Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 583   Go Down
Author Topic: Suggestion Box/Wishlist: what do we want from Ultrasabers?  (Read 1490810 times)
DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #8655 on: May 13, 2021, 03:32:17 PM »

When I 1st read it I did heartily enjoy the concept... Frankensabers are in a God-tier of ridiculousness when it comes down to attainability. I do agree that this establishes a level of "exclusivity" and works in US favor on the Supply/Demand side. Also how much of a pain in the butt it likely would be to have to start "mass producing" random builds order by order in untold numbers... Nightmarish is a word, but of course it's a dream come true on the consumer side instead. Though obviously then website updates are needed to create a universal builder option that can cobble together any/all compatible parts without including any "impossible" to remove emitters and such. Yeah, as much as we would like it to be reality I think Cyclops is right, they'd stay expensive or make people at US cry tears of blood and descend into madness. A great idea, but likely unrealistic.  Cry

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #8656 on: May 21, 2021, 09:16:18 AM »

Sooo. I just got a saber from some Other Guys.
I hear the criticism of US electronics now. BUT. Those sabers are not for everyone either.
Smoothswing is nice, and US could benefit from adding it. (though I'm unsure if saber dueling is made with sound on or not. I guess it depends).
As I said, having multiple sound fonts, color changing on the fly, having music playing from your saber while swinging it... It can be fun for some. But it can also be a pain in the ass.
When you get a setting you like and then make a small mistake, you now have to switch through many things to go back to the sound font you liked or to get rid of the music or to get the perfect color, ...
I don't care for music. I mostly like one font or one for each different saber I have. I like to be able to chose the color, but I don't like to be able to switch it. So no, those electronic features will not get my business. I'm all about hilt design. Which is why I bought this one since it's not on US catalog. I now find myself wishing I could get rid of most of the fancy stuff.

IF you like all of this AND like US hilts, well, go for an emerald (color changing via computer plugging) or a diamond (color, sound font, effects, changing on the fly or with computer plugging) from US. Though they ARE expensive.
If, like me, you're all about hilts and basic stuff, then US is quite good as is. Though on the expensive side.

TLDR :
* smoothswing yes!! Please US, add it! (can it be achieved via lowering sensibility on emerald/diamond sabers?)
* I love my US sabers (especially Guardian, Empress, Spectre and Emperor's Hand)
* I don't care about fancy electronic features from Other Guys, it is not a criteria for me.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

nunya
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 59

« Reply #8657 on: May 21, 2021, 01:56:34 PM »

* smoothswing yes!! Please US, add it! (can it be achieved via lowering sensibility on emerald/diamond sabers?)
* I love my US sabers (especially Guardian, Empress, Spectre and Emperor's Hand)
* I don't care about fancy electronic features from Other Guys, it is not a criteria for me.
agreed on the smooth swing - gives the real feel.  I have tried to replicate this in the Diamond and it was a fail.  Someone else may have found the sweet spot on settings for the swing but i doubt it is transferrable between individuals (i.e. every swing is different). 
agreed also on the US hilts - they are, for most offerings, superior to others I have seen so far.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #8658 on: May 21, 2021, 02:30:48 PM »

Sooo. I just got a saber from some Other Guys.
I hear the criticism of US electronics now. BUT. Those sabers are not for everyone either.
Smoothswing is nice, and US could benefit from adding it. (though I'm unsure if saber dueling is made with sound on or not. I guess it depends).
As I said, having multiple sound fonts, color changing on the fly, having music playing from your saber while swinging it... It can be fun for some. But it can also be a pain in the ass.
When you get a setting you like and then make a small mistake, you now have to switch through many things to go back to the sound font you liked or to get rid of the music or to get the perfect color, ...
I don't care for music. I mostly like one font or one for each different saber I have. I like to be able to chose the color, but I don't like to be able to switch it. So no, those electronic features will not get my business. I'm all about hilt design. Which is why I bought this one since it's not on US catalog. I now find myself wishing I could get rid of most of the fancy stuff.

IF you like all of this AND like US hilts, well, go for an emerald (color changing via computer plugging) or a diamond (color, sound font, effects, changing on the fly or with computer plugging) from US. Though they ARE expensive.
If, like me, you're all about hilts and basic stuff, then US is quite good as is. Though on the expensive side.

TLDR :

Having never seen or dealt with smoothswing I can not comment but I can agree anytime I have bought or looked at Other Guys stuff its due to hilt design.  That being said, my wishes:

To repeat myself:  I would love to see a more elegantly curved hilt (Dooku, Assaj, Ahsoka) and a Claymore-esg saber, Where the quillions go up into a V and a basket hilt saber.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #8659 on: May 21, 2021, 02:46:11 PM »

Having never seen or dealt with smoothswing I can not comment but I can agree anytime I have bought or looked at Other Guys stuff its due to hilt design.  That being said, my wishes:

To repeat myself:  I would love to see a more elegantly curved hilt (Dooku, Assaj, Ahsoka) and a Claymore-esg saber, Where the quillions go up into a V and a basket hilt saber.
It's probably not that easy to do. But I second that request for an elegant curved hilt. I can't stand the whatsitsname on US catalog. I just can't. Then again, there are not that many hilts left that appeal to me on their catalog.

agreed on the smooth swing - gives the real feel.  I have tried to replicate this in the Diamond and it was a fail.  Someone else may have found the sweet spot on settings for the swing but i doubt it is transferrable between individuals (i.e. every swing is different). 
agreed also on the US hilts - they are, for most offerings, superior to others I have seen so far.
Too bad. I was hoping it could be done. Oh well. Could not be that simple ^^'
To be fair, I've found (as I did with the EH) a more accurate and beautiful version of the saber I got from those Other Guys. At Another Guy. But the price... Oh man the price... So you know... Hilt design and budget.
I really like it. And I would be interested to see how US would do it should they do their own version (this particular hilt has been discussed in this very topic IIRC). But those fancy features uuuurgh.
This is why I tend to laugh at all the videos about where to order sabers or where not to... It all depends on what you want your saber to do. And not do.

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #8660 on: May 21, 2021, 05:35:14 PM »

Just order stunts or empty and install smoothswing capable sound cards. Its pretty easy to do and one can never get beyond padawan without building their own saber. The biggest reason I like Ultrasabers after their size and style is the fact that they are very easy to work on and make my own way. Some of the other guys make cool looking stuff but won't sell empty or light only. I don't even like to get their prettiest designs that why. I use the same siund card as one if them sometimes and atoll wont order pre wired.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

« Reply #8661 on: May 21, 2021, 06:51:02 PM »

US selling empty hilts is a good point for them, as long as you are equiped to do the installs. Wich is not my case ^^'

Owned :
* Dominix VA
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Beeblebrox
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -27

D.S.P.P. Dark Side Points Preferred.

« Reply #8662 on: May 27, 2021, 05:16:09 PM »

Saberchucks. I know other companies make them but they all look the same and need more style. I use oak nunchaku and I see saberchucks as fairly impractical, but fancy looking ones with cool features like flash on clash (which I’ve never seen on chucks) would be totally worth it to me. Thoughts? I know a certain Psycho Sith and an amazing British saber designer that probably have some awesome designs they could contribute.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #8663 on: May 28, 2021, 05:45:44 AM »

Saberchucks. I know other companies make them but they all look the same and need more style. I use oak nunchaku and I see saberchucks as fairly impractical, but fancy looking ones with cool features like flash on clash (which I’ve never seen on chucks) would be totally worth it to me. Thoughts? I know a certain Psycho Sith and an amazing British saber designer that probably have some awesome designs they could contribute.
I want a set of saber chucks that actually function how saberchucks would in-universe. So no chucks with 2” of “hilt” by the chain and 90% of the Chuck handle being “blade.” You don’t hold a lightsaber by the blade. More of the upper half being hilt and the lower half being blade. Long enough hilts to be able to hold and grab them like normal nunchucks, so usable even with blade plugs in. But also long enough blades to still look like a lightsaber. But not too long that it inhibits movement and range of motion.

I actually took two sabers from other guys and used some improvised MHS parts to make saberchucks that work this way and also screw together to form a saber baton, or short staff. The trade off for this conversion option is that the chains don’t have bearings, so the motion isn’t perfectly smooth relative to actual nunchucks.

I think I have some photos and videos in my costume thread? I started with non-saber LED chucks, but ended up improving a fancier version as described above.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #8664 on: May 28, 2021, 02:01:40 PM »

Saberchucks. I know other companies make them but they all look the same and need more style. I know a certain Psycho Sith and an amazing British saber designer that probably have some awesome designs they could contribute.

Hi Beeblebrox, if your kind compliment was aimed a t me thank you very much, however...I haven't much experience with Saberchucks but I had a few Aeons laying around and a bit of chain....

I need to work on some swivels I think.... Roll Eyes

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #8665 on: May 29, 2021, 05:00:02 AM »

To repeat myself:  I would love to see a more elegantly curved hilt (Dooku, Assaj, Ahsoka)
But I second that request for an elegant curved hilt.

Too bad. I was hoping it could be done. Oh well. Could not be that simple ^^'

And the refrain: we want that curved saber so terribly, reaper or really anything...

I do agree with Firehand as well on the "buy a hilt and figure out the smooth swing install" the internet is a wonder for self help DIY everything after all. That good ole chestnut of desire building passion leading to strengths and accomplishments? Paraphrasing the road to victory... But if all else fails and you can't get a particular job done, do it yourself somehow (if it's that desirable anyway).

Though I am laughing a bit at how terribly precise you'd have to be with saber-chucking, thinking it through SirLift's design he's used would be reasonable to use but lunacy in how perfect the execution must be... Since num-chuks almost require so much hand/grip switching and there is barely any hilt to grip mid high speed transition. The mastery level in universe to not lose a finger seems staggering. (even above and beyond not maiming one's self with other saber variants)

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Beeblebrox
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #8666 on: May 29, 2021, 05:32:41 PM »

Hi Beeblebrox, if your kind compliment was aimed a t me thank you very much, however...I haven't much experience with Saberchucks but I had a few Aeons laying around and a bit of chain....

I need to work on some swivels I think.... Roll Eyes
Yes! I dig it. I figure I would personally want to use the Initiate V2, V3 or V4 for the short length if blades are to be added (obviously they are). The ball bearing swivel is the main problem. The would need to attach to the pommel, but then they are just going to unscrew within minutes and your saber chucks are going flying. If there was a way to screw the pommel on and lock it with some sort of low profile latch, then we’re in business. I like the idea of using catalyst pommels since they taper slightly and seem like they would be more comfortable while also maintaining the look and shape of real nunchaku.

https://www.sakuramartialarts.com/Martial_Arts_Weapons_Nunchaku_Swivel_Repair_Kit_p/wea-92290-a1.htm

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #8667 on: May 29, 2021, 05:48:04 PM »

Just wrap some gaffer tape around the pommel, so it’s half on the pommel and half on the hilt. Should hold up fine. I’ve just screwed in the improvised pommels I made and it’s never unscrewed from a few minutes of use e even without tape. Gaffer tape is pretty strong, and also doesn’t leave any residue when removed.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Beeblebrox
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #8668 on: May 29, 2021, 05:57:15 PM »

Just wrap some gaffer tape around the pommel, so it’s half on the pommel and half on the hilt. Should hold up fine. I’ve just screwed in the improvised pommels I made and it’s never unscrewed from a few minutes of use e even without tape. Gaffer tape is pretty strong, and also doesn’t leave any residue when removed.
Ive been hoping for something more permanent and elegant but that should work just fine to get started and getting it actually working. Point.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #8669 on: May 29, 2021, 06:37:13 PM »

Yes! I dig it. I figure I would personally want to use the Initiate V2, V3 or V4 for the short length if blades are to be added (obviously they are).

I realise that a shorter hilt would be preferable but I only had 3D models of the Aeon and Sentinels (that I modelled for another member) which I could mock up quick for you all.
Karmack's Family Colours:

But I have worked on a curved saber but it got a bit too warm and discoloured!

Pages: 1 ... 576 577 [578] 579 580 ... 583   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: