Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 938307 times)
ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #3420 on: November 06, 2019, 01:10:21 AM »

Nahh, technicalities count.  I learned that taking the Purity Test back in the '80s.
As Futurama taught us, technically correct is the best kind of correct.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3421 on: November 06, 2019, 03:44:49 PM »

Nahh, technicalities count.  I learned that taking the Purity Test back in the '80s.
If I'm not mistaken, a desert is classified by a lack of precipitation/water, not heat. So if there is snow and ice then the region is Tundra, not desert.

And after an extensive 5 minutes of searching on Google, here is the answer. Cool

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-a-cold-desert-and-a-tundra

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3422 on: November 06, 2019, 07:14:38 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, a desert is classified by a lack of precipitation/water, not heat. So if there is snow and ice then the region is Tundra, not desert.

And after an extensive 5 minutes of searching on Google, here is the answer. Cool

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-a-cold-desert-and-a-tundra

Again, technicalities count.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3423 on: November 06, 2019, 07:20:08 PM »

Speaking of Deserts...... If tattoine were to lose one of its suns (and not be destroyed in the process) how long would you figure it would take for the Planet to change....

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3424 on: November 06, 2019, 07:27:13 PM »

Speaking of Deserts...... If tattoine were to lose one of its suns (and not be destroyed in the process) how long would you figure it would take for the Planet to change....

I would think some changes would be immediate, but I also think that changes would increase in intensity over time, until equilibrium was obtained.  And to come up with SOME answer to the question I think you were asking, I have no idea how long it would take to reach this equilibrium point, but I'd guess it wouldn't be quick.

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3425 on: November 06, 2019, 08:56:50 PM »

It's an interesting question: what happens in a binary system if/when one star goes? Plus, by the looks of it, Tatooine is either distant from the system center, or the binary stars are small. The latter makes me think that their combined gravity is similar to our sun. The prior makes me think that the stars are much larger, and thus even at its orbit, Tatooine still gets plenty of heat and light. In either case, loss of one sun would result in the planetary orbit destabilizing.

Fun fact: Beyond our asteroid belt, the sun is visibly indistinguishable from any other star.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #3426 on: November 06, 2019, 09:12:35 PM »

So answer here is horrifically complex.

The answer to your question depends on the following (yes im going for realism here and ima gonna nitpick a little)
1) Tatooine's weather patterns and seasons
2) Orbit of Tatooine and how it relates to the stars
3) The surviving star's luminosity, distance, density, flare activity, and orbital changes without its' twin.
4) The erased star's luminosity, distance, density, flare activity
5) Tatooine's rotation (which could be changed depending on which star winks out)
6) Is the star still there? (IE did it turn into a black dwarf, supernova, winks out of existence...etc)
7) Tatooine's geothermal activity
8 ) Tatooine's atmospheric composition

Im sure i missed a lot but this is a real complex question. Some changes such as average temperature can change in as little as a few minutes depending on the light distance from the mentioned star (Earth - Sol is approx. 8 light-minutes apart and thus if the sun disappeared we would still bask in normal light & heat for 8 minutes after the fact) but other changes like the orbital catastrophe this would inevitably cause would take awhile.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3427 on: November 06, 2019, 09:57:56 PM »

So answer here is horrifically complex.

The answer to your question depends on the following (yes im going for realism here and ima gonna nitpick a little)
1) Tatooine's weather patterns and seasons
2) Orbit of Tatooine and how it relates to the stars
3) The surviving star's luminosity, distance, density, flare activity, and orbital changes without its' twin.
4) The erased star's luminosity, distance, density, flare activity
5) Tatooine's rotation (which could be changed depending on which star winks out)
6) Is the star still there? (IE did it turn into a black dwarf, supernova, winks out of existence...etc)
7) Tatooine's geothermal activity
8 ) Tatooine's atmospheric composition

Im sure i missed a lot but this is a real complex question. Some changes such as average temperature can change in as little as a few minutes depending on the light distance from the mentioned star (Earth - Sol is approx. 8 light-minutes apart and thus if the sun disappeared we would still bask in normal light & heat for 8 minutes after the fact) but other changes like the orbital catastrophe this would inevitably cause would take awhile.
Points for realism. Grin

I would consider 8 min pretty immediate. Also, without the gravity well, there is nothing to counteract the planet from moving in a linear trajectory. I'm not entirely sure how/if this would be felt in the earth's surface. But it would get dark and cold very fast. Best guess, earth would be dead within a week if the sun got oopsed.

Sig by For Tyeth

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3428 on: November 06, 2019, 11:03:45 PM »

You simply refuse to admit when you're wrong, don't you?  Well, wrong or not, nobody can call you a quitter.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3429 on: November 07, 2019, 12:52:33 PM »

You simply refuse to admit when you're wrong, don't you?  Well, wrong or not, nobody can call you a quitter.

This and point incoming

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3430 on: November 07, 2019, 01:27:52 PM »

It's more just an excuse to quote Dr. Cox.

But I still stand that although both regions may have similar qualities, the primary difference between them is the amount of water. One would hardly classify Hoth as a desert planet.

Sig by For Tyeth

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3431 on: November 07, 2019, 02:46:28 PM »

But I still stand that although both regions may have similar qualities, the primary difference between them is the amount of water. One would hardly classify Hoth as a desert planet.

To be fair, we don't know if there is much precipitation on Hoth; we saw it for about one day.  It might have lots of precipitation, or that snow we see blowing around at night might have been only blowing snow, not new snowfall.  As a result, it's difficult to argue for it being called a desert planet in general.

However, to keep beating a dead horse (because why not), let's assume that the vast majority of Hoth has less than the requisite 10" (25.4cm) of average annual precipitation, and the ice and snow that we do see is the result of years, decades, centuries, or millennia of accumulation, just to make it technically possible that it is both an ice planet (as it is called in-canon) and a desert planet.

I think that, to your point (or at least what I think is your point), Logos, most everybody is going to call it "the ice planet Hoth" rather than "the freezing-cold, ice-covered desert planet Hoth."  Yes, it would be a desert planet, but in common parlance, it's going to be known as an ice planet.

Now... is everyone happy satisfied?

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3432 on: November 07, 2019, 03:06:19 PM »

To be fair, we don't know if there is much precipitation on Hoth; we saw it for about one day.  It might have lots of precipitation, or that snow we see blowing around at night might have been only blowing snow, not new snowfall.  As a result, it's difficult to argue for it being called a desert planet in general.

However, to keep beating a dead horse (because why not), let's assume that the vast majority of Hoth has less than the requisite 10" (25.4cm) of average annual precipitation, and the ice and snow that we do see is the result of years, decades, centuries, or millennia of accumulation, just to make it technically possible that it is both an ice planet (as it is called in-canon) and a desert planet.

I think that, to your point (or at least what I think is your point), Logos, most everybody is going to call it "the ice planet Hoth" rather than "the freezing-cold, ice-covered desert planet Hoth."  Yes, it would be a desert planet, but in common parlance, it's going to be known as an ice planet.

Now... is everyone happy satisfied?
HEY! If Rocky can punch up a side of beef, we can beat on a dead horse. Wink

I changed my wording to 'water'. Snow and ice = water. Deserts are defined by their lack of water. Going off of that criteria, Hoth has more in common with Kamino than Tatooine in that it is covered in snow and ice (at least in cinematic depiction; we don't see the entire global climate). Plus we have already seen it snowing....a LOT on Hoth. It was 2 days at least. First day: when Luke gets lost and found. Second day: when Han and Chewie go droid hunting. And I can't really remember if it was snowing after the battle. And one could hardly argue that Luke was fighting fit after only a few hours in a bacta tank, and the opening chapter of ESB took place in a day and a half. But we can argue about the chronology later.

Sig by For Tyeth

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3433 on: November 07, 2019, 03:23:29 PM »

HEY! If Rocky can punch up a side of beef, we can beat on a dead horse. Wink

I changed my wording to 'water'. Snow and ice = water. Deserts are defined by their lack of water. Going off of that criteria, Hoth has more in common with Kamino than Tatooine in that it is covered in snow and ice (at least in cinematic depiction; we don't see the entire global climate). Plus we have already seen it snowing....a LOT on Hoth. It was 2 days at least. First day: when Luke gets lost and found. Second day: when Han and Chewie go droid hunting. And I can't really remember if it was snowing after the battle. And one could hardly argue that Luke was fighting fit after only a few hours in a bacta tank, and the opening chapter of ESB took place in a day and a half. But we can argue about the chronology later.
[/quote
Considering the the #2 definition of desert (according to Merriam-Webster) is "an area of water apparently devoid of life," I'm going to have to call foul on this.

The #1 definition at that same source is "arid land with usually sparse vegetation (especially: such land having a very warm climate and receiving less than 25 cm (10 inches) of sporadic rainfall annually)."  The primary definition is that it's dry.  (Arid is defined as "excessively dry, specifically : having insufficient rainfall to support agriculture")  This would qualify Hoth as a desert planet, because the "especially" part is not the main definition, it is a special case (hence the "especially" part), albeit a very common one.

I'll give you the longer stay on the healing period, but we still saw only the one snowstorm, and it takes a LOT of snowfall to add up to even one inch of rainfall, so that is inconclusive.  We don't even know how much of that storm was blowing snow that was already on the ground, and how much was new accumulation.

I still say that Hoth could be technically a desert planet, but from what we've seen of it, most folks would still call it an ice planet.

I am officially done beating this poor equine, so you can have the last word, Logos.  I will try REALLY hard not to comment any more on this topic, because I'm getting worn out just thinking about it, and I can only imagine what it's like for everyone but you and me to read this.

To everyone who had to read this and doesn't care, I apologize.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #3434 on: November 07, 2019, 08:03:44 PM »

To everyone who had to read this and doesn't care, I apologize.
Not at all Cyclops!

I, for one, love the discourse   Smiley

Besides, we're Star Wars fans; we collectively LOVE to argue ad nauseam on topics   Grin

...And Hoth would be classified as a cold desert IMO  Wink

Points for Logos and Cyclops for not only presenting their respective opinions as well as beating the horse to death, life, redeath, undeath, and beyond  Cheesy

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: