Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: What is your opinion on dueling with a non stunt saber?  (Read 3550 times)
buddygroove
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -116

Darth Havek

« on: March 30, 2017, 07:21:25 PM »

I remember this being talked about a long time ago, but can't remember what was said and I can't find that particular post. At least if anyone else is wondering the same thing they can possibly find the answers here.  Wink

Anyway, I'm curious to know if you think dueling with a non stunt saber is okay. I know these sabers are built for dueling and are very strong, but are the sound boards safe inside the hilts when clashing them? After all they aren't the one's labeled "stunt sabers". I don't think I will ever duel with my emerald saber since I only bought it for show anyway, but I now own a Prophecy with basic Obsidian Sound and want to duel with it. It's very easy to wield and perfect for learning with, so before I clash blades with it I figured I'd ask here first.

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »

Of course you can.

When you say they "aren't the ones labeled Stunt sabers"  - all that means by Stunt is they don't have Sound.

Literally the only difference is the one with Sound, well, has Sound.

Same hilt. Same durability.

The odds of a wire becoming detached on a saber with Sound is exactly the same as a Stunt saber.  There's just more connections so a slightly higher probability.

But I would wager more wire connections are broken by people messing around with the sound / power units then by dueling with them.

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

buddygroove
Knight Lieutenant

Darth Havek

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 08:03:47 PM »

I see. Glad to hear because I'm going to be wielding my Prophecy around like a mad man once my friend is willing to duel with me. lol

And thanks. Smiley

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »

Swing away!

My only suggestion would be some electrical tape around the battery pack; helps keep them in tight on a Lite.

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

buddygroove
Knight Lieutenant

Darth Havek

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 08:48:15 PM »

Ah good idea. I've seen others do that. I'll make sure to prepare it for battle. lol I have a comic con comes my way at some point this year and that they allow me to carry my saber with me.  Grin Grin Thanks again. Points!

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:18:30 PM »

Yeah, no issues at all. I've duelled with adults and kids both, sound and stunt, never had anything break on mine. Stunt 'sabres are great for filming, as filmmakers can add their own sounds - and you can probably throw them around a bit more freely when they cost $60 rather than $260!

As Lord C says, you're more likely to cause damage through lack of care than anything else. In four years, I can count the number of issues I've had on one hand, with fingers to spare Smiley One LED that the colours went odd on (fixed under warranty) and a broken wire (also fixed under warranty). In that time, at various times, I make it 43 different Ultrasabers that have passed through my hands at various points. That's a pretty decent record, I think!

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 12:05:05 AM »

Like LC and JC said, you most certainly can. I used mine for dueling before I got my stunt, and it never had a problem. So far the only issues I have had was a wire that came undone (Soldering didn't work right), and a faulty wire (which was from their install). The only thing to show that I have dueled with this saber is the blade film. I'd would say the scratches on the hilt, except that those are from me dropping it while just swinging it around, not dueling.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 02:34:50 AM »

I remember this being talked about a long time ago, but can't remember what was said and I can't find that particular post. At least if anyone else is wondering the same thing they can possibly find the answers here.  Wink

Anyway, I'm curious to know if you think dueling with a non stunt saber is okay. I know these sabers are built for dueling and are very strong, but are the sound boards safe inside the hilts when clashing them? After all they aren't the one's labeled "stunt sabers". I don't think I will ever duel with my emerald saber since I only bought it for show anyway, but I now own a Prophecy with basic Obsidian Sound and want to duel with it. It's very easy to wield and perfect for learning with, so before I clash blades with it I figured I'd ask here first.

I duel exclusively with US sabers and I have never had a wire come undone or had the soundcard break. Problems you may have, and this is for stunt sabers too:

The blade tips USED to come out if you clashed blades, but they've fixed this with MUCH better blade tips (Thanks guys!)
Some of the ornamental parts can come off such as screws and ornamental buttons and claws, you'll want to superglue or loctite them in place because the vibrations can loosen them. Same with the set screw, your blade can come out during an intense duel.

The batteries can sometimes come loose if the hilt has space for them to do so, so it can be good to velcro them in place, but, again, this isnt much of an issue anymore either.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

KaoticKronos
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 02:42:59 PM »

My buddy and I both use sabers with sound. He has other features like flash on clash. I haven't had any issues in dueling outside of his apprentice cutting out. The batteries tend to pop out. No problems out of mine at all. Duel away and have fun with it!

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 03:46:30 PM »

If anything, the sound setup might actually be safer.  The speaker mount is designed to fit exactly into the end of a MHS compatible hilt.  Therefore, your electronics aren't banging around on the inside of the hilt.  Im a stunt, your battery pack is free moving and clangs around inside your hilt, unless you pad it in some way.  I've seen pics of obliterated battery holders that have come out of stunts.

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »

If anything, the sound setup might actually be safer.  The speaker mount is designed to fit exactly into the end of a MHS compatible hilt.  Therefore, your electronics aren't banging around on the inside of the hilt.  Im a stunt, your battery pack is free moving and clangs around inside your hilt, unless you pad it in some way.  I've seen pics of obliterated battery holders that have come out of stunts.

One of my sabers battery holder is basically just the middle and the contacts and I have to tape it all together XD

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 04:29:38 PM »

I always wrap a layer of electrical tape around the batteries to make sure they stay in, and then a strip of Velcro around the whole pack to keep it snug. That keeps it from rattling, but they can sometimes still slide.  In those cases I usually just pack the end with wadded paper towel or a foam chunk and that keeps it from moving.  Remember not to make it too tight or at least put some kind of tab or pull on the pack to allow ease of removal for battery replacement.

Otherwise I've never hand an issue dueling full force with seven of my eight sabers. The eighth is an Archon v3.1, and I've used it at about 2/3's force with no issues (it's also an Emerald saber, so it has even more electronics than just the sound board).

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 04:55:06 PM »

Yeah, there are dozens of things you can do to pad it.  Cheap craft foam is another option, you can both wrap some around the pack and put some in the "excess" space to stop it from sliding up and down.

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 05:53:48 PM »

*Friend at con opens up saber pommel*
Whys there a bunch of wadded up paper towels in here?

True story.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 05:17:34 AM »

Very good point. I think a lot of people see a saber with sound and think of a Force FX, which you definitely wouldnt want to duel with, but Ultrasabers are all made for that, from the cheapest initiate stunt to the most expensive hilt with a diamond board, they're all meant to be used for combat and made to be tough.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: