Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Ultrasabers and Rain  (Read 3344 times)
skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« on: April 19, 2017, 03:52:07 AM »

I'm from the very not-dry land of Washington.  How well do Ultrasabers handle rain?

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 04:50:28 AM »

I have never actually taken mine out in a full on downpour, but I have used them in a light drizzle, and they seemed fine. I don't know that I would trust myself not to mess them up in the rain. However, I think if you are careful with then when it is raining, you shouldn't have a problem.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 06:04:43 AM »

Fought a friend with them in a thunderstorm and the sabers came out fine. really theres very little room for water to get inside the hilt. Dont recommend them for underwater though.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 09:19:25 AM »

Why would you? I doubt the warranty would cover it.

ithekro
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 227

Andromeda Rising

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 09:47:51 AM »

The blades don't evaporate the rain drops on contact....unfortunately.

UltraSabers Owned:
Archon v3.1 (RGBW v4)
Apprentice v4 (RGBA v4)
Archon v2 (RGBW D)
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (AS)
Sentinel LE v4 (FO)
Dominix LE v4 (unknown)

UltraSaber's Gifted:
Initiate LE v4 (CG) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Dark Apprentice LE v4 (BR) - Upgraded to Obsidian v4
Initiate v2 (AB)
Renegade (RGBW v4)
Graflex SE (RGBW v4)
The Dominix v2 (BR)
Dark Prophecy v3 (BR LITE)
Lost Grey (RBGW v4)
Fulcrum (RGBW v4)

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 10:48:53 AM »

I read of one member actually dropping his saber into his pool.  Completely submerged.

He immediately dived in after it, and it worked fine after drying out.  

I WOULD NOT recommend this however...

I think that as long as you keep water from entering the internal electronics (ie: via the pommel), you'd be just fine though.

That'd make for some sweet pics. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »

I find that hard to believe, that member must have been very lucky!  Shocked Many pommels reveal the speaker obviously for the sound to to be heard. Perhaps because the member rescued it quickly enough before water eventually entered via any small gaps between the speaker's edge and the internal diameter of the hilt.

Lord Canterbury
Dark Knight of The Scorpion Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1313

Fish Fingers & Custard

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 11:44:18 AM »

I gotta be honest - I don't find that hard to believe at all.  I actually jumped in a pool once with my cell phone in the pocket of my trunks . . . it was dead when I got out.  A few days later after drying, it worked fine, like it never happened.

All that's in a saber is an LED, batteries & an epoxy covered pcb.  As long as it's not submerged for ages and you take the batteries out & dry them immediately, you would be fine.

But like LR said - not that I recommend anyone give it a go just for the heck of it . . .  Roll Eyes

Winning? Is that what you think it's about? I'm not trying to win. I'm not doing this because I want to beat someone, or because I hate someone, or because I want to blame someone. It's not because it's fun. God knows it's not because it's easy. It's not even because it works, because it hardly ever does. I do what I do because it's right! Because it's decent! And above all, it's kind! It's just that. Just kind.

~ The 12th Doctor in "The Doctor Falls"

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 01:57:30 PM »

I find that hard to believe, that member must have been very lucky!  Shocked

Not hard to believe.  The key was where it worked fine after drying out.  If you run a current through it when it's got water in it, the current will go through the water and fry the s*** out of it.  However, let the water dry, and you suddenly don't have the water (or, more appropriately, the minerals in the water) completing connections you don't want completed, so it should work fine.  As LC said, this is possible with other electronics.

MaskofMany
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -151

All your sabers are belong to us...

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 02:17:55 PM »

Hmmm...  A whole lotta work, but it makes me wonder if a person could take all the guts of their saber out, put them into some kind of plastic bag, and then put them all back in, making the saber water-proof...  I know the spots like the switch or recharge port where the guts meet the outside of the saber wouldn't be perfect, but on those a person could use something like Parafilm and it would be super-snug waterproof, AND Parafilm is easily removable.

I wonder wonder...  If I were savvy whatsoever at the electronics-bit of this saber business I may try it.  But I'm not.  lol

Dark Side Points Please Smiley

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 06:27:39 PM »

Not hard to believe.  The key was where it worked fine after drying out.  If you run a current through it when it's got water in it, the current will go through the water and fry the s*** out of it.  However, let the water dry, and you suddenly don't have the water (or, more appropriately, the minerals in the water) completing connections you don't want completed, so it should work fine.  As LC said, this is possible with other electronics.

True, but not exactly a warranty situation. So I think the OP would need to be careful.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 07:28:02 PM »

Heres a saber duel me and my friend did years ago during a thunderstorm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cJb05F-_WI

Hmmm...  A whole lotta work, but it makes me wonder if a person could take all the guts of their saber out, put them into some kind of plastic bag, and then put them all back in, making the saber water-proof...  I know the spots like the switch or recharge port where the guts meet the outside of the saber wouldn't be perfect, but on those a person could use something like Parafilm and it would be super-snug waterproof, AND Parafilm is easily removable.

I wonder wonder...  If I were savvy whatsoever at the electronics-bit of this saber business I may try it.  But I'm not.  lol

I think itd be a good bit simpler just to get plastic over the hilt and seal it off really well at the blade. Do two of those, get some scooba masks and then fight with them underwater and do a video. Heck yes!

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 09:39:38 PM »

I did order sabers with sound (haven't gotten them yet; they get here tomorrow).  I wasn't thinking about using them in the rain, more like walking back and forth from the car in the rain.  I may just put them in a plastic bag.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 09:50:41 PM »

I did order sabers with sound (haven't gotten them yet; they get here tomorrow).  I wasn't thinking about using them in the rain, more like walking back and forth from the car in the rain.  I may just put them in a plastic bag.

Well if you are just walking from the car into a building in the rain, than yeah. You should have not problem whatsoever. I think I may have actually done this before.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 02:29:30 AM »

I use my stunts in the rain all the time.  Hell, I dropped one in a large puddle of water and it was unphased.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: