Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
Author Topic: So the Devil jumped on hickory stump...  (Read 51000 times)
Master Rel
Game Master
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1884

Martial artist, fabricator, chef, resident Ortolan

« on: November 28, 2012, 04:14:31 AM »

and said "Boy let me tell you what!"

Do we all remember the movie Crossroads, 1986, the karate kid is a classical guitar virtuoso who hits the road to learn what it takes to play the blues...he ends up making a deal with the Devil for his and another's souls, a musical duel

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw4dUbutja4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw4dUbutja4</a>

So here is the game...keep in mind this is strictly an opinion based game so no hard feelings if someone does not prefer your style of music or your favorite person...it is just a game.

Game Rules
Cutting Heads

1. one poster puts a pic and video link of a musical talent...it does not need to be guitar...could be horns, drums, violin, vocals, etc...then the next poster puts up a challenge pic and video link.

(challenges should be from a related source...guitar vs a guitar rather than guitar vs kettle drum...the exact type of source need not be the same, a bass guitar vs lead guitar would be fine...at least somewhat related)

* Also lets try for some variety. If the last match up was between a guitar vs guitar lets try for vocals vs vocal or something else rather than another guitar match up. Posters won't be punished or criticized for posting a match up similar to the previous one, but things could start to get old if a trend of a certain style starts to occur.

2. video link should be 5mins or less...if longer then only the first 5mins should count.

3. When posting your video be sure to state which is the main focus of the video. For example if you post a video with more than one person in it, state what you want the viewer to judge the video by. Like vocals, guitar, drums or the bands performance as a whole.  That way the next video poster will be able to find an appropriate video to combat yours.

4. broken links are a loss by default.

5. after the two are posted then we vote...first one to get 5 votes wins...the other is cut...never to play again...thrown into the pit of dispair!

(the two posters do not vote on their challenge!)

6. winners may be brought up as often as it can be done, losers posted later down the line are default losers automatically...so if they lose do not use them again.

*The cases of videos with lots of backup instruments should be rationalized by the voters...give credit to the main artist/musician and not all the backup and supporting efforts.*

Just to review, using the above video...

Poster A...Jack Butler
Poster B...Lightning Boy

By the votes Lightning Boy wins 5:4, close match

Jack Butler loses and he is cast down down down
Lightning Boy survives to fight another day if desired

That is it  Smiley

Rule additions
PS
The real person behind Jack Butler (Steve V) is still available because it was just an example. Characters used as with Lightning Boy are fine, but keep in mind that real people played the music (Ry Cooder), best to respect the artist and show their picture with the actor/character in the video.

PSS
Post a cruddy video link or your guy's not best performance, don't cry...just because they may be the best if you post a yuck video he or she may lose anyway  Sad

PSSS
If a challenge goes on for 3 days after the day it was posted without a result then it will be called a draw, and restarted with another pair!

Let us begin!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:10:57 PM by Moderator Big Boss » Logged

Light side points please Smiley

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 04:16:07 AM »

I offer Ukulele (no not a joke lol) Jake Shimabukuro

WIN 5 to 2

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k</a>
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:47:21 PM by Moderator Big Boss » Logged

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 05:31:45 AM »

I LOVE YOU ANDY JAMES!!! (electric guitar virtuoso) I'm sure that'll be fine since they are both string instruments.

Loss  2 to 5

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV18vFmDXPM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV18vFmDXPM</a>
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:58:41 PM by Moderator Big Boss » Logged

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 05:39:02 AM »

And we are off...acoustic ukulele vs electric guitar.

Let the voting begin!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 05:44:52 AM by Jedi Relmeob » Logged

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 06:31:24 PM »

I vote... ukulele dude. That was insane. Not that Andy James is a slacker or anything, it was a tough call - but this Jake Shimabukuro fellow is an incredible artist.

no

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 06:43:06 PM »

I vote andy james. now I don't even really know who andy james is other than from the video posted, but I felt more atune with the guitar than the ukulele. Perhaps if it was a different song by jake i would have voted differently. Oh well, still a tough call.Tongue

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 07:07:09 PM »

I vote andy james. now I don't even really know who andy james is other than from the video posted, but I felt more atune with the guitar than the ukulele. Perhaps if it was a different song by jake i would have voted differently. Oh well, still a tough call.Tongue

He is a world-renowned guitar teacher for this guitar/bass tuition company called Licklibrary and he is also the guitarist for the metal band, Sacred Mother Tongue. I own quite a few of his DVD's that he did for Licklibrary Grin They've helped me improve so much.

Anyway, thanks for your votes Smiley See, Rel?! I totally did not bring an assault rifle to a knife fight  Wink

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 07:25:22 PM »

Lol  Jake Shimabukuro the ukulele guy is one of the top two or three in the world with the ukulele...I know I know...it seems like a nothing instrument but he has a huge following and tours the world constantly to sold out shows...small intimate venues but he has guests star musicians that show up all the time and he pops up on stages during concerts.

Heavy metal vs jazz...acoustic vs amped electric...it is an interesting challenge of extremes to be sure.

Keep voting guys and gals!

1 : 1

BenPass
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »

I vote ukulele. My reasons:
1) Though the assau...electric guitar was amazing, I HAVE heard some better, more technical stuff.
2) The ukulele was probably the best uke playing I've ever heard.
3) The ukulele just makes me smile when I hear it.
4) The world, and this thread needs more ukulele.

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 07:45:34 PM »

It's basically a battle between very precise finger-picking skills and very tight plectrum-picking / vibrato.

The main thing I've noticed about Jake, and the thing that really stood out to me was how controlled his thumb was when picking. It's such an awkward tool to use when finger-picking anything other than the bass strings, but he's practically mastered it. Also, very smooth transitions from strumming to free-strokes, which I really enjoyed. Also, the crescendo with the erratic strumming was brilliant.

For Andy James, the main thing that's always stood out to me was 1) His extremely tight alternate picking during the shredding. 2) His attention-to-detail as far as vibrato goes. It's something a lot of guitarists overlook, and it's actually a very important skill to master because of how much more emotion can be wringed out of each individual note, which is particularly useful in a slow song like this. Also, his use of a central grouping of notes, while adding vibrato and bends for flavor, then flawless transitions into other groupings of notes that don't sound awkward at all.

Both of them have exceptional musicality and composition skills as well.

Definitely an interesting match-up.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:49:33 PM by TheHobbitofDune » Logged

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 07:47:21 PM »

Very much so...both I am sure would welcome a sit down and shop talk  Smiley

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 02:44:04 AM »

It just so happens I'm a Ukulele fan. Good guitarists are pretty common, good Uke players not so much, so Jake Shimabukuro gets my vote.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

BenPass
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 02:45:50 AM »

So, it's 3-1 for the Uke!

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 02:49:34 AM »

I will have my revenge in the next round Wink Actually I'll just sit out next round.

No hard feelings though...

Maybe...

Master Rel
Game Master
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 05:04:55 AM »

No worries...just a game and the game is not over yet  Smiley