Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 927297 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2970 on: November 09, 2018, 03:56:41 PM »

Flying since the age of 6? C'mon. That doesn't seem a little contrived?

Not to me.  He sat in his mothers lap while she taught him how to fly her ship.  Kids do that all the time in the real world with cars...or at least they used to, I did.

And if he were part Han, he'd be a little bit of a self-preserving prick.

I meant in terms of his self assurance and skill

He's just a good guy, with zippy one liners and all the charisma in the galaxy.

....and? Tongue

Gag me with a friggin' spoon.

Tea, Table, dessert or soup?

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2971 on: November 09, 2018, 10:28:50 AM »

He sat in his mothers lap while she taught him how to fly her ship.  Kids do that all the time in the real world with cars...or at least they used to, I did.
So did I, but that doesn't mean Red Bull is chasing me down to drive for them.

I meant in terms of his self assurance and skill
So.....arrogant?

....and? Tongue

Tea, Table, dessert or soup?
AND....it's nauseating. They pretty much did this to every character. They tried way too hard to make every them fit a mold. Made things painfully predictable.

I was thinking more along the lines of mixing spoon.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #2972 on: November 09, 2018, 08:16:30 PM »

They tried way too hard to make every them fit a mold. Made things painfully predictable.

But all the OT characters are based on well known archetypes. They all fit a mold. Why would they change that method of story telling 7 movies in?

As far as Poe's piloting skills, Luke had never even been off world, and just like that he's the best pilot in the Rebellion? That doesn't seem a little contrived?

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2973 on: November 09, 2018, 09:54:26 PM »

So did I, but that doesn't mean Red Bull is chasing me down to drive for them.

No...but if that had inspired a love and passion for driving that went beyond going  from A to B, which then lead to racing cars, which lead to becoming very skilled.  Then Red Bull might be chasing you down.  Same with Poe.  He grew to love flying and wanted to follow in his Heroes footsteps.  None of this is contrived.

So.....arrogant?

yea.  Not boasting if you can back it up

AND....it's nauseating. They pretty much did this to every character. They tried way too hard to make every them fit a mold. Made things painfully predictable.

Characters ALWAYS fit some type of mold...

But all the OT characters are based on well known archetypes. They all fit a mold. Why would they change that method of story telling 7 movies in?

As far as Poe's piloting skills, Luke had never even been off world, and just like that he's the best pilot in the Rebellion? That doesn't seem a little contrived?

As far as Luke goes, its not a fair comparison .  Luke is The Chosen One's son and Strong in the Force.  His situation is a bit different than Poe's

Darth Silenoz
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1287

Sith Juggernaut

« Reply #2974 on: November 09, 2018, 10:00:09 PM »

As far as Luke goes, its not a fair comparison .  Luke is The Chosen One's son and Strong in the Force.  His situation is a bit different than Poe's

This is true. Point taken. I'll just let you two work this out. It's very entertaining. Grin
I will say this though, I'm tending to agree with DT.

"I believe it is quite possible to misbehave while still employing good manners." - Darth Logos

"There are too many stupid people, and I do not have enough patience for a whole universe of bozos." - Lady Revan

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #2975 on: November 09, 2018, 03:33:43 PM »

If the way Rey and Poe were presented to us was more nuanced and not so over the top, it probably wouldn't be such an issue. It's just that watching Eps 7 and 8 it's like their sheer overpowered-ness is both in your face and shoved down your throat. I used to think of JJ directing the film and thinking "muahaha, you Star Wars fans think you know powerful characters, well watch THIS."

As OP as Rey is, Poe is almost worse because he isn't force-sensitive and yet is unashamedly presented as the best pilot in the galaxy past or present. The what... 14 or something TIE fighters he took out in 10 seconds during the mission on Takodana was all we needed to see to know that Star Wars ain't what it once was.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2976 on: November 09, 2018, 11:33:35 PM »

As OP as Rey is, Poe is almost worse because he isn't force-sensitive and yet is unashamedly presented as the best pilot in the galaxy past or present.

I never saw this insinuated, he never claimed to be the "Best Pilot Evar!"  His claim was "Best Pilot in the Resistance".  Why is this a stretch?  Han boasts about his prowess during his introduction same as Poe.  30 years of Technology and Training advancement has happened, it isn't far fetched to see that in play in skillful pilots.  Poe had a natural affinity for flying, he was trained by one of the most skilled pilots in the rebellion then went on to have more training based on the techniques of the likes of Wedge and Luke.  His skill was due to the bad asses of the past.  As for Rey, she was presented as Mysterious.  She obviously had skills that she couldn't have just picked up.  This was (as with JJ) a mystery box.  I have no issue with that.  It was Rian Johnson and TLJ that ruined any advancement. 

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #2977 on: November 10, 2018, 12:17:51 AM »

I never saw this insinuated, he never claimed to be the "Best Pilot Evar!"  His claim was "Best Pilot in the Resistance".  Why is this a stretch?  Han boasts about his prowess during his introduction same as Poe.  30 years of Technology and Training advancement has happened, it isn't far fetched to see that in play in skillful pilots.  Poe had a natural affinity for flying, he was trained by one of the most skilled pilots in the rebellion then went on to have more training based on the techniques of the likes of Wedge and Luke.  His skill was due to the bad asses of the past.  As for Rey, she was presented as Mysterious.  She obviously had skills that she couldn't have just picked up.  This was (as with JJ) a mystery box.  I have no issue with that.  It was Rian Johnson and TLJ that ruined any advancement. 

He never claimed it, sure, but he didn't need to. His battlefield prowess is presented as lightyears beyond anything that Wedge, Luke, Anakin, or Han could ever hope to do. And that's the issue. Poe isn't force-sensitive and therefore shouldn't be as great a pilot as say Anakin or Luke yet he is much, much better. He makes force-sensitives look like bush pilots.

Just take another gander. Absolutely nothing else in Star Wars comes remotely close to this level.
<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=aekwk_CWw1w" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2978 on: November 10, 2018, 12:59:55 AM »

He never claimed it, sure, but he didn't need to. His battlefield prowess is presented as lightyears beyond anything that Wedge, Luke, Anakin, or Han could ever hope to do. And that's the issue. Poe isn't force-sensitive and therefore shouldn't be as great a pilot as say Anakin or Luke yet he is much, much better. He makes force-sensitives look like bush pilots.

Just take another gander. Absolutely nothing else in Star Wars comes remotely close to this level.
! No longer available

Again, this is 30 years later.  It makes sense that there would be a pilot more skilled than Wedge or Han.  Because he built upon their skills they passed on (and they did).  Now, as to him showing more prowess than a Force user..I don't agree.  Vader has been shown in rebels and the comics to be able to take on whole squadrons on his own.  The problem is the film makers (Uncle George included) seemed to gloss over Force Sensitives letting loose.  So I don't think the "solution" is to nerf Poe..but actually show a Force user cut loose on film.  On film, so far, all we've seen are Force users in Military roles who can't cut loose.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2979 on: November 10, 2018, 01:39:02 AM »

Again, this is 30 years later.  It makes sense that there would be a pilot more skilled than Wedge or Han.  Because he built upon their skills they passed on (and they did).  Now, as to him showing more prowess than a Force user..I don't agree.  Vader has been shown in rebels and the comics to be able to take on whole squadrons on his own.  The problem is the film makers (Uncle George included) seemed to gloss over Force Sensitives letting loose.  So I don't think the "solution" is to nerf Poe..but actually show a Force user cut loose on film.  On film, so far, all we've seen are Force users in Military roles who can't cut loose.

I agree since he doesn't have Force sensitivity that he trained really hard and developed these skills.  It's like special forces in the military they trained in gruesome and brutal ways that most people would think is borderline torture but yet they can perform incredible feats without any hesitation.  Likewise, military pilots train with really hard tools to keep them at their toes and to give them really quick reaction times.  I've seen some incredible pilots myself.

With that said, to think that non-force users can't perform on that level isn't very realistic.  Will they have the advantage of a Force user? No; however, what they lack in Force sensitivity, they make up with hardcore training.   

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #2980 on: November 10, 2018, 01:56:10 AM »

I agree since he doesn't have Force sensitivity that he trained really hard and developed these skills.  It's like special forces in the military they trained in gruesome and brutal ways that most people would think is borderline torture but yet they can perform incredible feats without any hesitation.  Likewise, military pilots train with really hard tools to keep them at their toes and to give them really quick reaction times.  I've seen some incredible pilots myself.

With that said, to think that non-force users can't perform on that level isn't very realistic.  Will they have the advantage of a Force user? No; however, what they lack in Force sensitivity, they make up with hardcore training.   

exactly, not everyone is a marine commando dude (although I understand a few of those are on here  Wink )

And along the lines of what Tepes said, I would love to see a Force user go full "Rage mode" kind of thing where they completely let loose in the movies. That would be very entertaining to see. now that I think about it, a Force user letting loose reminds me of this video...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h8HAT4tLyU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"><b>!</b> No longer available</a>

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2981 on: November 10, 2018, 01:59:09 AM »

exactly, not everyone is a marine commando dude (although I understand a few of those are on here  Wink )

And along the lines of what Tepes said, I would love to see a Force user go full "Rage mode" kind of thing where they completely let loose in the movies. That would be very entertaining to see. now that I think about it, a Force user letting loose reminds me of this video...

! No longer available

I completely agree with both statements.  I would love to see a Force Rage like what happened in TFU games.  That would be epic!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2982 on: November 10, 2018, 02:00:51 AM »

! No longer available

We saw a hint in Rogue One with Vader decimating the Rebel Soldiers.  Thats why either a Vader Film or a Old Republic film is so high on my want list.   But...we're getting a show about Cassian Andor.......... ummmmm  yay?

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #2983 on: November 10, 2018, 02:01:31 AM »

I completely agree with both statements.  I would love to see a Force Rage like what happened in TFU games.  That would be epic!

that trailer is what got me into the game. I SOO wanted to use that repulse ability. Vaporizing an entire legion of baddies always sounds fun I guess.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2984 on: November 10, 2018, 02:15:26 AM »

that trailer is what got me into the game. I SOO wanted to use that repulse ability. Vaporizing an entire legion of baddies always sounds fun I guess.

Agreed.  When I first saw the trailer at E3 and how they explored Force powers, that was how it should be in my opinion and it got me intrigued.  Love both games

Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: