Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: My first saber/New to forums/Modification advice.  (Read 1561 times)
Carnifex
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« on: January 12, 2012, 09:21:18 AM »

Hey guys,

I've been lurking the forums for a few weeks now, learning what I can about sabers.

Yesterday I ordered my first saber (Raven), so i thought it was time i actually joined and started posting Smiley

Anyway, I've got some plans for modifying the raven.

First thing ide like to do some heavy weathering on the saber, lots of burn marks and black grime.

some-what similar to the following pictures.

This is a US Bane with custom weathering.

I have a few questions regarding weathering.
Will i have to apply a primer in order to weather my saber in a similar way to this?
Also, does anyone have any idea what type of paint would be suitable? obviously something matte.

i also plan to have the claw of  my raven engraved with the short version of the sith code in aurebesh (one line on each side of each claw)

If anyone has any tips or suggestions for relativity easy mods for a complete beginner it would be greatly appreciated Smiley

Jenny
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 56

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 09:37:37 AM »

Primer increases how well the paint bonds to the metal.  If you actually want it to flake off, do not use primer.

Rogue Jedi
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 01:09:46 PM »

This looks like flat black textured spray paint, and the the lightsaber was attacked with sandpaper in various areas, using random sanding patterns/strokes.  To get the paint to stick, sand your new saber with 320-340grit sandpaper (I used 220 grit (courser)).  The idea is to give the saber "some tooth"-a rough surface texture that paint can adhere to.  After the paint dries (read can: some paints make take 5 days to fully cure), attack the saber like a 2 year old with a box of crayons.
(I didn't use primer for my sabers.)

Carnifex
Force Sensitive

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 01:37:25 PM »

awsome Smiley thanks for the tips guys.

do you ahve any pics of your sabers on here rogue?

Rogue Jedi
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 03:41:56 PM »

awsome Smiley thanks for the tips guys.

do you ahve any pics of your sabers on here rogue?

In this Discussion Forum (Ultra Sabers Customizations), look for the topic: How would I go about painting my sabers without the paint weathering away?
It's 8 threads down from this thread.

Carnifex
Force Sensitive

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 04:48:34 AM »

cool thanks again Smiley looks good!

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 10:55:01 PM »

O-Rings are a good start if you want something easy. Leather/cloth/etc. wraps are also a nice simple customization.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: