Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: How to watch Star Wars for the first time?  (Read 9364 times)
TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »

I disagree, simply to make you feel better about nobody disagreeing.   Grin Grin

I see what you did there Wink

Valx Vanzan
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -97

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 12:00:15 PM »

Upon reading the thread title, my smarmy side wanted to reply with "Put the movie in and press 'Play'..." but I have to agree with Hobbit's post.

LOL At least that wasn't the first or only response. I was definitely counting on people to read more than the title Smiley

((Dark Side Points FTW))

- Manticore  - BR  w/sound
- Overlord   - DVA  FoC AS  w/sound
- Aeon LE    - CG
Accessories: Dark Warglaive emitter/pommel

jjpprob
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 14

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »

I actually saw online somewhere (I can't recall where) a THIRD watching order. Episode IV, Episode V, Episode I, Episode II, Episode III, Episode VI. So you still get the revelation of Vader, then you get the "aaaaaaaaand here's how it happened", as a sort of flashback, then back to the rebellion to finish watching it on a cheery note with Return of the Jedi. It WOULD spoil the Leia revelation (reveleiation?) but other than that, I'm very intrigued by it. However, when I have kids, I'll probably introduce them to it OT first, then PT.

Sabers I own:
Arctic Blue Aeon v3 Stunt

Slaxxor
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 36

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 08:38:02 PM »

I like what is called the Hatchet method:  4, 5, 2, 3, 6 and skip episode 1.  Nothing happens in ep1 that is important to the story.    Google hatchet method for a better explanation. ..

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 09:23:35 PM »

I like what is called the Hatchet method:  4, 5, 2, 3, 6 and skip episode 1.  Nothing happens in ep1 that is important to the story.    Google hatchet method for a better explanation. ..

I googled "hatchet method".

Top four results:

1. Facebook page for some band

2. Pictures from said Facebook page

3. Installation of a Mini Speedo

4. Advice on how to decapitate a chicken

After that it's random stuff, mostly survival-related.

Undecided

no

Valx Vanzan
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 10:25:12 PM »

It's a bold move leaving out a movie entirely. I can't imagine not knowing Qui-Gon or Maul though.  Story wise I guess we get to see how Anakin and his mother get seperated starting his path to the dark side. Also the Sith show up for the first time in a long time. They mention it in ep3 but its Qui-Gon who will teach Obi how to communicate after death so another reason to know him.

((Dark Side Points FTW))

- Aeon LE    - CG

Slaxxor
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »

I googled "hatchet method".

Top four results:

1. Facebook page for some band

2. Pictures from said Facebook page

3. Installation of a Mini Speedo

4. Advice on how to decapitate a chicken

After that it's random stuff, mostly survival-related.

Undecided

Sorry... not hatchet, Machete.  Star Wars Machete Order should get you to the article..

(or just go to http://static.nomachetejuggling.com/machete_order.html )
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 12:17:55 PM by Slaxxor » Logged

Slaxxor
Knight Arbiter

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 12:10:04 PM »

It's a bold move leaving out a movie entirely. I can't imagine not knowing Qui-Gon or Maul though.  Story wise I guess we get to see how Anakin and his mother get seperated starting his path to the dark side. Also the Sith show up for the first time in a long time. They mention it in ep3 but its Qui-Gon who will teach Obi how to communicate after death so another reason to know him.

Qui Gon and Maul do absolutely nothing to advance the overall story.  Anikin isn't even seen for the first 30 minutes or so.  Losing Ep1 gets rid of Jar Jar (nuff said) all mention of midi-chlorians and you don't have to see cute little baby Anikin bumbling around.

Start with SW, then ESB for the Luke/Vader connection, then you go back to the beginning with Obi Wan and Anikin as Master / Padawan, see Anikin turn to Darth Vader, then back to Episode 6 to see Luke beat the emperor and Vader's redemption.

Episode 1 was useless.  Leave it for the end, if they still want to see more you can give it to them "Well, there is one more movie, but I gotta warn ya...."

JEStucker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 340

Founder - The Underfunded Force (Light Points)

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 02:34:04 PM »

My wife had never seen seen IV, V, or VI, so she had the unique opportunity of watching them in the order in Lucas' mind.

Her words-
Ep. 1 - What the hell did I just watch, I don't remember any of what I just saw, it was all too confusing
Ep. 2 - What happened to the little kid?  The queen was elected? She didn't age but he's like 20 now, and she's supposed to be like 10 years older than him? I'm still confused...
Ep. 3 - I don't get it... you like this stuff?

Ep. 4 - Do we have to watch 3 more of these?  Oh, Indiana Jones is in this one, I kinda like it
Ep. 5 - Why didn't we watch these first?  This is actually good... oh, Lucas didn't write it, that explains a lot.
Ep. 6 - The only woman in the galaxy is chained to a slug in a gold bikini... Hey, the teddy bears are cute.  And the good guys won... Why did he make the other three again?

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!

Dominix v2 Fire Orange
Aeon v3 Guardian Blue/Obsidian

Valx Vanzan
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 04:46:55 PM »

My wife had never seen seen IV, V, or VI, so she had the unique opportunity of watching them in the order in Lucas' mind.

Her words-
Ep. 1 - What the hell did I just watch, I don't remember any of what I just saw, it was all too confusing
Ep. 2 - What happened to the little kid?  The queen was elected? She didn't age but he's like 20 now, and she's supposed to be like 10 years older than him? I'm still confused...

Ep. 4 - Do we have to watch 3 more of these?  Oh, Indiana Jones is in this one, I kinda like it
Ep. 5 - Why didn't we watch these first?  This is actually good... oh, Lucas didn't write it, that explains a lot.
Ep. 6 - The only woman in the galaxy is chained to a slug in a gold bikini... Hey, the teddy bears are cute.  And the good guys won... Why did he make the other three again?

LOL her response to episode 3.  I feel like episodes 1,2 and 3 had an opportunity to add to the fan base of Star Wars but fell quite short of inspiring another generation as the original did. Crossing my fingers for worthy sequels in episodes 7,8 and 9.

((Dark Side Points FTW))

- Aeon LE    - CG

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 07:16:24 PM »

I like the Machete order but prefer it modified. With Episode 1 in, between 5 and 2.

BBL AND PROUD! The Expanded Universe - the old, the true, the brave!

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 07:23:12 PM »

Her words-

I chuckled. That is awesome Cheesy

Waxman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 114

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 04:56:09 AM »

Watching the PT before the OT just for the sake of being canon or chronological is like playing Metal Gear Solid 3 before MGS1.

Yes, technically it does make sense in terms of being chronologically accurate but you have to understand the hype that which was MGS3 especially considering how "legendary" they portrayed Big Boss to be, which certainly didn't disappoint once the game was played.

The same way with Star Wars, as much as I hate to admit it, when I first saw a grown up Anakin in Episode III I truly believed that he was the greatest pilot and swordsman in the galaxy, especially during his duel against Dooku.  I wouldn't have had that same feeling had Obi-Wan not talked about Anakin in Episode VI.  It's those kind of lines, much like how the Clone Wars was briefly mentioned in Episode IV that made Episode II really exciting, that is until I watched the film of course.  But the cartoon makes up for that little flop.

For me, the first MGS game I played was MGS2.  I enjoyed all of the characters but especially Raiden as I could connect with him.  Still, Solid Snake and Big Boss were boasted about being legendary soldiers and MGS1 was referenced a lot.  As a result, when I finally played MGS1, I was incredibly amazed and I could see why, at the time, there was such a division between Raiden and Snake and it may have been difficult for fans to accept a potential new character in the series.

I suppose another example would be to show LoTR before The Hobbit.  While The Hobbit is more chronologically accurate, I think it's important to understand how LoTR changed the way people made movies but also how it was advertised and developed.  Once again, the events in The Hobbit were engraved as "legendary" hence the prologue by Galadriel in FoTR and it only made the anticipation for the actual film of The Hobbit that much more exciting.

Showing a kid the PT before the OT is like spoiling them.  All kids really care at that time is the fight scenes, both with lightsabers, blasters, and starships, really [At least I did that is].  It's only until you're older do you appreciate things like the conversations and the character development.  In Episode VI there's like 2-3 scenes where Luke actually uses his lightsaber.  In Episode V maybe 3-4 scenes.  In Episode IV, however, only 1-2.  Now watch the PT and count how many times lightsabers are used.  It's almost ridiculous.  I argue that by showing kids the PT is like spoiling them and they may not find the OT quite as interesting.

Kind of like having kids play Super Mario Brothers 25 instead of starting with the original.  If they get hooked on what's new then what reason would they have to try out something old?

The TL,DR version:  Newcomer's should learn to appreciate the originals before jumping into the new, of anything, otherwise they may lose a reason to care about how things developed.

Ultrasabers:
Bellicose-VA. Bane-BR. Consular-CG. x2 Initiate V3-SY. Aeon V3-GB. x4 Yari [Pike] Extensions.
Grab-Bag:
Aeon V3-GB. Dark Liberator V3-AB. Dominix V2-AB. Dominix V2-GB. Initiate V2-BR
Wishlist:
Manticore-PO. Dark Catalyst-Emerald. Shock LE-SY. Overlord-BR. Bellicose-VA. Archon-CG. Arbiter-AS.

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 05:02:51 AM »

Point for Waxman for a long, well thought-out post with logical reasoning, good spelling, and equally unblemished grammar.

no

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 06:09:36 AM »

Hmm... Well, I think the movies should be viewed OT, then PT.  My reasoning, however, is a bit different than what you'd usually hear.

I think that Episode IV is a better place for a beginner, because it makes the most sense.  It was written and directed for people who (supposedly) had no idea what the universe had in store for them.  Thus, like any well-made movie should, it spends the time to show us the premise, and introduce us to the world without throwing lightsabers and the Force and Sith at you.

Whereas the prequels were written with an established fan base in mind, and although it did re-establish the universe a little bit, that was more to show us the era.  Right off the bat, there were lightsabers out, and talk of Sith, and then there was Anakin.  It threw everything at you, assuming you had already learned the basics of what the Jedi stand for and who the Sith are.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: