Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dark Prophecy Review  (Read 8501 times)
jsfetzik
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« on: April 04, 2011, 02:41:46 AM »

So I ordered my first light saber about two weeks ago. I ordered a Dark Prophecy Battle Staff, with Fire Orange LEDs, and 32" UltraEdge Heavy Grade blades.

I had my order exactly one week after I placed it. In addition to the Prophecy I also ordered a second LED module for my wife's War Glaive and a DIY hilt to do some experimenting. I posted over in the shipping review thread with a few photos of how well everything was packed. I won't repeat that here, but if you want to check it out here is a link, http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=947.msg9960#msg9960.

So I have had the Prophecy for almost a week now and I really like it. The hilt is very solid and the black anodized color goes great with the Orange LEDs.

The hilt is 10 inches long and the total length is 38", with the 32" blade.

The Prophecy comes with a battery holder for 2 AAA batteries. You may want to keep this in mind if you plan on adding sound yourself. I have an econo sound card out of one of the Hazbro toys, that is going into the wifes War Glaive, and it does run on only 2 AAA batteries, although the volume is noticeably less then when run off 3 or 4 AAA batteries.

Here are the two individual sabers side by side so you can see the 'front' and 'back' of the hilt.

Here are the two Prophecy's next to my wife's War Glavie, which has a 36" blade and Balzing Red LED.

One interesting thing about the LED module in the Prophecy is that they made it out of a section of blade tubing.

What is cool about this is that it allows the light to shine through a couple of holes in the hilt. Nice design detail.

Now for the Battle Staff version. This works out pretty nice. The 32" blades make for a total length of about 76", 6' 4". This works out very nicely for me at 6'.

Here's a shot of the assembled staff on the couch.

And another shot with the wife holding it. Note she doesn't like being on camera.  Smiley

The connection to make the staff is with a coupler that is threaded on both ends. Here you can see the two sabers, coupler and regular pommels. This connection is pretty solid. The only downside is that it can be a little difficult to unscrew the coupler. It seems UltraSabers is aware of that circumstance and there is a hole through the middle of the coupler. this lets you use an allen wrench, screw driver, etc. to help break the coupler free. Very nice detail.

So overall a well built product, with nice attention to the little details. If you want to check out some more pictures here are a couple galleries including both the Prophecy and the War Glaive.

https://picasaweb.google.com/jsfetzik/LightSabersSpring2010?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/jsfetzik/MoreLightSabers20110402?feat=directlink

Dark Prophecy Battlestaff - Fire Orange

navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 03:01:36 AM »

That hilt looks really nice in orange. Good choice.

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

ShadowKatt
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 03:33:18 AM »

Very nice, very nice. I like the way the coupler is designed too. More and more I'm getting a little excited at the idea of a saber staff.

tiefling36
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 05:41:50 PM »

I have to say that the fire orange looks really nice with the dark prophecy hilt.  Nice Saber!

Copper Enforcer--Consular Green
Custom Liberator--Consular Green
Custom Phantom--Guardian blue
Plans: Bane RGB

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:10:45 PM »

My CE Proph is in Fire Orange. Nice to know it looks good in a Dark Staff too.  Grin Good review!

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

JediMouseketeer
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:16:30 PM »

That looks great! I especially like the reference picture with your wife holding it. I'm looking for a nice battle staff for the both of us and the shorter blades look great. I think I'll try getting them in silver and trying out how the filter discs look. Awesome job!

May the Force be with you!

rezolution
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 08:24:30 PM »

How exactly do you guys get your wives interested in lightsabers?  My wife couldn't be any less interested in them.

navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 08:34:47 PM »

Uhm. Dude? You marry one interested in light sabers. I don't think you manufacture it after the fact.

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 12:05:01 AM »

lol I'm smart. I'm getting my girlfriend into them now, so I don't have to worry about it in the future. Granted, it's taken a couple years of work... but she's started nagging me for one of her own.  Grin

But yeah... Dude's wife's gotta War Glaive... that's epic win right there.

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 03:31:58 AM »

I had a girlfriend once. Then some Anakin kid comes along, and..... Well you guys know the rest.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 10:14:55 AM »

It looks really nice. The fire orange does look more different than red in these pics. I have seen some pics in which they almost looked similar.

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Custom Starkiller (destroyed)
Anakin UltraFX stunt

JediMouseketeer
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 09:13:55 PM »

Uhm. Dude? You marry one interested in light sabers. I don't think you manufacture it after the fact.

I was lucky. My wife loves Star Wars, Disney and Guitars! She rocks it all. Now it's just a matter of what lightsaber(s) she wants. We are looking into custom costumes now as well for Star Wars Weekends at Disney. Getting a light-side battle staff with silver leds looks pretty cool. I just suck at doing any mods. I wish we could get a Shock-styled battle staff with sound. Now that would be cool!

May the Force be with you!

jsfetzik
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 01:45:33 PM »

How exactly do you guys get your wives interested in lightsabers?  My wife couldn't be any less interested in them.

I'm lucky in that respect. My girl is a much bigger Star Wars fan then I am. The original movie came out at just the right age for it to have a big impact on her. So she got a light saber before I did. In specific she ordered the War Glaive pretty much the moment she saw it on the site.

So as mentioned I don't think it is a matter getting them interested, but getting together with someone that has an interest in the first place. In our case we are both gamers, comic book fans, like action sci-fi movies, etc. We do have different specific like and dislikes, but we both like the same genres of stuff.

Dark Prophecy Battlestaff - Fire Orange

Darkhorse V
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -56

Darkhorse V | Hunted by Jedi - Hated by Sith

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 08:33:23 PM »

What a great saber choice!  I couldn't have chosen better myself... and I didn't.  I LOVE my 2 Fire Orange Dark Prophecies.  The color goes great with the black anodizing and they are so good to dual weild! I even like the shorter hilt in staff form (once you take off the Covertech knobs).  I got an RGB Dark Prohecy not too long ago and I love it, but there's just something missing compared to the regular sized Prophecy hilts.

Sabers:.
(__=o=_/PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)
(__=o=_\PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)

(__=o=_/BLAZING RED PVC PROPHECY)
((_(((_o((_/ADEGAN SILVER SS STANDARD ISSUE)
(_((((_o(_{---PYRESTONE SS RAVEN w/OBSIDIAN)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: