I also run DOSbox on my PC so I can play DOS based games. One of these days, I'll buckle down and save up for a coin-op arcade cabinet. Until then though, NES is the oldest I have.

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »

I just bought Rebellion on GOG a few days ago.  I could have bought Rebel Assault, but I didn't want to pay $10 bucks for it.  TIE Fighter is still as good as ever though. 

I don't do old school console gaming anymore because all I have is a PS3.  My brother has all the consoles going back to the original NES.  Fond memories of the Super Star Wars games on SNES though.   

Never let old systems go for the new. But then I love gaming a little more than I probably should. I owned 3 PS2 games before I ever owned the system. Grin Roll Eyes

I briefly owned a NES, but lost need of it throught the fantastic emulator on the Wii. NTM NES games on the Wii Shop are only $5 to download. I miss my Wii.

But currently, I own a Genesis, N64, PS2, and PS3. I've never gotten rid of games, although there are some I wish I never bought.

Sig by For Tyeth

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 06:53:09 PM »

It's not that I let the old systems go, it was just that my brother is the one who bought all of them growing up and we both played them.  Our first NES was mine though, a birthday present back in the 80's I think.  It eventually stopped working.

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 06:56:57 PM »

It's not that I let the old systems go, it was just that my brother is the one who bought all of them growing up and we both played them.  Our first NES was mine though, a birthday present back in the 80's I think.  It eventually stopped working.

Yeah, older consoles just don't hold up. I need to test my Genesis. I still have games for that system on my wishlist. E-SWAT, Rocket Knight Adventures, ToeJam & Earl: Panic on Funkatron. So much good times.

Sig by For Tyeth

Dschadir NL
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 05:04:38 PM »

Very much addicted to gaming old and new, console or handheld. With gaming I mean playing actual games and not Flappy Bird or Candy Crush.  Smiley

I am the proud owner of a Sega Game Gear, Master System and Mega Drive (the Genesis in Europe). A NES, GBA, DS, 3DS, Wii, WiiU and RetroN 5 to play my SNES games. A PSP, Vita and PS4. An XBOX, X360 and XBOX One. Oh yeah and an Atari Lynx.

I am a collector and a player and only try to get those games that interest me, like games I use to own, games I have played back in the days or games I wanted and could not afford at the time. Usually this means getting the top games like Metroid, Streets of Rage 2 or any Zelda game.

There also was a time that I was an avid PC gamer, but that is limited nowadays to Starcraft 2 or shooters like  the Far Cry games.

Currently I'm finishing Mad Max on the X1, before continuing with MGS5. Hopefully I'm done in time for when SW: Battlefront is released later this year. Too bad I can't put my Ultrasaber on a portal and play with it online :-)

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid - May the Force be with you!!!

Venthros
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

Light Side Points Please!

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 06:11:59 PM »

I'm an old school gamer myself. I have a pretty diverse collection of games. I collect mostly for NES and SNES games, but have a bunch for other consoles as well.

@Darth Logos: I guess mileage varies with the old consoles. I have the original NES that my dad got me in 1990, and it's never even flinched in all these years, with heavy use. I've thrown a N64 out of a 4th story window in anger back in 2002, and it still works today. The more recent consoles have red-rings, yellow lights, firmware/software updates, and on-disc DLC. Not that I don't play current-gen stuff...but I much prefer the older consoles. Might just be me.

Owned
Mantis CE Emerald
SIBS V3 Blazing Red (Grab Bag)

"If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you could ever imagine".

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 07:54:02 PM »

I'm an old school gamer myself. I have a pretty diverse collection of games. I collect mostly for NES and SNES games, but have a bunch for other consoles as well.

@Darth Logos: I guess mileage varies with the old consoles. I have the original NES that my dad got me in 1990, and it's never even flinched in all these years, with heavy use. I've thrown a N64 out of a 4th story window in anger back in 2002, and it still works today. The more recent consoles have red-rings, yellow lights, firmware/software updates, and on-disc DLC. Not that I don't play current-gen stuff...but I much prefer the older consoles. Might just be me.

ThinkGeek has a 6in1 console that still runs on old cartridges. Already have it saved on a wishlist.

Speaking of modern systems...I had a Wii that was pretty much only ever used for Netflix and old-school downloads from Wii Shop. I miss that system.

Sig by For Tyeth

Venthros
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

Light Side Points Please!

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 08:22:50 PM »

ThinkGeek has a 6in1 console that still runs on old cartridges. Already have it saved on a wishlist.

Speaking of modern systems...I had a Wii that was pretty much only ever used for Netflix and old-school downloads from Wii Shop. I miss that system.

I love the Wii.

If you're talking about the retron 5, I'd highly recommend you stay away from it. I've had mine for a while now and I'm honestly surprised I haven't thrown it in the trash yet.

Owned
Mantis CE Emerald
SIBS V3 Blazing Red (Grab Bag)

"If you strike me down, I will become more powerful than you could ever imagine".

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 09:08:55 PM »

I love the Wii.

If you're talking about the retron 5, I'd highly recommend you stay away from it. I've had mine for a while now and I'm honestly surprised I haven't thrown it in the trash yet.

Not sure.

Sig by For Tyeth

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -841

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 08:41:45 PM »

Great Thread. I own an atari 2600, intellivision, NES, Genisis, original Gameboy, Super Nintendo, Sega CD, All four Playstations, XBOX 360, and a Wii. All are in perfect working order and all games work perfectly. I redid all of the internals on the older cartridge systems so no blowing needed for the NES. Actually just put my NES advantage back together. I haven't fired up the atari in about 10 years but finding this thread makes me want to pull it out and see if it still fires up to play Asteroids, Missile Command, or even The Empire Strikes Back.    Love old gaming! Many thousands of miles on all of them. The only one I don't have that I owned is my N64 my ex put under the wheels of her truck and ran it over.... three times. I may have deserved it, I was a terrible boyfriend in my early 20's. Sucked because my favorite Zelda games were on there.

Lord of a 1000 sabers. Well almost!

Arsenal: Lots (35 Ultra Sabers)
Most Wanted: That one, oh yeah that one too, oh hell all of them.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: