Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: "Build your own lightsaber"  (Read 8811 times)
Ezio
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« on: May 14, 2012, 02:22:04 AM »

Hi, Im new to this, and I will like to make my own lightsaber. The problem is that I dont know how this works, how I should select some of the lightsaber parts (like the  LED), who is going to assemble all the parts, how do I make my own, and some more things. So I was wondering if someone could explain me how this works?

Thanks.  Tongue

Axis Drakonys
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 03:06:45 AM »

I myself am not entirely sure of all the parts you would need to buy to build your own saber. However I do know that it is slightly more expensive to build your own from parts (about  $50) and you would have to build it yourself (you will need to soldier a few parts as well). Unless you just really want to make it yourself I would suggest buying a completed saber and buying a few parts to customize it (if you want).

Peace over Anger.
Honor over Hate.
Strength over Fear.

Lightside points are appreciated.

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 08:26:56 AM »

There are some tutorials on YouTube that can assist with building your own lightsaber.  That section of the Ultra Sabers web site is for people with better than average electronics skills.  I have built lightsabers out of PVC and still could not beat the price of a metal Ultrasaber if you count labor involved. 

I agree with Axis that you should take the Padawan's journey and receive your first lightsaber already built for you.  This way, you can customize and grow here on the forums until you are ready to take that next step and build your own. 

There are many here that are willing to help you and there are hundreds of DIY videos and tutorials with alot of time and research.  I have been doing research since August 2011 and I have only built PVC stunts and I am currently working on a Stunt Sink Tube saber with an illuminated switch.  It will probably be 2013 before I can build my first one with sound. 

Take your time and you will get there.

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 12:02:24 PM »

First off, nice name.  I just finished Assassins Creed Brotherhood and loved it, so that earned you a point Wink

Second, I echo what bluespike says - you might want to look into buying a premade one first.  Building your own saber is excellent, but it can be difficult if you're inexperienced at electronics work (soldering, etc).  By the time I built mine I was VERY familiar with the setups of these sabers (having bought a dozen or so), and I still had trouble!

However, if you really want to build a saber, I'd recommend starting with a stunt.  For that you'll basically need an LED module, wire, resistor, heat shrink, battery pack, and switch (not to mention a soldering iron and appropriate solder).

Ezio
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 03:22:42 PM »

First off, nice name.  I just finished Assassins Creed Brotherhood and loved it, so that earned you a point Wink

Second, I echo what bluespike says - you might want to look into buying a premade one first.  Building your own saber is excellent, but it can be difficult if you're inexperienced at electronics work (soldering, etc).  By the time I built mine I was VERY familiar with the setups of these sabers (having bought a dozen or so), and I still had trouble!

However, if you really want to build a saber, I'd recommend starting with a stunt.  For that you'll basically need an LED module, wire, resistor, heat shrink, battery pack, and switch (not to mention a soldering iron and appropriate solder).

What is the stunt? and where can I get it? Also if I want to get a premade one, I just need to go to "saber with sounds", and to those lightsabers, you can add somethings like the emitters or not? Because I would like to add the Dark war Glaive emitter with claws. Cheesy

Thanks.

Xanedan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 49

Photography Geek

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 03:39:27 PM »

Stunt refers to a saber without a soundboard.  It's suggested for a first build, because a soundboard requires a lot more wiring / space. 

You can't swap out emitters on the website, sadly.  It might be worth shooting an email to [email protected] and ask if you can get this set up.

Initiate V2 - SY, Dark Initiate V2 - DVA
Initiate V3 - SY, Dark Initiate V3 - DVA
SS Raven, Dark War Consular, Dark Prophecy V3

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 03:42:34 PM »

What is the stunt? and where can I get it? Also if I want to get a premade one, I just need to go to "saber with sounds", and to those lightsabers, you can add somethings like the emitters or not? Because I would like to add the Dark war Glaive emitter with claws. Cheesy

Thanks.

If you want a premade one, you can go to any of the menus for sabers (single bladed, double bladed, or sound) and select one you like.  Only the sound category has sound-equipped sabers though, they come with the Obsidian soundboard.

Keep in mind that to swap out the emitter for the Dark War Glaive you need to get one with a removable MHS compatible emitter - it tells you on the page if it has one.  Or you can just pick the Dark War Glaive itself, nice and simple!

Ezio
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »

If you want a premade one, you can go to any of the menus for sabers (single bladed, double bladed, or sound) and select one you like.  Only the sound category has sound-equipped sabers though, they come with the Obsidian soundboard.

Keep in mind that to swap out the emitter for the Dark War Glaive you need to get one with a removable MHS compatible emitter - it tells you on the page if it has one.  Or you can just pick the Dark War Glaive itself, nice and simple!

Ok thanks, also where did you learned to edit your photo so it looks like a real the lightsaber, that's cool Smiley

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 04:02:24 PM »

Ok thanks, also where did you learned to edit your photo so it looks like a real the lightsaber, that's cool Smiley

My profile pic?  It's not edited lol, that's just my saber.

Ezio
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 04:20:46 PM »

O_o cool XD

Veldryne
The Second Chosen One
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 268

" Kind hearted jerk"

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 04:37:16 PM »

haha a lot of still photos come out like that with ultrasabers,

though nero's is probably the single best still photo of a sentinal yellow lightsaber that i have seen

"Corellians... no wonder the other Jedi didn't want you leaving your system."
"The rest of you were just afraid we wouldn't leave anything for you to do after we were done."
Luke & Corran (I,J)

Ezio
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 04:43:59 PM »

Hi, do you know whats the difference between the Mini USB Cord,4x AAA Battery Holder/Speaker Combo,2x 14500 Li-Ion Battery Holder/Speaker Combo and the Obsidian USB Soundboard 2.0? The mini usb cord is for 3$, the 4x AAA Battery Holder/Speaker Combo and the 2x 14500 Li-Ion Battery Holder/Speaker Combo for 18.50$ and the obsidian usb for 125$,so is there a big sound difference? because the obsidian usb is very expensive. O_o

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 04:48:10 PM »

Hi, do you know whats the difference between the Mini USB Cord,4x AAA Battery Holder/Speaker Combo,2x 14500 Li-Ion Battery Holder/Speaker Combo and the Obsidian USB Soundboard 2.0? The mini usb cord is for 3$, the 4x AAA Battery Holder/Speaker Combo and the 2x 14500 Li-Ion Battery Holder/Speaker Combo for 18.50$ and the obsidian usb for 125$,so is there a big sound difference? because the obsidian usb is very expensive. O_o

The Obsidian USB is the soundboard, and the only one Ultrasabers offers.  Without that board there will be no sound produced by your saber.  The speaker combos are just the speaker and battery pack combined into one unit to save space.  Finally, the mini USB cord is just used to connect your computer to the board... but really you could use any mini USB cord you may have.

Ezio
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 04:53:44 PM »

The Obsidian USB is the soundboard, and the only one Ultrasabers offers.  Without that board there will be no sound produced by your saber.  The speaker combos are just the speaker and battery pack combined into one unit to save space.  Finally, the mini USB cord is just used to connect your computer to the board... but really you could use any mini USB cord you may have.

So you need both, the obsidian usb and the speaker, thanks Cheesy

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Suns of the Force

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 05:18:44 PM »

So you need both, the obsidian usb and the speaker, thanks Cheesy

Yup.  If you wanted to make a setup that has sound, you'd need the following items:

LED module (or MLS unit)
Resistor
Battery pack and speaker (combo will work best)
Switch
Soundboard (Obsidian USB in this case)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: