Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: The Manticore  (Read 6877 times)
Jare Tal’onidir
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 27

I am a Jedi..but the Dark Side has the best toys!

« on: November 14, 2012, 03:37:14 PM »

I have to say that, almost to my surprise, the Manticore lives up to all the hype surrounding it. As we already knew from pictures, it is very aesthetically pleasing. And it being an UltraSaber, we all knew it was going to be durable. But, man, this thing handles like a dream. The length, weight, and balance to this saber are perfect. I’m on the short end of things, so I covet the shorter sabers and have enjoyed bringing my fencing background into play with sabers like the Prophecy. I honestly don’t think I can do that as much with the Manticore. But, it is short enough and light enough I can use one hand, and long enough I can switch to two which makes it feel almost more like a lightsaber for me. I’ve also been having a blast with the MHS compatibility. Most of the comments I’ve seen focused on the emitter and which hilts it would look good on. And I admit, I spent a lot of time playing with in on my Consular and Shock. But the Manticore’s body is actually great for trying different combinations on. My other hilts, I’ve found a few combos that work and some that just look odd. The Manticore is so elegantly simple that it just kind of goes with everything.  I’ll probably add some more pictures later with different colors and emitters, but here’s a few initial shots.

My Sabers:
FO Aeon v2: DVA Prophecy v3; SY Consular; VA Nickle Monarch; AS Shock; BR Malishock, AB Graflex, PO Manticore FOC with Obsidian; CG Liberator AS FOC with Obsidian; and a GB Nickle Prophecy v3 with Obsidian

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »

Nice saber . Is that FO or PO?

dark side points please

Jare Tal’onidir
Knight Officer

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 03:47:45 PM »

Oh, I should have said! It's PO, but my two midgrade blades are at a friends house so the color's a bit washed out.

My Sabers:
FO Aeon v2: DVA Prophecy v3; SY Consular; VA Nickle Monarch; AS Shock; BR Malishock, AB Graflex, PO Manticore FOC with Obsidian; CG Liberator AS FOC with Obsidian; and a GB Nickle Prophecy v3 with Obsidian

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:16:42 PM »

Jare, that saber is beautiful.  Glad to see the first forum member post some pics.  I am awarding points for your great review.

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

Abraxus
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -32

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 05:27:16 PM »

Just as nice as I thought it would be!  The War Glaive emitter looks awesome on it!

My Collection
------------
Dark Prophecy (Consular Green)
Archon V2 (Blazing Red/Arctic Blue)
Raven (Violet Amethyst)
Initiate V3 (Guardian Blue)

Noriko
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 103

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 07:58:59 PM »

The Manticore is such an awesome saber. With the high profile pommel it looks even better than with the low profile pommel.

Thanks for sharing these pictures.

Arctic Blue Shock LE
Emerald Green Dark Shock
Hot Pink Manticore Staff

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 09:27:39 PM »

Looks great!  The War Glaive emitter combo is just wicked!!  Very impressed.  Point.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Liselyn
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 16

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 05:09:24 AM »

Jare, can I please request a picture featuring a close up of the on/off switch?

Great pictures - you're right, everyone focuses on the emitter but the graceful simplicity of the hilt itself is often overlooked!

When you go two handed, where are your hands sitting on the saber?

Solinus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -209

Black Star Sabers

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 07:04:58 AM »

Oh, I should have said! It's PO, but my two midgrade blades are at a friends house so the color's a bit washed out.

That's EXACTLY what my Pyrestone Orange Prophecy looks like. I think you captured the color excellently!

Control your fear. Give in to your hate. Let it guide you along the path and soon you shall find yourself... home.

**Dark Side points appreciated.**

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »

One question I forgot.  On the Manticore body with the War Glaive emitter, can you post a measurement from the top of the choke point to about mid-pommel or so?

thanks!

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Jare Tal’onidir
Knight Officer

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 09:02:06 PM »

@Liselyn, I'll work on getting that picture for you, but it is a standard switch, nothing special. With two hands, my right (dominate) hand can really travel. At the end of a lot of spins, I'd say snug against the emitter. The rest of the time, I keep it a bit lower, with my thumb resting right above the switch. My left hand almost always rests right above the pommel. I have accidentally actually grabbed the pommel a couple of times and that's surprisingly comfortable too.

@Oramac, With the Manticore pommel, the measurement is 10 3/4in. but in the picture I'd added the Arcon pommel and that is exactly 11in. I really like the Glaive emitter on it too. I'd gotten the emitter for my Consular, but it's probably going on the Manticore from here on.

I'm still planning on more photos of other colors and combinations, but I found out the quick disconnect on this is exactly opposite of all my other modules, so I need to find time to break out the soldering iron and fix that.

My Sabers:

Dark Mal
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 70

TWIN GOATEE

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 01:18:17 AM »

I LOVE THIS EMITTER!!!! I would love to see it with some other sabers if anyone has any pics!!!

WHEN THE POWERS OF GOOD OR EVIL ARE IN YOUR PATH, DO NOT GO AROUND THEM MY FRIENDS. STAND FAST..ONLY BY GOING STRAIGHT THROUGH THEM WILL EVER LEARN TO MASTER WHO YOU  TRUELY ARE.

Abraxus
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -32

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 05:45:39 PM »

I posted a picture of my Archon V2 with the Manticore emitter in the original Manticore announcement thread, and also in the "Customization" thread titled (Archon V2 Versatility).  I would post a link to the threads directly, but that is harder to do on an iPad, than on my PC, so if you can't find them, just PM me.

My Collection
------------
Dark Prophecy (Consular Green)
Archon V2 (Blazing Red/Arctic Blue)
Raven (Violet Amethyst)
Initiate V3 (Guardian Blue)

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 06:06:51 PM »

Point for Jare, this is a monumental review.

no

Jare Tal’onidir
Knight Officer

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 07:50:01 PM »

Okay, so here's pictures of the Manticore with a couple other colors. I'm going to try and tag it on here rather than make a new post.

Consular Green

Adgean Silver

And Sentinel Yellow. Which was really hard to take a picture of since it's so bright. So there's two.

I've got a whole bunch more pictures with the emitter and pommel on my other sabers, and the Manticore hilt with other emitters and pommels. But I thought I'd add them to the reference thread once they finish uploading.

My Sabers:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: