Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Down
Author Topic: What Lightsaber Form Do You Favor?  (Read 103462 times)
RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2011, 05:24:46 AM »

It' about 35% Ataru, 35% Soresu, 20% Makashi and 10% Shien. The Ataru is because I mostly dodge attacks instead of blocking, and I move around a lot. Soresu because, even though I mostly dodge, I do block a lot also. I also like to study how my opponent fights. Makashi because I like to occasionally use a one-handed grip and I like to do quick jabs and attacks. Shien is mostly because I like to use a reverse-grip. Not sure if that counts but it does to me! Besides, If I were a Jedi I would rather learn all of the forms (or a great range) instead of just Niman. Niman seems kind of like a "cop out" to me.

Oh and one more thing: "Maksoratien" is so much more fun to say than "Niman."  Wink

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2011, 05:47:40 AM »

Well RLYHYPERGUY, it seems you invented your own form.

Shall we start calling you "Master of Maksoratien?" Cheesy

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 759

Suns of the Force

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2011, 02:51:20 PM »

Wow that is an interesting combination!  I would love to see it in action!

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2011, 04:46:27 AM »

Haha it's not really a "form." It's more of a mindset actually, kind of how I naturally fight. And yes you may call me "Master of Maksoratien." In fact I would love you too  Tongue

Master Lucien Kane
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 296

Jedi Knight of the Old Republic

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2011, 06:44:42 AM »

Juyo/Makashi mix up, I kind of pulled from fighting I liked in the Star Wars films, real world martial arts techniques I know, assessed my personality traits and what form really fits me the most, and then I blended them with fighting styles I liked from other movies... I.E Blade, and Achilles from the movie Troy, ect. etc.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2011, 02:46:55 PM »

I feel like maybe we should consider posting videos to demonstrate our styles - maybe on a new thread under Videos.  It seems like we all have unique and cool mixes of abilities, and it would be awesome to see and compare them all!

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Suns of the Force

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2011, 05:16:14 PM »

I feel like maybe we should consider posting videos to demonstrate our styles - maybe on a new thread under Videos.  It seems like we all have unique and cool mixes of abilities, and it would be awesome to see and compare them all!

Agreed!  Get your butt home so we can do just that!

Darth Famine
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -14

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2011, 02:22:26 PM »

I personally use three forms of light saber combat. My preferred form is soresu. But i may transfer to either ataru or shien. I find these forms work to my advantage seeing as im made a a smaller stature.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken
The code of the Sith.
((______(o___(:|:| LIBERATOR GUARDIAN BLUE

Darth Vehement
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -5

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2011, 02:40:30 AM »

Hello, I'm new here. My saber is in the mail. I am part of a 6 man fight choreography team called Cry Havoc in Austin TX. I have studied (meaning read) on all the major form of lightsaber combat. After figuring out which actual martial arts each form is logically linked to, the team and I came to the conclusion that form 7 was what I favor. A lot had to do with emotion and extroverted personality traits. I don't think any form is better than the other though.

We did a test run of teaching a small class the 7 main forms and were able to give each form a hyper distinctive look, based on studying the text and movies. Since each form is different, we even had different warm ups for each group. Some thought form 3 was kinda boring because it's mostly defensive, but once they saw a teacher put it to use, a smile came over their face. It was SO MUCH FUN!!!!

Darth Famine
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: -14

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2011, 02:51:14 AM »

I also use ataru because I'm shorter its easy for me too twist and dodge around my opponent.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken
The code of the Sith.
((______(o___(:|:| LIBERATOR GUARDIAN BLUE

Slaide
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2011, 01:59:41 AM »

I use a lot of Form II, being 6'0'' and only 135lbs I've found speed usually wins me the battles, the precision of Makashi seems to accomplish this best for me. I also completely agree with the whole footwork deal, mixing up the retreat/advance pattern is a great way to confuse your opponent and keep them off guard, also if your making sure you aren't getting flanked in team duels then you can usually hold off two people. As effective as i've found Makashi to be I'm not at all opposed to using some stronger two handed strikes at the right moments either, i'm not sure if that alone falls under Form V, but at the right time it's definitely a good tool to wear down opponents, or advance an attack.

Catalyst- Blazing Red

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2011, 04:35:03 AM »

When I get a copy of the forms disk, whenever it is available and review it I will let you know.  I took fencing in college for two terms for exercise purposes  and was even asked to join the team but never did.  Later while in the Air Force I took TKD and got close to red belt but had to quit due to a change of location, and never resumed training.   Oh, and Marksman with M-16 and shotgun, but could only get close with a grenade (haha).  Well, it was sort of on topic.

=====================================================================
Zartom   Socerer (Healer)                             Qui-Tom  Sage (Healer)
Trenok   Bounty Hunter (Powertech)               Vartom   Knight (Sentinel)
=====================================================================

Caine
Disgraced
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -129

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2011, 06:38:31 AM »

My style? You can call it the "art of fighting without fighting."  Wink

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Ycw0d_Uow" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Ycw0d_Uow</a>

Master Artorius Vidnyl
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander

Suns of the Force

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »

My style? You can call it the "art of fighting without fighting."  Wink

All respect to Bruce Lee!  "Styles tend to not only separate men - because they have their own doctrines and then the doctrine became the gospel truth that you cannot change. But if you do not have a style, if you just say: Well, here I am as a human being, how can I express myself totally and completely? Now, that way you won't create a style, because style is a crystallization."

This actually brings up a great point, Master Caine that can bump this thread into a new life cycle.  There are 7 forms of Lightsaber combat (which Master Caine has developed in to 7 styles of LED Lightsaber combat.  Check out his and Master Novastar's work here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=1010.0

These styles are only the beginning!  Many people on the forum have stated that they use a personalized combination of the 7 classic styles and many people believe they have created their own style.  This is important to all Lightsaber enthusiasts and to martial artists as well.  When you are sparring with whomever you spar with, you start by emulating the style you have learned.  Eventually you grow and develop your own way of fighting.  This is the self expression that Bruce Lee refers to!  People will recognize you from a distance simply by how you are moving while you fight.

That being said, new members:  Let us know what you use or what you want to use!  There are lots of experienced Lightsaber Enthusiasts on the forum and we are all willing and wanting to help you grow in your experiences!

MAV

Master BStone
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 22

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2011, 12:44:28 PM »

all members...new and old. always the student mind.Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: