Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Short Person?  (Read 2513 times)
InvaderBoo
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« on: October 06, 2013, 07:58:06 PM »

I'm looking to buy a staff in the Bane's Heart color, but I'm a short female (not quite 5'2") - I have been comparing the phantom initiate v2 and v3 as well as the regular size and the different blade lengths. I want my staff to not look like it was meant for a child and I'm concerned that the 24" blades might still be too short even given my height, but the 32" seems too long.

I guess I want to know what would be recommended for my size, hilt and blade-wise.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:01:18 PM by InvaderBoo » Logged

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 08:02:26 PM »

Get the 32" blades. If they're too long, you can always trim them down with a pipe cutter. But you can't add length to the 24's are too short.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Kitsune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -236

There is no Peace, there is only Passion...

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 08:05:27 PM »

A 32" blade should suite you fine.

Ryn
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 19

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 08:07:35 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Another factor to consider is how much of the hilts "eat" the blades. My Archon seats the blade 4 inches in, so a 36" blade becomes a 32". I'm about to order my son an initiate, but I am unsure of how far those hilts seat their blades.

As far as for you personally, it will ultimately come down to what you feel most comfortable with. I am on the short side at 5'6", and when doing sword kata with legs bent, I'm guessing I am around 5'3" to 5'4". So, the 32" blade with 4" sunk into the hilt works best for me. Generally, you'll tend to feel comfortable with a blade no longer than the inseam of your pants (especially if you're doing a lot of spinning with a staff). However, if you choose to spar with your sabers, you will typically want a full-length blade.

Hope that helps a bit!

Darth Kitsune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -236

There is no Peace, there is only Passion...

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 08:09:38 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Another factor to consider is how much of the hilts "eat" the blades. My Archon seats the blade 4 inches in, so a 36" blade becomes a 32". I'm about to order my son an initiate, but I am unsure of how far those hilts seat their blades.

As far as for you personally, it will ultimately come down to what you feel most comfortable with. I am on the short side at 5'6", and when doing sword kata with legs bent, I'm guessing I am around 5'3" to 5'4". So, the 32" blade with 4" sunk into the hilt works best for me. Generally, you'll tend to feel comfortable with a blade no longer than the inseam of your pants (especially if you're doing a lot of spinning with a staff). However, if you choose to spar with your sabers, you will typically want a full-length blade.

Hope that helps a bit!

The Initiate eats about 2" of the blade, so a 32 would become a 30.

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 08:19:08 PM »

For $5 US can cut a blade to any length you like. I have 30" blades in my staff, which work for me, and you may want to consider a similar length. They're a touch too short for single blade work, so my next 'sabres are likely to have 32" blades... but then, I suspect I'm in the distinct minority being 6' tall and preferring shorter blades.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:24:20 PM by James Casey » Logged

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

B1ondeange1
Game Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 3214

You can't take the sky from me....

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 08:25:19 PM »

My sister is 148cm tall (soz, brain isn't working for imp conversions) and a 32 is too long for her to spin comfortably. We got her a 24" and she likes that just fine- it ends up being the same length as her dance swords as well, so its a length she's used to working with.
she could probably go a 28" ok, but she likes the 24.
hope that helpd

M4-QT droid
Shayla Jaste Cosplay
Perth Spartans

archon v2.1, consular, dominix v3 LE, bellicose, 2x dark initiate v3 LE, dark initiate v2 LE, Aeonix v2, raven, 2x shock, 2x manticore, electrum wind em/v4 obs

Ryn
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 19

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 08:30:31 PM »

The Initiate eats about 2" of the blade, so a 32 would become a 30.

Thank you! Noted!

InvaderBoo
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 02:45:07 PM »

Thanks for the responses - it sounds like the 32" is what I will going with.
I notice you can buy initiate blades separately, is it possible to switch between the two sizes relatively easily?

Molina00
Forum Emissary
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 459

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 02:53:08 PM »

Thanks for the responses - it sounds like the 32" is what I will going with.
I notice you can buy initiate blades separately, is it possible to switch between the two sizes relatively easily?

Changing blades it as simple as loosening the retention screw, sliding the blade out, sliding the new blade in, and tightening the screw.  It takes less than a minute to change a blade.

I felt a great disturbance in the force as if millions of nerds cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

Lord Benzile
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -60

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 11:57:25 PM »

I have two intiate V'3s that i ocassionally make a staff with. FYI both hilts are 9.5" + 2" coupler. I use the 32" blades which drop to 30" sitting inside. Im 5"9 and all together it site above my head 6". I suggest since your tiny have them cut your blades to 30" so youll be at 28"

The Dark Jedi Order.....There is no ignorance, there is knowledge with instinct.

http://www.youtube.com/user/benlosi/videos

InvaderBoo
Force Sensitive

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 12:33:16 AM »

I have two intiate V'3s that i ocassionally make a staff with. FYI both hilts are 9.5" + 2" coupler. I use the 32" blades which drop to 30" sitting inside. Im 5"9 and all together it site above my head 6". I suggest since your tiny have them cut your blades to 30" so youll be at 28"

Hm, I might do this. How do I have them cut? Is this something I do myself, or is there an option for it on the site?

Lord Benzile
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -60

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 12:47:25 AM »

theres a comments box in the details section before you compplete your order. Just add cut blades to 28" and waaaa laaaa they will do it

The Dark Jedi Order.....There is no ignorance, there is knowledge with instinct.

http://www.youtube.com/user/benlosi/videos

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: