Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
Author Topic: Creating Crystal Chambers build/Input thread/material ideas/sources  (Read 58857 times)
DarthCooper88
11th Disciple of Masamune
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -248

Old-world crafstman, Sabersmith

« on: November 24, 2012, 01:05:14 PM »

I see more and more Saber enthusiasts wanting to add a chamber to an existing hilt or creating a saber from scratch with the chamber's design planned on in advance. From what I gather with the different sabers on the market including Ultra's , is the the interior ID's don't differ too much from manufacturer. The standard MHS interior is 1.25" the smaller sabers seem to run in the 1.125" to even as small as 1".
Now I realize many people dont have access to the machines or tools necessary to fabricate this stuff (or even the time). So I wanted to start this thread as interactive in what ideas have worked, or not, also what commonly found materials can be used to create the right look. The greatest thing about this hobby is the unlimited choices that you have to create something totally one off with out breaking the bank Grin
 1st off, simple tools. A screwdriver set, allen key set, and a dremel with cutting grinding bits is a great start, also a simple small jewelers file set is very handy with a discipline in it's own right. For modifying your existing saber, you need to be able to create an opening for the chamber and also have it jive with the existing electronics. As far as more advanced tools go, a small drill press is invaluable, in that it can of course drill straight holes, and with a little skill it can be used as a small lathe for parts, with a 50.00 x-y axis vise and some small end-mills, you now have a mini-bench mill! ( craigslist is a great place to find home shop tools for chhheeep).
Back on topic, for a larger US hilt (Archon for example) TCSS makes many different sized chassis discs both out of aluminum and laser cut acrylic , they also have the rods , nuts bolts and tubings to create a full rail system. This here is the base for a saber I call "project X" this is one I have been wanting to build using a very modular approach and it is a bit complicated in some parts, I would like to at least be able to get the "jist" across for inspiration. Photo #1 this is an aluminum disc from TCSS that measures 1-1/4" across by like an 1/8" thick

Next to it is a simple brass plumbing part that will be used as the main crystal base/holder
The disc in the pic has already been modded in that I added 4 more holes for support rods (there will be 6 total, you can get away with just 2)
I used my small drill press with a 1/8" drill bit to add the 4 holes, one trick I learned is to have a small section of hilt on hand and a 4-40 threaded screw to hold the heatsink and base together for alignment (the heatsink I'm using is an old style one that someone had drilled into swiss chees before I got it)

Speaking of the LED-holder/heatsink, once again they come in a few different variations and are usually the easiest part to use as a chambers top plate

Shown here is a new style heatsink with a RRRR led-engin, a 1" heatsink led combo with RB wired in series in an all aluminum affair.
Here is a pic of the swiss cheese heatsink and now heavily filed (on the drill press) brass plumbing piece (this can also be done with old style lamp parts from the local hardware store)
the rod is thin aluminum tubin that will have a 4-40 all thread rod for support (found at the local hobby shop in the model airplane section) Ok guys ,what ideas do you have??? Please share!!!

"You have been forged in fire, tempered in blood & come out steel" Brave Rifles! 3rd Armored Cavalr

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 06:59:43 PM »

I had a thought about making a lit crystal chamber that would spin inside the hilt.

The basic idea is that the two disks at either end of the chamber would basically be a two part construction. The larger piece to hold the assembly in place within the hilt, and the smaller piece to hold the chamber itself on a free spinning axis controlled from beneath by a small motor and lit from above.

I'm not sure of the feasibility of this, but the theory is sound.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

DarthCooper88
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 07:13:29 PM »

I have seen small bearing sleeves that would work for that,also with as small as laser modules are these days you could make a very bright chamber that way as well, spinning...that would be neat! I have also heard of the idea of suspending a crystal in acrylic to create a floating effect with most of the hilt removed.

"You have been forged in fire, tempered in blood & come out steel" Brave Rifles! 3rd Armored Cavalr

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 08:28:42 PM »

I have seen small bearing sleeves that would work for that,also with as small as laser modules are these days you could make a very bright chamber that way as well, spinning...that would be neat! I have also heard of the idea of suspending a crystal in acrylic to create a floating effect with most of the hilt removed.

Couple the spinning with a crystal with some natural flaws and inclusions, and perhaps even a pulsating light, and you get a nifty little lighting refraction effect.

DarthCooper88
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »

Another method that works for chassis discs is using an old nylon cutting board and a hole driller used in carpentry alot

This is another chassis disc from TCSS that I modified very little and became the top mount section for my Starkiller's main hilt

lining up the discs in a simple way for the holes to line perfectly.
Another set I have that will go into something soon are these acrylic laser cut chassis discs, these are designed for 18650 packs with a sound-board on top ( it's designed to fit a nominal .94" wide board, in other words most any will work)

Here is the mostly finished chamber components for project-x .. I decided to go the exposed wire method with lots of architectural interest when done, if you want to hide the wires it just a matter of having one or 2 tubes epoxied in place for that purpose), the crystal is a tangerine quartz- Isis cut that I scored locally for $4.95, it will be lit with a simple 5mm red led that is tied into the main blade's circuit

These parts except for the heat sink and aluminum base disc were obtained locally from the box hardware stores and also a couple of hobby shops

Thonolan
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 43

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 03:36:47 AM »

I am currently working on a crystal chassis for a saber to be mounted inside a vented coupler.

Space will be a bit of a challenge but I managed to find a steel washer and flared brass nut that I can solder together to create the top and bottom of the chassis.

I have some acrylic stones I was thinking of using, but I may see if I can find something with a little more character.

It's going in to an mhs custom build for a friend. PC1.5 sound, RGBW 10w LEDengin, should be interesting.

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 11:23:53 PM »

Interesting thread! I've been toying with attempting a Crystal Chamber lately. Never done one before, and I have nothing in the way of fancy tools or experience with such things, but it can't hurt to take a shot. Smiley I was contemplating something similar to what's depicted for the Luke ANH saber in the old Visual Dictionary from the 90's. That cross section showed a dual crystal set up in the chamber, and I don't recall having seen too many of those around the web. Anyone have suggestions about how a beginner might go about constructing such a thing? Or lighting it for that matter?

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

DarthCooper88
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 11:26:11 AM »

I am currently working on a crystal chassis for a saber to be mounted inside a vented coupler.

Space will be a bit of a challenge but I managed to find a steel washer and flared brass nut that I can solder together to create the top and bottom of the chassis.

I have some acrylic stones I was thinking of using, but I may see if I can find something with a little more character.

It's going in to an mhs custom build for a friend. PC1.5 sound, RGBW 10w LEDengin, should be interesting.

I keep looking at the new coupler's too, looks like that would be a great start!

DarthCooper88
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »

Interesting thread! I've been toying with attempting a Crystal Chamber lately. Never done one before, and I have nothing in the way of fancy tools or experience with such things, but it can't hurt to take a shot. Smiley I was contemplating something similar to what's depicted for the Luke ANH saber in the old Visual Dictionary from the 90's. That cross section showed a dual crystal set up in the chamber, and I don't recall having seen too many of those around the web. Anyone have suggestions about how a beginner might go about constructing such a thing? Or lighting it for that matter?
Do you you have a pic for reference? I'm getting more and more requests for exotic chambers and had one for a Luke ROTJ spring-loaded reveal affair that I'm still trying to wrap my head around

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »

Sure, something about like this:

The real problem though is that I've only got a 7" space for the switch, Obsidian, Buck Puck, and Lith Ion Speaker Combo Pack, and with where the switch hole is, and accounting for threads, I only get about 4 3/4" or so to squeeze everything in. So my crystal chamber needs to be REALLY small to fit. That doesn't bother me much, since it will only be viewed through a small hole in the hilt anyways, but I have a feeling that will make it more difficult to build.... Undecided

I am not a color...

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

The Mad Professor

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 08:50:53 PM »

I have a feeling that will make it more difficult to build.... Undecided
Just a bit, yeah... I seriously doubt you'd be able to get it all in there. Maybe if your hilt was longer overall...

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 09:44:13 PM »

That's the tricky part, the overall length of the hilt is already around 14". It has about 6" of neck and emitter on it. Rethinking though, given the size of the viewport for the chamber, and the size of the crystal I have in my possession, perhaps I can make it fit with a single crystal, and FAKE it like there's a second one.

I am not a color...

DarthCooper88
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 01:08:30 AM »

That's the tricky part, the overall length of the hilt is already around 14". It has about 6" of neck and emitter on it. Rethinking though, given the size of the viewport for the chamber, and the size of the crystal I have in my possession, perhaps I can make it fit with a single crystal, and FAKE it like there's a second one.
you could also spend the $$$ and get one of these kits for the ANH/ESB

they are sweet and I've been tempted to spend the cheese Shocked Grin

Manroon
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 01:23:01 AM »

Perhaps in the future, but we shall see. That might take a little more scratch than I have for this one.

I am not a color...

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 01:36:30 AM »

The crystal chamber is a great consideration...one of the better ones in my book.

It has artistic value beyond basic machining or static design.

Even at rest it has potential for beauty and interest.

I was reading through the various thoughts and had a couple counter points/ideas.

Rotating crystal...for this I had three quick thoughts...one is to rotate the light source or the filter, think of a variegated filter or even a pair of clear filters with media making a kaleidoscope, any movement would cause the material to shift breaking the light source...refraction...or...a tiny motor turning the light or a filter, again refraction...mount the crystal on twin bearings with one end a post, driven by tiny motor, spins, refraction.

Hmmm it does get the brain going, for sure  Cheesy

Light side points please Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: