Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 945950 times)
Jammo
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 326

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #360 on: December 27, 2013, 04:21:11 AM »

I feel like the Sith aren't doing anything good for themselves nowadays.

Dark Lord of the Sith used to mean "HOLY MOTHER OF ALL GUNDARKS, I'M JUST A JEDI MASTER, I CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS! PLEASE KILL ME QUICKLY, OH GREAT DARK LORD OF EVIL!" You had to be a freaking great hero to kill one.

I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but now, Sith are basically just Jedi with red lightsabers and hormones. Heck, they even have a code! People like them as something other than villains! What the frell happened?

It used to be that two Sith were enough to threaten the Jedi Order, now armies of Sith aren't enough.

I haven't noticed much of a change in Jedi power (nothing consistent, anyway), but Sith power has gone way down.

Abeloth is what the Sith used to be. Not ability-wise (because Abeloth would literally eat any Sith, with the possible exception of Vader because metal is difficult to digest), but conceptually.

I feel like they should've left the Sith as some mysterious ancient threat.

This may seem odd coming from someone who doesn't like Sithies, but they just aren't decent villains anymore. I would totally love the Sith if they were proper villains again rather than emo objectivists (I'm looking at you, Vestara Khai. You belong in Twilight).

What you speak of is the whole reason Bane insisted on the Rule of Two, if you ask me. The Darkside was spread thin among the ranks of The Brotherhood of Darkness and real understanding of it was denied to what was mostly ex-Jedi with little actual knowledge of the history or true power of the Sith. Bane was disgusted enough with what these "Sith" were to go looking elsewhere. Think about that... these guys were powerful enough to fight the Republic to a pretty vicious stalemate and carve out an empire of their own, yet Bane thought they could do more? Now, being a Jedi myself I have the following commentary on all things Sith... many claim the name, few rate it. Even Krayt's order is a mere shadow of what Bane established. I think the best Sith villain should never be revealed. He should Keyser Soze his way around the Jedi and the Republic, existing only as a phantom, a rumor that can never be proven but should never be denied. Most lack the patience for this.

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #361 on: December 27, 2013, 04:36:33 AM »

I feel like the Sith aren't doing anything good for themselves nowadays.

Dark Lord of the Sith used to mean "HOLY MOTHER OF ALL GUNDARKS, I'M JUST A JEDI MASTER, I CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS! PLEASE KILL ME QUICKLY, OH GREAT DARK LORD OF EVIL!" You had to be a freaking great hero to kill one.

I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but now, Sith are basically just Jedi with red lightsabers and hormones. Heck, they even have a code! People like them as something other than villains! What the frell happened?

It used to be that two Sith were enough to threaten the Jedi Order, now armies of Sith aren't enough.

I haven't noticed much of a change in Jedi power (nothing consistent, anyway), but Sith power has gone way down.

Abeloth is what the Sith used to be. Not ability-wise (because Abeloth would literally eat any Sith, with the possible exception of Vader because metal is difficult to digest), but conceptually.

I feel like they should've left the Sith as some mysterious ancient threat.

This may seem odd coming from someone who doesn't like Sithies, but they just aren't decent villains anymore. I would totally love the Sith if they were proper villains again rather than emo objectivists (I'm looking at you, Vestara Khai. You belong in Twilight).

Interesting observation, I am biased toward the Jedi, but great heroes need great villains and the Sith have moved in a direction that doesn't interest me story wise.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #362 on: December 27, 2013, 04:39:59 AM »

All of the last couple thoughts...yes.

Emo objectivists indeed.

Lord Keyser Soze for the win.

Yes...many claim the titles...very..very...(waits to establish a dramatic pause)...very few rate them.

Light side points please Smiley

Jammo
Knight Commander

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #363 on: December 27, 2013, 05:23:52 AM »

All of the last couple thoughts...yes.

Emo objectivists indeed.

Lord Keyser Soze for the win.

Yes...many claim the titles...very..very...(waits to establish a dramatic pause)...very few rate them.

Soze is one of the greatest villains ever because you're not even sure if he's real.

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 129

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #364 on: December 27, 2013, 09:53:39 AM »

I think the best Sith villain should never be revealed. He should Keyser Soze his way around the Jedi and the Republic, existing only as a phantom, a rumor that can never be proven but should never be denied. Most lack the patience for this.

They already did this with Sidious. He was the ultimate Sith; the great successor to Bane's line. I'm not sure you could do the same thing all over again and try to pass it off as new. Eventually, you can't S(no)oze your way around the galaxy forever, coexisting. They're the Sith, with the ultimate goal of destroying the Jedi and ruling the galaxy. They're not parasites.

GCW RP - Bothan Spc Tharu Tyy'n

Catalyst (CG) - Prophecy (VA) - The Beast (no blade)
Reading Textbooks; Playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

chicago.jedi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 287

Light side points please

« Reply #365 on: December 27, 2013, 01:03:09 PM »

I have to agree with Luna here that the Sith were best left in the past. I think they should be something the "was" and "are no more." An ancient and mysterious threat that nothing now lives up to.

Sidious was not a great Sith Lord in my opinion. Using an army of preprogramed clones to take over the galaxy just does not seem like the Sith way. Compared to some of the stuff Malgus' did, Sidious' plan seems like cheating.

I like the backstory of Palpatine being a collector of Sith lore and I think it should have been left at that, and not have him a master of these arts. This would fit well with his plan and attitude, kind of like the tales of the Nazi's dabbling in the dark arts. Palpatine as a politician toying with the Sith arts that he taugh himself is a good angle I wish had been played up. A man who picks and choices the parts of an art that he wants to use rather than studying it as a whole. And then trying to teach his half learned arts to a pupil....all of this would make a lot more sense, in my opinion.

There is just something about this "last in a long line of Sith Lords" that just does not work for me.

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #366 on: December 27, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »

I have to agree with Luna here that the Sith were best left in the past. I think they should be something the "was" and "are no more." An ancient and mysterious threat that nothing now lives up to.

Sidious was not a great Sith Lord in my opinion. Using an army of preprogramed clones to take over the galaxy just does not seem like the Sith way. Compared to some of the stuff Malgus' did, Sidious' plan seems like cheating.

I like the backstory of Palpatine being a collector of Sith lore and I think it should have been left at that, and not have him a master of these arts. This would fit well with his plan and attitude, kind of like the tales of the Nazi's dabbling in the dark arts. Palpatine as a politician toying with the Sith arts that he taugh himself is a good angle I wish had been played up. A man who picks and choices the parts of an art that he wants to use rather than studying it as a whole. And then trying to teach his half learned arts to a pupil....all of this would make a lot more sense, in my opinion.

There is just something about this "last in a long line of Sith Lords" that just does not work for me.

I'm a bit confused. You're agreeing with me that Sith should be left as a mysterious ancient threat, but saying that the concept "does not work" for you, and referencing Malgus as a good example of a Sith.

no

chicago.jedi
Knight Commander

Light side points please

« Reply #367 on: December 27, 2013, 02:32:45 PM »

I'm a bit confused. You're agreeing with me that Sith should be left as a mysterious ancient threat, but saying that the concept "does not work" for you, and referencing Malgus as a good example of a Sith.
I am saying that the concept of Palpatine as in the prequel movies does not work for me.

I see Malgus as being ancient. Part of the Sith when being a Sith Lord meant something, as you put it.

Palpatine as a continuation of that line does not seem to fit right...in my opinion. The Jedi thought they destroyed the Sith 1000 years ago. If that was a fact, and Palpatine was someone who taught himself the Sith arts rather than be a direct lineage of the Sith....that would make more sense to me and be a better fit in the series.

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #368 on: December 27, 2013, 02:43:42 PM »

I am saying that the concept of Palpatine as in the prequel movies does not work for me.

I see Malgus as being ancient. Part of the Sith when being a Sith Lord meant something, as you put it.

Palpatine as a continuation of that line does not seem to fit right...in my opinion. The Jedi thought they destroyed the Sith 1000 years ago. If that was a fact, and Palpatine was someone who taught himself the Sith arts rather than be a direct lineage of the Sith....that would make more sense to me and be a better fit in the series.

MOST Jedi believe that the Sith are no more...  but Yoda, the Grand Master, states in Episode I, "Always two there are, a Master and an Apprentice."  Meaning that at some point during Yoda's 900 year life span, a Sith or someone claiming to be one was encountered by the Jedi.  Maybe quoting from a holocron, arguably, but that sounds more like someone quoting fact.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

chicago.jedi
Knight Commander

Light side points please

« Reply #369 on: December 27, 2013, 03:02:11 PM »

MOST Jedi believe that the Sith are no more...  but Yoda, the Grand Master, states in Episode I, "Always two there are, a Master and an Apprentice."  Meaning that at some point during Yoda's 900 year life span, a Sith or someone claiming to be one was encountered by the Jedi.  Maybe quoting from a holocron, arguably, but that sounds more like someone quoting fact.
I always took what Yoda said to mean that IF the Sith were back, that they always work in pairs. I never took it that he always knew the Sith were still around.

All of my previous thoughts are just a hypothetical, alternate spin on the back story that I thought would make for a better story. Others have said they think the Sith would be better left in the past and I agree.

Jammo
Knight Commander

Hawk-Bat Leader

« Reply #370 on: December 27, 2013, 05:58:37 PM »

They already did this with Sidious. He was the ultimate Sith; the great successor to Bane's line. I'm not sure you could do the same thing all over again and try to pass it off as new. Eventually, you can't S(no)oze your way around the galaxy forever, coexisting. They're the Sith, with the ultimate goal of destroying the Jedi and ruling the galaxy. They're not parasites.

But even Sidious messed up the vision. He ruled the galaxy, sure, but for a couple decades with no credible successor (and always hotly contested by political intrigue and rebel movements). In that, he failed. Why reveal yourself? Rule the galaxy through replaceable proxies, if you must rule, but the age old grudge with the Jedi got the better of Sidious and he just HAD to do it in a big dramatic sweep. Exposure makes you a target.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 06:02:06 PM by Jammo » Logged

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #371 on: December 27, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »

Okay, reading the Bane Trilogy and Darth Plagueis might make you all appreciate what the Sith had to become in order to rule the galaxy; they were still powerful practitioners of the Dark Side, massively so, but they also had to become masters of commerce and galactic politics, cunning and espionage; they only numbered two at any given point in time and managed to move entire star systems.
"...Politics dies to thunderous applause..." The Sith did that, Sidious culminated that. He ruled for almost two decades and the reason there was rebellion was because some of the ex-politicians didn't like being out of the job (oversimplification but the point still stands; there will always be rebillion to any order), and the successful Rebellion was Palpatine's own making, anyway.

And to be fair, the movies do the Sith no justice. Their exposition is shocking throughout the entire saga.

Lord Krankenhaus
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 29

Light Side, Dark Side, you decide my fate.

« Reply #372 on: December 27, 2013, 09:04:15 PM »

Okay, reading the Bane Trilogy and Darth Plagueis might make you all appreciate what the Sith had to become in order to rule the galaxy; they were still powerful practitioners of the Dark Side, massively so, but they also had to become masters of commerce and galactic politics, cunning and espionage; they only numbered two at any given point in time and managed to move entire star systems.
"...Politics dies to thunderous applause..." The Sith did that, Sidious culminated that. He ruled for almost two decades and the reason there was rebellion was because some of the ex-politicians didn't like being out of the job (oversimplification but the point still stands; there will always be rebillion to any order), and the successful Rebellion was Palpatine's own making, anyway.

And to be fair, the movies do the Sith no justice. Their exposition is shocking throughout the entire saga.
I agree, I just read the Bane Trilogy and am working on Darth Plagueis. Shady stuff.

May the Force be with you, unless you plan to use it against me.
Phantasm V3 BR/BR
2 Aeon V3 GB/VA
Liberator V3 CG
Prophecy V3 GB
Initiate V3 FO
Phantasm Initiate V2 LE SY/SY
Bellicose SRD or DVA
Custom CG saber, "Clementine", Consular emitter/pommel, Dark Shock Body

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #373 on: December 27, 2013, 09:13:07 PM »

Why should the movies do the sith "justice"?  They are evil.  They are the bad guys.  The public does not want a sith forward movie...only a handful of fanboys and fangirls would.

Seriously.

Forgetting all this emo sith hugging that has come about due the EU, video games, and "off off off broadway" stories...Uncle Lucas intended the sith to just be bad guys...villains.

Shocked

Light side points please Smiley

Xaeyon
Knight Commander

読めるなら、連絡ください

« Reply #374 on: December 27, 2013, 09:34:28 PM »

Why should the movies do the sith "justice"?  They are evil.  They are the bad guys.  The public does not want a sith forward movie...only a handful of fanboys and fangirls would.

Seriously.

Forgetting all this emo sith hugging that has come about due the EU, video games, and "off off off broadway" stories...Uncle Lucas intended the sith to just be bad guys...villains.

Shocked

You're stupid popularised Sith are the emo dudes, not the Banite Order.

And when I say "do justice", I mean justice in their explanation and backstory. The Sith in ANH are just there (in fact, the whole OT, the Sith are never explained beyond "they hate the Jedi and destroyed us, now we must destroy them because they are evil"); in tPM, the Sith meet on a rooftop and discuss finally (WFT?) destroying the Jedi, do some battle and get chopped in half; in AotC, nothing is related to the Sith until the very end when Dooku and Sidious are finally seen together; and in RotS, even when Anakin is converted doesn't really give a good reason why the Sith Order is the way it is.

The Sith are the bad guys in the movie because all we know about them is that they are what the protagonist is struggling against. Uncle Lucas had some good ideas but could never tell a story quite right; the Sith have no exposition in the movies. It's not good enough to throw a villain in there and say he's bad because the good guy needs to fight someone. The movies never say what the Sith are, what they stand for, why they are the way they are; they are only defined by what the protagonist needs to fight.
I'm not saying make the Sith the protagonist, I'm just saying that they need a reason to be, and a reason to keep going. The EU in necessary to fill in all the character motivations lacking from Lucas' films.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: