Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Blade Shifting  (Read 2274 times)
Darth Merckx
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« on: December 22, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »

So I just received my sons Christmas Saber (Initiate LE with the Mid-grade blade, VERY nice). FYI this is my 1st ever Saber purchase. In playing around with it, gotta test it out for him...lol, I noticed that in a hard swing/stop that the blade shifts ever so slightly and click/pops just a bit. Has anyone else noticed this movement, or is this common?

Now, I  was thinking of "fixing" this by drilling and tapping in two more set screws to support the blade, each uniformly spaced around the hilt. Has anyone tried this "fix" before? Do any of you more experienced sabersmith/users see any inherent issues with this mod?

Thank you in advance.

The Cannibal lives!!!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 05:31:31 PM »

It happens to me all the time just because you're making the "whip" like strike. It's not all swings right? Just the quick ones.

You should also be able to see where the blade is bending by turing on the saber and looking for where the film creases when you swing.

The Mid Grades have a lot more give to them than the Heavy Grades.

The heavy grades have almost no give, they're super rigid.

So long as the blade isn't bending super far or making any Loud noises It should be ok.

The blades where designed so that they give a little when struck together to make them more durable.

Hope I could help.

P.S. - Mid-Grades still hurt to get hit with so watch your back when he get's. lol

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Merckx
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 05:46:36 PM »

Kham;

Yes, the movement is only from whip-like swings. After reading your response I think I will let him enjoy it for a bit before I address this, if at all.

I wacked myself to get it to make the impact sound so believe me I'll be keeping an eye on him for a while!

Thanks again for the reply.

The Cannibal lives!!!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 05:52:14 PM »

Kham;

Yes, the movement is only from whip-like swings. After reading your response I think I will let him enjoy it for a bit before I address this, if at all.

I wacked myself to get it to make the impact sound so believe me I'll be keeping an eye on him for a while!

Thanks again for the reply.

You are very welcome. Grin

I'm sure someone will have a more concise answer for ya.

----------------------------------------------

What color did ya get for him?

‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Merckx
Force Sensitive

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 03:17:01 AM »

Missed that question. Arctic Blue, looks really cool. When he saw the saber we received the "Best Christmas EVER!!!!!".
Good stuff!

The Cannibal lives!!!

Kham-Ryn Kurios
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 03:30:12 AM »

Missed that question. Arctic Blue, looks really cool. When he saw the saber we received the "Best Christmas EVER!!!!!".
Good stuff!

Choice color.

It's unique that's what's awesome about the premium color's.

Merry Christmas from the Kurios Residence. Grin

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 10:49:52 PM »

The blade isn't shifting, it's bending (very slightly).  Polycarbonate is a flexible material, which is one reason why it can take so much abuse.  Although it's not very noticeable, the blade does bend during use.  When the blade bends, it also bends the film inside it, which makes a popping sound as it crinkles and then straightens out again.  The film inside is flexible and bounces back, so it's nothing to worry about.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 01:09:13 AM »

I notice this in both my Mid Grade blades when I mess around with my sabers. Thanks for pointing that out Ultra. I figured there was something wrong with the hilts. (Liberator in Consular Green and Dominix V2 LE in Blazing Red). Both are amazing sabers and I love the blades and how bright and real they look. How the light reaches out the edges kinda reminds me of the in game lightsabers like on The force Unleashed kinda thing.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Sheik Godo
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 0

"Into the darkness I go..."

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 02:48:23 AM »

The only actual SHIFTING I've ever experienced was in my old Dominix (v1)... My Heavy-grade blade had a but of space between it and the Pipe that made up the hilt. I slipped a piece of paper in there and it was solid there after. The 6 blades I ordered after that had a perfect fit with the blade and hilt, but I still got the "Shifting" feel when I swung it really hard.

I felt pretty stupid when I let my girlfriend swing it, and she figured out what it was right away. It was the battery housing moving slightly inside the handle! 
I don't think It's anything to worry about... Our mid-grade blades take a heck of a beating, and we swing our heavy grades to kill... nothing's broken yet... Well, nothing except my friend's "Legitimate" saber (As he called it)! LOL... He deserved that though! XD

1 Dominix - Green
1 Phantom v2 - Red
1 Phantom v2 - Green
1 Phantasm v2 - Blue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: