Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Archon FreeSaber - Red  (Read 8067 times)
navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« on: April 14, 2011, 04:58:16 PM »

We got the Archon as our Free Saber for the recent give away. It’s a PVC model and as such a little part of Ultra Sabers history that I was not a part of the first time around. Since I would not have ordered one as a grab bag I am happy to have gotten one for free. It’s really interesting to see where the company has been.

It’s much thicker than either of the aluminum models we have, the Prophecy and Initiate. As you can see from the pictures it was a little beat up, but since the destiny of any PVC saber we got for FREE was to go to my almost three year old that is actually a bonus. I know a guy who has keyed the last two new cars he’s purchased as soon as he got it home, “just to get it out of the way”. Ha!

My favorite part of the design is the emitter. I really like the big wide mouth. You can see in some of the pictures that the ring itself is on pretty wonky, which is probably the cause of its factory second, FreeSaber, fate. It’s also got some bubbling on the black coating right above the final ring, under the emitter. I bet I could cover that with just some acrylic, but like I said above, this thing is pre-keyed for a three year old. ;-)

The blade sits well down in the hilt, and comes out a definite angle. You can see that better below than above. I tried to line up the hilt parallel in the frame so you could see how much it diverges. Over a full 36” blade it travels out of line quite a bit. I'm sure there's plenty of ways to fix this, but, let's say I'm unmotivated given its family use niche. ;-)

The off center ring and the blade kink combine to give it sort of a 50’s sci-fi retro look which I kind of dig, like the Tomorrow Land rocket ride redux at Disney Land!

The blade is held in by a MUCH larger set screw than the modern hilts. It locks that thing in tight. Even with the 36” blade it goes nowhere. I actually sort of like the ultra positive feel of the grip you get with this huge screw. On the little ones since you’re sort of digging into the tube when you screw them in, there’s a lot more play as you tighten it. On this big boy, when you get it tight, you damn well know it. True, it’s massive and breaks the lines on the thing, and with all the fancy new gorgeous metal models they’re making now they just wouldn’t work. But, there’s something to be said for old fashioned utilitarian sturdiness! Below is a comparison of the set screws with Killian’s Initiate.

The Archon was sent to us red. I was left unsatisfied with how I wrote up a portion of my Prophecy review. So, this time I’m breaking down the review of the “color” into Brightness and Hue. In my previous review I came off as somewhat contradictory trying to reconcile both facets of the blade in one concept, and it just doesn’t work. There’s two components to how the thing looks, and they need separate treatment. I’m going to back and rectify that on the Prophecy review as well. So:

Standard Edge, with and without flash:

Please pay special attention to how deep the red tone is on the standard edge compared to the ultra. It can’t really be overstated how beautiful this color is.

Ultra Edge, with and without flash:

All the pictures are with 24” blades as they show off the color best. This blade when lit is magnificent. The hue is a deep, dark bloody red. It destroys our MR Vader’s red. There’s nothing really to compare other than this one is an amazing burning red, and the other one sort of tries. A little.

I’ll sum up my subjective opinion thus:

HUE
Standard Edge: 10/10
Ultra Edge: 8/10

BRIGHTNESS
Standard Edge: 9.5/10 (I think the green might be the tiniest bit brighter, but, if at all, not by much.)
Ultra Edge: 8/10 (Fuller, but… duller? They just don’t do it for me.)

As a neat little side effect of the little rings cut in the material, you get a nice bright embellishment beneath the emitter showing off the blade’s color.

Finally, I want to show off my favorite thing about the hilt. The big wide mouth emitter, when combined with a standard edge blade, has a distinctly ‘realistic’ light sabery appearance to where it emerges from the hilt. The diameter of the emitter, combined with the perceived thinness of the blade looks wicked, sinister:

Cool huh?

So to sump up, I really like the hilt. There’s no mistake that Ultra Sabers has come a LONG way in terms of quality of construction. The new aluminum Initiates / Aeon / Dominix / Standards are just so awesome, I don’t really see anyone exactly preferring one of these old PVCs. You might expect it to be lighter and perhaps more maneuverable than say the Initiate, but it is actually noticeably heavier. However, as a grab bag, and certainly as a FreeSaber, you wouldn’t be disappointed. This guy sure as hell is not:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:03:29 PM by navajas » Logged

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

Smokiewan
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -7

What's with the darkside points people?

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:37:54 PM »

He looks down right giddy! Cheesy

Great review Navajas. Looking forward to your next one.

LDM's O.G. Anakin AOTC 616 conversion,'05 MR Windu ROTS,'08 HFX Dooku ROTS,"C.A.T.S"(Chewie's Auto Trim Special) US Oppressor v.2, "The Cheerleader" US S.I(Steel), "Billy" US Wraith v.2, "Gripz" US S.I v.2

Gulcasa
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 7

The Big Bang Theory :D

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:58:02 PM »

nice review and nice blade.. even if I dont like PVC hilts.. :/ they're not the real thing.. you know?

(_||||____o|||||_/                                                             )
STANDARD ISSUE BATTLE SABERS!
(_||||____o|||||_\                                                             )

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:08:35 PM »

A) They're real enough for my son.
B) They'd seem real enough if one was swinging at your head.
C) From about 15 feet you probably couldn't tell the difference.

Would I select the "PVC" option from the drop down on the Grab Bag page? Well, no, but we're talking about make believe energy weapons: I don't think any of them are more or less, "real".

Darth Dau Kho
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -43

Darkside points please

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »

Couldn't agree more. Its hard to complian when something is free anyway haha.

BR SI, GB Dark Initiate v3, CG Dark Initiate v3, GB Archon v2 Obsidian, AS Custom Aeon v2, AB Dark Initiate v3, VA Dark Initiate v3, VA Initiate v2

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 08:28:30 PM »

Well, judging by the picture, your son looks happy, so I'd say it was a success.

I'm thinking of getting a grab bag if I can scrounge up the money, just to put a PVC saber in my collection. The metal ones may be more "real," but I like the PVC ones too.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Gulcasa
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 09:20:14 PM »

don't see it as offence.. Its just my opinion Smiley
I'm glad that your son is being happy with it.. I would be happy with it too Smiley everyone else would be!
I mean -> Saber for free = WIN!

but I think you all know the difference between having PVC in your hand or bare naked metal.
The cold feeling of an Lightsaber that lied around for minimum 2 hours.. is a different feeling of an PVC..
that is the thing I ment with "real" Smiley
In aspect of bright light, nobleness, elegance and civilized weapon.. a PVC is awesome as well Smiley

(_||||____o|||||_/                                                             )
(_||||____o|||||_\                                                             )

navajas
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 06:06:46 PM »

I think it's well worth having a PVC one. They're not offering them anymore in the main line so at some point they'll be gone, right? I love my Prophecy times ten, but, it's so beautiful I'm hesitant to had it off for long, you know? I mean I let my kids play with it here and there, but I can't hand it to them and turn my back. Well, actually I COULD, but I don't want to. Precious, it's my precious.

The Archon?

"Sure Aksel, have fun, Just don't knock your brother out with it OK? Oh, you dropped it. That's ok little buddy, they're super duper tough. Yes right, a car right over the top, like in the video. Mmm hmm. No, not Daddy's though, that's right. Well, yes it would, but I wouldn't want it all scratched up huh? OK, go play now Aksel. Oh, I'm sorry, go play now Darth."

Gulcasa
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 06:44:53 PM »

"Sure Aksel, have fun, Just don't knock your brother out with it OK? Oh, you dropped it. That's ok little buddy, they're super duper tough. Yes right, a car right over the top, like in the video. Mmm hmm. No, not Daddy's though, that's right. Well, yes it would, but I wouldn't want it all scratched up huh? OK, go play now Aksel. Oh, I'm sorry, go play now Darth."

makes me laugh Cheesy hahaha awesome story ^^
well in some way you're right, since they don't make them.. they are like oldtimers somehow.. :O
damn now I want an PVC blade as well XDD

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: