Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: N64 Thread, for the old guys  (Read 22482 times)
Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« on: November 14, 2012, 12:44:48 AM »

Okay, for those who were kids or had kids in those wonderful years: A thread for the Nintendo 64 Console. General discussion of the games, the system, the accessories, etc. Let it begin!

So.... what were some of your favorite N64 games, and why?

It's hard to say, but for me it's probably a three way tie between Mario Kart 64, Rogue Squadron, and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Mario Kart: Because it's a racing game that doesn't take itself too seriously. You can go for hours and hours, but it's a pick up and play, anyone can learn, fun, simple game with just enough tricks in there to make it interesting, and the right number of levels to provide variety and not get old, yet you can still learn it all.

Rogue Squadron: Who cares if it has a rep as a Starfox repackage? IT'S ROGUE SQUADRON! It put me in the cockpit, and that made a large portion of my childhood. Admittedly, I'm a horrible gamer, but I spent hours and hours and hours on end with that game and I loved every minute of it. I can remember spending a whole day switching off with my friend trying to find just the right angle to bring the walkers down on Corellia, and memorizing all the turns for Beggars Canyon to get the fastest route and cut the most time off my run. That game was a blast.

Zelda: Because no matter how bad you suck at it, no matter how long you take to get through it, it was such an immersive game, it was incredible. There was so much map, and so much you could DO! Not to mention, it was a riot trying to duel chickens. Okay, Cuccos. lol In short, it was just such a BIG game, with so many parts, and such a good story. I loved it.

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 12:46:33 AM »

Never actually owned one (I had a PS1), but I played plenty of it over friends' houses.

Goldeneye and Super Smash Brothers.  That is all.

Zephon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 118

Zephon Nosta - Jedi Sentinel

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 03:28:22 AM »

I was a major N64 person, because though I didn't own one my neighbor who used to babysit me when I was little who always let me play. I also had myself a Sega, but N64 introduced save files to me.

Anyways, my games were both of the Zelda games; Ocarina of Time AND Majora's Mask (still own both)

Smash Bros: Different major Nintendo icons duking it out, epic! Could go for hours.

Perfect Dark: Made by Rare, and could be seen as the next level after GoldenEye, but amazingly fun. And in my opinion, better than GoldenEye (which I also owned) because of difficulty, replay value, and the sweet multiplayer that was actually challenging. (You could also put Computer AIs as your opponents to even things out, and change their difficulties. On the hardest setting which I believe was "Perfect" even my brother and myself had a challenge against them).

Rogue Squadron: See, I didnt think of this as a re-hash of Starfox 64. I played both, and while I was able to get bored of Starfox relatively fast, I thought RS was challenging as you continued on. And after unlocking use of the other ships, the Millennium Falcon, and the Tie Fighter, I still had things to do as I kept trying to perfect my speed, accuracy, and score to get all Gold Medals. I was down to needing my last 8 Golds (they were at Silver for me at that point and just barely missing them every time) when someone deleted my account. My heart was shattered.

The Force Is The Blade Of The Heart.
            All Are Intertwined;
       The Crystal,
   The Blade,
The Jedi.
              You Are One.

Light Side Points Appreciated

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 04:05:32 AM »

Ah so many memories...Or not so many since I burned LOADS of brains cell playing these games all the time with my older bro and various cousins all through out my child hood. 

I loved this game since it was co op and was really the first game that introduced me to the alein vs humanity theme from what I remember. Fighting off colorful ant like armies and giant robo bug hyrids was crazy and I loved every second of it! Plus the multilayer was loads of fun with all the crazy weapons and a cool robota dog side kick.  Cool

This was the first N64 game I got and it was awesome. I've never really been a fan of ship/fighter games when I was younger and even now, but being star wars related I was hooked on the game and seeing all the ships flying around really grabbed my attention and immersed me in believing I was a part of the grand star wars space battles that I saw in the movies.

I don't remember playing the story mode, but I played a ton of the multilayer constantly with family/friends. All the neat options like gold guns and paint ball kept me interested for hours. PLus the spy music was pretty cool in my mind as a kid.

Just plain awesome in every way. Yoshi FTW  Cheesy
 Hope you 90's kids remember this Cheesy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K783SDTBKmg  Cheesy

This and Super smash bros probably equaled to about more than half of what I played on the n64 in terms of multilayer. It was just such a fun and happy competitive racing game with characters I loved! Plus the silly race track and music along with power ups made it so enjoyable. I swear I remember playing 300 + matches in balloon battle in one day with my bro and my cousins. The N64 was so hot I thought It was going to explode!   Cheesy Also I remember things would get pretty heated when playing this game too! Lets just say punches  and controlers were thrown more than once!

I also loved Zelda and Super mario 64, but most of my time was put into the above games.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:15:00 AM by Moderator Big Boss » Logged

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

Lord Cooler
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -80

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 02:36:02 PM »

I actually still own my N64, it's right here behind me plugged on the TV. Pity I only have 1 controller left, though...

Super Mario 64 - First N64 game I had, and boy did I love it. Finished it several times, and some more when the DS version came about.

Super Smash Bros - This was THE MULTIPLAYER GAME of the N64. That's all I need to say.

Mario Kart 64 - Ah, the joys watching your friend take 1st place... then throw that Blue Shell you've been saving. Second best multiplayer right there. Also, the Rainbow Road, best soundtrack ever.

007:GoldenEye - Oh boy, I never owned this game but a buddy of mine had it and we played it for hours and hours. Never bothered with the campaign, but the multiplayer was pure awesome.

Banjo Kazooie/Tooie - A very simple, yet very fun game. Never got to finish the first one, though.

Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 - Pokemon. In 3D. GLORIOUS.

Pokemon Snap - Once again, Pokemon. Except with pictures instead of battles.

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron - Ah, my very first Star Wars game, and I loved it to death. Finished it all in co-op mode with my best buddy, who's also a SW fanatic.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask: Still regret it to this day, but never owned either game. Played it a lot on my cousin's, since he owned both, but never finished either.

RGB Raven "Stalker"
BR Overlord "Doombringer"
GB Prophecy "Salvation"
BR Malice "Reaver"
SRD Bellicose "Protector"
DVA Dominix v3 LE "Corruption"
GB Raven "Azure"

kewlkev360
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 232

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 03:05:52 PM »

Goldeneye:  I love James Bond and I lost hours in this game.

Rogue Squadron:  Loved this game the most.  Had the Millennium Falcon, Naboo N-1 Starfighter, TIE Interceptor.  I earned gold medals on every mission and was able to fly any ship on any level (except snowspeeder levels)

Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2:  C'mon, a game starring plastic army men is nothing but win, especially when you can melt enemies with a flamethrower.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 06:31:54 PM »

Army men was GREAT! My buddy rented that all the time and we loved it.

Goldeneye.... I'll put it this way, we'd just put in all the codes for invisible, invincible, DK mode, and all weapons, hit the runway level, and have fun.  Grin Grenade launchers to simulate an air raid, watch the DK's freak out, get in the tank.... squish em' all.....  Grin

Cooler: Co-op on Rogue Squadron for the 64? How did you manage that? I never found a Co-op mode in that series until Rebel Strike came out for the Cube. And then it was a Co-op of RS2, not RS. I'd love to play a Co-op of the first one!

I am not a color...

RLYHYPERGUY
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 178

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 10:58:07 PM »

Turok 2! I played that with my friends all the time. It was awesome. Although Perfect Dark was sick, too.

Lord Cooler
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -80

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 12:15:36 AM »

Cooler: Co-op on Rogue Squadron for the 64? How did you manage that? I never found a Co-op mode in that series until Rebel Strike came out for the Cube. And then it was a Co-op of RS2, not RS. I'd love to play a Co-op of the first one!

Maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me, but I'm pretty sure there was one. I remember playing split-screen with a 2nd player(my friend) for the whole campaign.

RGB Raven "Stalker"
BR Overlord "Doombringer"
GB Prophecy "Salvation"
BR Malice "Reaver"
SRD Bellicose "Protector"
DVA Dominix v3 LE "Corruption"
GB Raven "Azure"

AA-Battery
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 8

The light side (points) always wins!

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 12:36:41 AM »

LoZ ocarina of time and rogue squadron. LoZ-OoT was my childhood and I spent Sssoooo much time trying to catch that elusive alligator fish thing it the bottom of the lake. And pissing off cuckoos and running away. Or having epona attack them and watch and laugh as they brutally attack eponas legs! xD

Rogue squadron was later years killing time at my cottage. Still haven't beat it though. I think I got stuck on trying to save someone on the train while countless fighters and heat seeking turrets were launched at me. Tongue

Majors mask was beyond frustrating for me when your 7 and automatically die within an hour. I need to find an expansion pack so I can play that game again. Still own my original 64.

Owned: LE phantom V3 CG with/without obsidian

Want: SS Raven BR quick disconnect-(with AB) obsidian red AV
          Yari pike (x3)

The light side (points) always wins!

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 01:10:59 AM »

Oh gosh I hated Majora's Mask. I only got to play the GameCube Special Edition of it, but it drove me batty trying to do anything in that one. It's my GF's fave, but I just can't stand it.

Ah, the level with the hover train. That one was tricky, but fun. Sullust was murder. I'll be honest, I used the unlock all levels cheat code. lol

OoT.... I never caught the Alligator Fish, but I DID beat the Versus Books Guidebook record for heaviest fish caught! I think their record was 18 and I caught a 19 pounder, I don't remember. I just remember I only beat it by one or two pounds and it was either 18 or 19, I think. High teens or low 20s. I dunno. It was my great accomplishment. lol

I am not a color...

Zephon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 118

Zephon Nosta - Jedi Sentinel

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 03:04:31 AM »

I remember the alligator fish. Many, many, MANY hours were put into that one task. Geez, it was a pain. You had to fish in jutsu the correct spot to get it with TONS of luck.

And Majora's mask was a lot of fun for me. I think the most hated moment for me in that game was the first 3days when you have little time to do anything. But once you get your Ocarina and learn how to slow down time to half speed, everything became normal. The only way I could do anything was at half-speed, with a few day skips thrown in to speed somethings up.

Also, someone mentioned Pokemon Snap earlier...I completely forgot about that game, which is weird cause I own it, as well as Pokemon Stadium (the first one)

The Force Is The Blade Of The Heart.
            All Are Intertwined;
       The Crystal,
   The Blade,
The Jedi.
              You Are One.

Light Side Points Appreciated

Darth Rifter
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -200

Darth Rifter and Jedi Keldor...Darn it I forgot.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 02:45:34 AM »

I'll just stick this here...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU</a>

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 07:33:07 PM »

I never had one, but I used to play all the time at my friends houses. Lots of Mario Cart and Super Smash Bros.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 09:24:23 PM »

Kart. It is Kart. Not Cart. Because Nintendo defies Spelling.  Cool

And dang, I remember stuff like that happening when I was a kid. Awesome video.

I am not a color...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: