Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 940462 times)
PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #3285 on: September 20, 2019, 02:00:39 PM »

And yet she still has yet to have formal combat training. This SHOULD be listed under the galaxy's most one-sided fights.

To be absolutely fair in TFA Kylo was grievously wounded before that fight, and we dont know the context of this upcoming duel yet.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3286 on: September 20, 2019, 07:31:37 PM »

And yet she still has yet to have formal combat training. This SHOULD be listed under the galaxy's most one-sided fights.

Also, as much as you hate it, she was raised on a desert planet with Unkar Plutt as a father figure. She basically grew up alone in the midst of a world full of people who took whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted. She had to learn how to defend herself. And she obviously got pretty good with a staff. Although yes, she had no formal combat training, she had first hand experience, which is considered by most to be far more useful and realistic than formal training. And, as PS said, Kylo was wounded from a Bowcaster shot (which normally would have instantly killed just about anyone, and thrown them across the room), and Kylo was not remotely in a good state of mind to be fighting in. Not to mention that he was trying to recruit her. Basically everything was against Kylo, and everything was for Rey. She had something to fight for (Finn, Han), which in and of itself gives you an advantage (at least in storytelling).

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Thnkswckd
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -54

I LOVE THE DARKSIDE

« Reply #3287 on: September 20, 2019, 07:45:55 PM »

and what do you think the chance Ray is a Skywalker?

Dont Shoot Like a Trooper!!! One Shot... One Kill!!! If That Fails.. Adapt: Two To The Chest... One To The Head

Bane - Diamond / Chosen One CE - Diamond / Crimson-Grand-Master - Diamond / Guardian - Diamond / SaviorAzure - Diamond /Spectre - Diamond / Franken Saber / Aeon le v3 / Bellicose / Dark Initiate V2 / Dominix v4 / Dominix le v4 / Prophecy v3 / Dark Prophecy v3

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3288 on: September 20, 2019, 07:53:00 PM »

Also, as much as you hate it, she was raised on a desert planet with Unkar Plutt as a father figure. She basically grew up alone in the midst of a world full of people who took whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted. She had to learn how to defend herself. And she obviously got pretty good with a staff. Although yes, she had no formal combat training, she had first hand experience, which is considered by most to be far more useful and realistic than formal training. And, as PS said, Kylo was wounded from a Bowcaster shot (which normally would have instantly killed just about anyone, and thrown them across the room), and Kylo was not remotely in a good state of mind to be fighting in. Not to mention that he was trying to recruit her. Basically everything was against Kylo, and everything was for Rey. She had something to fight for (Finn, Han), which in and of itself gives you an advantage (at least in storytelling).

I too have used all of this to defend her fight against Kylo in TFA, and I still stand by it.  But afterwards...its just poor storytelling.  Yes experience is important.  You show me a Trained Fighter who is untested vs a person with no training who has had to brawl... I might give a slight edge to the Brawler.  But in this Case Kylo has not only formal Training...but Experience as well.  For at least 5 years he's been Snoke's fist as well he killed his fellow students (other than the few that went willingly).  There is no excuse for her being able to take on the Praetorian Guards like she did... She swung a lightsaber at a rock a few times...the were Snoke's elite who were giving Kylo a good fight.  This of course has been said before.  As for ROS...the rumor it will be revealed Leia was fully trained by Luke and she is completing Rey's training.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3289 on: September 20, 2019, 08:15:00 PM »

To be absolutely fair in TFA Kylo was grievously wounded before that fight, and we dont know the context of this upcoming duel yet.
According to the standing tradition behind the bowcaster, Kyle should have been paste. But that's what I mean; Kyle was not at his best when they fought in TFA. The images show what looks like a fit and ready, ntm trained, duelist vs. an as yet untrained opponent.

I said formal combat training. Any thug can learn general fighting skills being raised in a rough environment. She already showed her ability to swing a staff in TFA. But as we can all agree, a staff is by no means a light saber.

Her lack of skill is further shown in that horrible throne room scene in TLJ. Kyle pretty much did all the heavy lifting (killing) in that entire fight. Rey just ridiculously swings a laser sword and tries to look like she's doing something.

and what do you think the chance Ray is a Skywalker?
Better be reeeeeeeaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyyy good, or Ima start a riot.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3290 on: September 20, 2019, 11:09:45 PM »

I too have used all of this to defend her fight against Kylo in TFA, and I still stand by it.  But afterwards...its just poor storytelling.  Yes experience is important.  You show me a Trained Fighter who is untested vs a person with no training who has had to brawl... I might give a slight edge to the Brawler.  But in this Case Kylo has not only formal Training...but Experience as well.  For at least 5 years he's been Snoke's fist as well he killed his fellow students (other than the few that went willingly).  There is no excuse for her being able to take on the Praetorian Guards like she did... She swung a lightsaber at a rock a few times...the were Snoke's elite who were giving Kylo a good fight.  This of course has been said before.  As for ROS...the rumor it will be revealed Leia was fully trained by Luke and she is completing Rey's training.

What I said was simply in defence of the Rey v. Kylo fight in TFA. It does not apply in any way to the Throne Room scene. While I did enjoy that scene, from a realistic perspective, it should not have worked. I had not actually heard the Leia trains Rey theory, but it does make sense. The scene in the trailer where Rey is training, looks extremely similar to the scene where Rey and Leia are hugging (location wise).

According to the standing tradition behind the bowcaster, Kyle should have been paste. But that's what I mean; Kyle was not at his best when they fought in TFA. The images show what looks like a fit and ready, ntm trained, duelist vs. an as yet untrained opponent.

Exactly.

I said formal combat training. Any thug can learn general fighting skills being raised in a rough environment. She already showed her ability to swing a staff in TFA. But as we can all agree, a staff is by no means a light saber.

I will say this though, when Rey first picked up the lightsaber in TFA (technically the second time), she was swinging it, and fighting with it like you would with a staff, except for the fact that a staff can essentially be held just about anywhere (specifically the center 1/3), and the lightsaber can only be held by the hilt. As such, she adapted her staff fighting techniques for a weapon with a single place to hold it. Then the Force thing happened, and she started using it far more like a saber should be used.

Her lack of skill is further shown in that horrible throne room scene in TLJ. Kyle pretty much did all the heavy lifting (killing) in that entire fight. Rey just ridiculously swings a laser sword and tries to look like she's doing something.

You're not wrong there.

Better be reeeeeeeaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyyy good, or Ima start a riot.

I'll join you.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3291 on: September 23, 2019, 01:02:25 PM »

I will say this though, when Rey first picked up the lightsaber in TFA (technically the second time), she was swinging it, and fighting with it like you would with a staff, except for the fact that a staff can essentially be held just about anywhere (specifically the center 1/3), and the lightsaber can only be held by the hilt. As such, she adapted her staff fighting techniques for a weapon with a single place to hold it. Then the Force thing happened, and she started using it far more like a saber should be used.
Her "technique" was actually nothing more more than feral swings....which is pretty much all her staff work was as well.

I'll join you.
Welcome to the Resistance.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #3292 on: September 25, 2019, 01:58:58 AM »

Her "technique" was actually nothing more more than feral swings....which is pretty much all her staff work was as well.

Which is why she never gained the upper hand until she allowed the force to take over.  My theory was she utilized the dark side since A.) thats the only force she had ever encountered in Kylo and B.) she wasn't in a peaceful state of mind.  She was scared....  I hoped that would be a plot point in Ep 8...of course it wasn't.

Apparently in Bob Iger's memoir that just came out he talks about how Lucas was upset and felt betrayed by the fact they outright threw out his ideas for the sequel trilogy.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3293 on: September 25, 2019, 06:35:56 AM »

Apparently in Bob Iger's memoir that just came out he talks about how Lucas was upset and felt betrayed by the fact they outright threw out his ideas for the sequel trilogy.

Yeah, Star.Wars.Theory's breakdown of it is pretty sad. Worth the watch though.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #3294 on: September 25, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »

I knew that Lucas had offered Disney a breakdown of his plotting for the Sequel Trilogy but I don't know anything beyond that.  Anyone have any details?  Not that it really matters beyond trivia but I would like to have an idea as to what alternative we--as fans--could have had instead of the abortion-that-lived Eps.7&8 that we got...

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3295 on: September 25, 2019, 02:38:57 PM »

Lucas gave Disney a show of his plots and they bought it but when The Force Awakens arrived, Lucas realized that nothing was used other than some of the new characters and their arc.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #3296 on: September 25, 2019, 02:46:32 PM »

Lucas gave Disney a show of his plots and they bought it but when The Force Awakens arrived, Lucas realized that nothing was used other than some of the new characters and their arc.
Right.  Sorry, I meant details (if any) of the actual story itself that Lucas had penned.

Sorry for the ambiguity  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3297 on: September 25, 2019, 03:28:38 PM »

Right.  Sorry, I meant details (if any) of the actual story itself that Lucas had penned.

Sorry for the ambiguity  Smiley

No worries, I didn't take it as that. I hope that we'll get what Lucas envisioned but I'm not keeping my hopes up

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3298 on: September 25, 2019, 03:49:09 PM »

Which is why she never gained the upper hand until she allowed the force to take over.  My theory was she utilized the dark side since A.) thats the only force she had ever encountered in Kylo and B.) she wasn't in a peaceful state of mind.  She was scared....  I hoped that would be a plot point in Ep 8...of course it wasn't.
Not necessarily. In the scene where she "turns herself over to the Force" there is a moment she takes to focus and calm herself.

Say what you will about the prequels, they still felt like SW. These Disney flicks have been lacking in that vibe, universally.

Link please?

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #3299 on: September 25, 2019, 04:08:56 PM »

Not necessarily. In the scene where she "turns herself over to the Force" there is a moment she takes to focus and calm herself.
Say what you will about the prequels, they still felt like SW. These Disney flicks have been lacking in that vibe, universally.
Link please?

Which is still shift since without training she was able to focus herself in combat like that...something Jedi learn over years.  Just another example of shoddy story crafting. 

I will always say the Prequels were Inferior films next to the OT... and many of the choices I thought were not that great..BUT...they were still "Star Wars"  and as much as I disliked changes or ideas of his...Lucas gets more of a pass than Disney because it was his world.

If you've never watched his channel, I recommend it highly.  He's the one that put out that bad ass Vader fan film not too long ago..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udaKOdDdcD8" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">www.youtube.com/watch?v=udaKOdDdcD8</a>

I too would like to hear or read one day what Lucas envisioned.  Doubt Disney will let it out though.

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: