Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 945982 times)
Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -567

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #1035 on: March 15, 2016, 04:29:58 AM »

I'd definitely say it's possible that Chewie had mercy. He could've killed him if he wanted to IMO.

Or...

Oh my goodness...

Chewie owed a life debt to Han.  You don't think Han went in knowing it could go horribly wrong, and instructed Chewie in the event that something happened, to shoot to wound instead of to kill, do you?  If so, that would make it Chewie's last act in service of Han Solo.

"Anger is a tool.  Use it; do not let it use you."
       --Gul Verden in Debtors' Planet by W.R. Thompson

"I'm a little Renlet, short and 'stout'
Here is my saber, watch me scream and shout!"
       --Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Flamberge BR with v4 Obsidian and 4-inch side blades

GregG124
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 436

There is only The Force.

« Reply #1036 on: March 15, 2016, 05:13:02 AM »

Or...

Oh my goodness...

Chewie owed a life debt to Han.  You don't think Han went in knowing it could go horribly wrong, and instructed Chewie in the event that something happened, to shoot to wound instead of to kill, do you?  If so, that would make it Chewie's last act in service of Han Solo.
Either way makes the death and recurring actions totally heartbreaking.

Sabers I Own:
Dominix LE V4 (Obsidian V3) - Consular Green
Arbiter (Obsidian Lite) - Consular Green
Liberator V3 (Stunt) - Guardian Blue

Light Side Points Appreciated

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #1037 on: March 15, 2016, 05:19:33 AM »

And along those lines...

I'm actually floored this commercial was allowed out in October before TFA came out--because when you watch it AFTER seeing the movie, well...it shot me right in the gut.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78lnkMgee5k" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78lnkMgee5k</a>

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #1038 on: March 15, 2016, 11:47:38 PM »

Random thought indeed...and not depressing like the ones above.

So I got to thinking about Wookiees thanks to the thread Drahcir started about the Holiday Special.  And since I can't shut up the Star TREK fan part of me that cannot help but think about everything (pseudo)scientifically, it occurred to me...

Humans perceive Wookiee speech as inarticulate growls and the first instinct is to assume that cannot be language.  (And truthfully I have no idea how Han gets what he does from listening to Chewie.)  But in-universe, I realized something based on what I know about language/sound processing in our own world's most intelligent species.

IF my guess about how the information is actually encoded in Shyriiwook is correct (which I would expect to be based on incredibly subtle variations in pitch, timing, timbre, and so forth, as opposed to phonemically based for the most part), then I realized that from Chewie's perspective, Basic is not a subtle thing at ALL.  In fact, it's probably like having the misfortune to be sitting in the middle of a preschool class listening to two year olds all day.  (No offense to the parents or teachers out there. Wink )  All in the ear of the "beholder"... Wink
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:57:13 PM by Darth Justicar » Logged

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

marina_bonomi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 152

Light side points, please

« Reply #1039 on: March 16, 2016, 02:52:01 PM »

Points well taken, Justicar.

Another thing comes to mind: do we know whether the Wookiees vocal range falls completely within the human hearing range?

My arsenal:

Dark Arbiter Obsidian V4 / Emerald
Stealth Dominix V4 in Arctic Blue

Darth Justicar
Knight Commander

Sun of Starkiller

« Reply #1040 on: March 16, 2016, 04:55:09 PM »

Points well taken, Justicar.

Another thing comes to mind: do we know whether the Wookiees vocal range falls completely within the human hearing range?

Now that's a good question, and I can't say I know the answer to that.  It would certainly add extra "bandwidth" if that were the case, although the same practical effect can be achieved by the ability to perceive finer distinctions than humans are generally capable of.

(As an interesting note, if I were to write a story about Han Solo, even though he never chose to be a musician--I can't imagine him being the type to sit still and practice!--I would give him perfect pitch.)

--Lyrics by Jev Moldara

Connah
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light, Dark, both extremes annoy me

« Reply #1041 on: March 16, 2016, 09:54:53 PM »

how did the clones know to not shoot Anakin when order 66 was given???

I mean they all knew who he really was, he still dressed like a jedi, had a blue saber and was still an officer in the republic army

was there some separate order given to the clones accompanying Anakin by Palpatine "execute order 66, but not on Anakin, we're cool with him"

"there's no such thing as overkill. It's just making sure"

Dominix V4 VA with sound
Scorpion R+B Emerald with sound

GregG124
Knight Commander

There is only The Force.

« Reply #1042 on: March 16, 2016, 09:58:36 PM »

how did the clones know to not shoot Anakin when order 66 was given???

I mean they all knew who he really was, he still dressed like a jedi, had a blue saber and was still an officer in the republic army

was there some separate order given to the clones accompanying Anakin by Palpatine "execute order 66, but not on Anakin, we're cool with him"
I'm sure there was some dialogue we didn't hear. "Oh by the way Clones, you will be accompanied by my newest Apprentice who was once a Jedi"

Sabers I Own:

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1043 on: March 16, 2016, 11:28:28 PM »

Random thought indeed...and not depressing like the ones above.

So I got to thinking about Wookiees thanks to the thread Drahcir started about the Holiday Special.  And since I can't shut up the Star TREK fan part of me that cannot help but think about everything (pseudo)scientifically, it occurred to me...

Humans perceive Wookiee speech as inarticulate growls and the first instinct is to assume that cannot be language.  (And truthfully I have no idea how Han gets what he does from listening to Chewie.)  But in-universe, I realized something based on what I know about language/sound processing in our own world's most intelligent species.

IF my guess about how the information is actually encoded in Shyriiwook is correct (which I would expect to be based on incredibly subtle variations in pitch, timing, timbre, and so forth, as opposed to phonemically based for the most part), then I realized that from Chewie's perspective, Basic is not a subtle thing at ALL.  In fact, it's probably like having the misfortune to be sitting in the middle of a preschool class listening to two year olds all day.  (No offense to the parents or teachers out there. Wink )  All in the ear of the "beholder"... Wink

I suppose it's a lot like that African clicking language....we only hear "click click clock click clock click click" but they know that means "Can you believe this jerk speaking English?"

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Connah
Knight Commander

« Reply #1044 on: March 17, 2016, 10:04:03 PM »

I'm sure there was some dialogue we didn't hear. "Oh by the way Clones, you will be accompanied by my newest Apprentice who was once a Jedi"

I just got a picture of how that could be played out.....bit robot chicken style"

Emperor "execute order 66"
*clones point guns at vader/Anakin*
Emperor "no wait, wait, wait. Not him, he's lord Vader, a new guy, not a Jedi, we're all cool with him"
Clone "are you sure, he looks and sounds exactly like Anakin, you know famous Jedi warrior, been winning loads of battles, in the news all the time, oh yeah and my commanding officer for the last 5 years"
Emperor"No, totally different guy, never even heard of this Anakin geeza have you Vader?"
Anakin "nope not at all, don't know who you're on abour rex"
Rex "....how'd you know my name?"

Dominix V4 VA with sound

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2769

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1045 on: March 18, 2016, 04:34:26 PM »

I just got a picture of how that could be played out.....bit robot chicken style"

Emperor "execute order 66"
*clones point guns at vader/Anakin*
Emperor "no wait, wait, wait. Not him, he's lord Vader, a new guy, not a Jedi, we're all cool with him"
Clone "are you sure, he looks and sounds exactly like Anakin, you know famous Jedi warrior, been winning loads of battles, in the news all the time, oh yeah and my commanding officer for the last 5 years"
Emperor"No, totally different guy, never even heard of this Anakin geeza have you Vader?"
Anakin "nope not at all, don't know who you're on abour rex"
Rex "....how'd you know my name?"

Anakin: "JEDI! Hello?!?.....Ah $#!%"

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Stovepipez
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 16

When slightly less then the best will do!

« Reply #1046 on: March 18, 2016, 10:33:06 PM »

He had a secret decoder ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregG124
Knight Commander

There is only The Force.

« Reply #1047 on: March 19, 2016, 07:01:53 AM »

He had a secret decoder ring.
Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

Sabers I Own:

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #1048 on: March 19, 2016, 08:01:50 AM »

I wonder if the troopers going in with Vader were even given Order 66, or just ordered by their Commander in Chief to storm the Jedi Temple with General Skywalker, the Jedi Order just tried to murder the Chancellor.   Orders are orders.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Connah
Knight Commander

« Reply #1049 on: March 19, 2016, 09:14:45 AM »

I want to know what rex and the other clone commanders from rebels were doing at the time of order 66
also they're story about cutting out the chip so they didn't betray their commanders doesn't sit right with me for a number of reasons:
1. How come Cody wasn't in on this thing with Rex, Wolfe and Gregor, as Cody and Rex were pretty close
2. Rex was part of the 501st, so he must have been with them during the assault on the Jedi Temple and surely Anakin would have noticed the absence of his right hand man
3. Wolfe seemed pretty paranoid that Jedi were coming for him, did he still follow through with order 66, after all he was Plo Koons clone commander and Plo Koon got very shot down
4. why didn't they get more clones in on it, we know from the series that they all had nightmares and sneaking suspicions about what their true purpose was, it seems half hearted to remove the chips of one captain and two commanders, who ultimately failed to prevent the deaths of their Jedi

Dominix V4 VA with sound

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: