Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 927404 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2145 on: January 18, 2017, 03:22:11 PM »

So, the Darksaber is unique (not an old saber design commonplace) created by the First ever mando Jedi, Ta, Vizsla, and stolen from the temple by his clan after his death.  Personally, makes me like the idea even more.  

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2146 on: January 18, 2017, 04:11:54 PM »

Just watched that terrible arc. It never really explained where the saber came from of who created it, only that Clan Vizsla liberated it from the Jedi temple way back, and had been used as a symbol of the family's right to rule.

I've given much thought to that abomination of sci-fi technology, and still can't conceive of a single A) means and B) reason for the shaped blade. Flat?....yes. Black?...yes. But not shaped.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2147 on: January 18, 2017, 04:21:18 PM »

Just watched that terrible arc. It never really explained where the saber came from of who created it, only that Clan Vizsla liberated it from the Jedi temple way back, and had been used as a symbol of the family's right to rule.

I've given much thought to that abomination of sci-fi technology, and still can't conceive of a single A) means and B) reason for the shaped blade. Flat?....yes. Black?...yes. But not shaped.

How did you watch it when it hasn't come out yet...only the preview.  Ever think you're nitpicking a little too much on the tech?  That seems to be the main complaint you have.  Star Wars takes place in a Universe so far advanced than our own they had hyperdrives thousands of years in their past... anything they have that we can't explain can be just chalked up to  "Hey, they are way ahead of us" and let go.  At least in my opinion.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2148 on: January 18, 2017, 05:31:33 PM »

How did you watch it when it hasn't come out yet...only the preview.
TCW. Are you talking about something new?

Ever think you're nitpicking a little too much on the tech?  That seems to be the main complaint you have.  Star Wars takes place in a Universe so far advanced than our own they had hyperdrives thousands of years in their past... anything they have that we can't explain can be just chalked up to  "Hey, they are way ahead of us" and let go.  At least in my opinion.
But it is conceived by people here. I've always been very science minded. Even as a child, I remember trying to work out the physics of how a lightsaber blade was produced. As my understanding of science in both the real and sci-fi realms expanded, the concept became more and more tangible. At some point certain elements overlap. Light is light, regardless of what time or galaxy you live in. I can't explain how a smart phone touch screen works or how a microprocessor turns a bunch of ones and zeros into an elaborate image, but I don't need to because I have seen the results with my own eyes. I don't question the explanation of how it works, because I've seen it work. Show me a light blade shaped like a short sword, and will forever henceforth love the Dark Saber.

Case in point: the T-1000. How does a blob of "mimetic poly-alloy" store processing information, generate surface color, or maintain shape? NTM how could it have been sent back in time if living tissue was needed to cover the machine and "nothing non-living can be sent back"? Principles that were established in the first movie. But these aren't the questions of a nit-picking 35yo. These were the questions of the 10yo when he first saw the movie in 1991. It's still one of my favorite movies. The T-1000 was a great villain and the visual effects kicked serious ass, but the holes diminished the effect for me. The T-X addressed some of the holes, but not all (plus was much easier on the eyes Grin). But then T3 opened up more holes: how does a computer virus control vehicles that don't have auto-pilot? Undecided

I apologize if I come across as a net troll. But I'm truly seeking other view points and explanations to help me understand and enjoy the established stories more. Introducing a complex and unique concepts, and then saying "it just does....." comes off as terrible story telling to me. As if the writers wanted new and exciting but couldn't be bothered to iron out details. I have a mind to tear the Force a new one in my book. But any concept I can't explain won't be used.

One of the aspects of R1 that many including myself have been enjoying is the plot point that the DS1 weakness was an engineered sabotage. Plus, the Rebels were told where it was and how to hit it. If they actually had to "analyze" the specs to pinpoint the pin-prick location on a moon sized station, I'm fairly certain this is how the story would have ended...

"We got it..."

True it took 40yrs, but it tied things up nicely.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Benji
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 163

« Reply #2149 on: January 18, 2017, 05:55:40 PM »

: how does a computer virus control vehicles that don't have auto-pilot? Undecided

"We got it..."

Any vehicle with OnStar or a simmilar service installed (or, really, any that has a wi-fi link in it of any kind... as they all are controlled by computers at some level these days) can be hacked and could possibly be controlled by the kind of AI that is involved in this movie.  It's a bit of a reach, but plausible.  But older cars... like built before computer controlled stuff... nope.

Still like this pic... I saw it in a Red Robbin near here: 

I have but four enemies: Envy, Lust, Greed and Lethargy...

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2150 on: January 18, 2017, 07:48:21 PM »

TCW. Are you talking about something new?

Yes, In TCW all Pre Vizsla said was the Mando's took it from the Temple during the Old Republic.  In the next Episode of REBELS Kanan is training Sabine how to use the Darksaber to take over Clan Vizsla.  In the preview another Mando explains that the Darksaber is a Unique saber made a Thousand years ago by the First Mando Jedi, Tar Vizsla, after his death the Saber was kept in Viszla's tomb in the temple but a member of Clan Vizsla stole it and used it as a symbol of Power from then on.  That is all at this point but I have no doubt it is a seed for a further story down the line.  But, really you can blame Lucas.  Originally it was going to be an ancient Vibro-Sword but Lucas disliked idea another weapon stopping a lightsaber but it was too late to completely redo the animations.  So the Darksaber was born.

But it is conceived by people here. I've always been very science minded. Even as a child, I remember trying to work out the physics of how a lightsaber blade was produced. As my understanding of science in both the real and sci-fi realms expanded, the concept became more and more tangible. At some point certain elements overlap. Light is light, regardless of what time or galaxy you live in. I can't explain how a smart phone touch screen works or how a microprocessor turns a bunch of ones and zeros into an elaborate image, but I don't need to because I have seen the results with my own eyes. I don't question the explanation of how it works, because I've seen it work. Show me a light blade shaped like a short sword, and will forever henceforth love the Dark Saber.

Case in point: the T-1000. How does a blob of "mimetic poly-alloy" store processing information, generate surface color, or maintain shape? NTM how could it have been sent back in time if living tissue was needed to cover the machine and "nothing non-living can be sent back"? Principles that were established in the first movie. But these aren't the questions of a nit-picking 35yo. These were the questions of the 10yo when he first saw the movie in 1991. It's still one of my favorite movies. The T-1000 was a great villain and the visual effects kicked serious ass, but the holes diminished the effect for me. The T-X addressed some of the holes, but not all (plus was much easier on the eyes Grin). But then T3 opened up more holes: how does a computer virus control vehicles that don't have auto-pilot? Undecided

I apologize if I come across as a net troll. But I'm truly seeking other view points and explanations to help me understand and enjoy the established stories more. Introducing a complex and unique concepts, and then saying "it just does....." comes off as terrible story telling to me. As if the writers wanted new and exciting but couldn't be bothered to iron out details. I have a mind to tear the Force a new one in my book. But any concept I can't explain won't be used.

One of the aspects of R1 that many including myself have been enjoying is the plot point that the DS1 weakness was an engineered sabotage. Plus, the Rebels were told where it was and how to hit it. If they actually had to "analyze" the specs to pinpoint the pin-prick location on a moon sized station, I'm fairly certain this is how the story would have ended...

"We got it..."

No, i understand.  You have what I have heard called "Burden of Knowledge" in connection with Entertainment.  Meaning, you know so much about a subject that when entertainment utilizes and gets things wrong or they are ill-explained, it can hamper your enjoyment.  Like a doctor watching ER or in your case Science.  I'm not a science person, in terms of advanced sciences, so things like Star Ships  and Lightsabers never were a mystery for me to unlock.. if the story said they existed...then they existed.  In fact when an episode of Star Trek would run off into the technical I got bored very quickly.  In all seriousness I am not really a Sci-Fi nut.  I like Sci-Fi things to be sure but they are not where my interest lie fully.  I much prefer Fantasy, if not for the Force, Jedi and Sith etc.  Star Wars would be just another thing I watch once in a while.  Star Trek (TNG mostly) garnered my interest because of the characters, I didn't need to know how the Enterprise worked to fully enjoy it.   Sorry, Rambling.  Back to why I understand.  My area is History and Combat.  Like you as I child I was inquisitive, but about fighting and history.  Like when Braveheart came out, I went to the library and researched William Wallace....the film wasn't even close, and it peppered my view of the film for a while.  Same with fighting in films mainly swordsmanship (European)....so much bullsnip it aggravates me.  the unnecessary spins and flourishes..ugh.   It's why the Duel between Ankain and Obi-Wan in Ep.III fell so short in my eyes.  Long Story short, I had to get past that Burden of Knowledge.  I still get aggravated at those things but they no longer keep me from liking the whole.   Basically, they way I see it.  I don't need to know HOW the Death Star works...I just need to know it does.  Just like I said, my opinion.   

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2151 on: January 18, 2017, 08:40:11 PM »

Yes, In TCW all Pre Vizsla said was the Mando's took it from the Temple during the Old Republic.  In the next Episode of REBELS Kanan is training Sabine how to use the Darksaber to take over Clan Vizsla.  In the preview another Mando explains that the Darksaber is a Unique saber made a Thousand years ago by the First Mando Jedi, Tar Vizsla, after his death the Saber was kept in Viszla's tomb in the temple but a member of Clan Vizsla stole it and used it as a symbol of Power from then on.  That is all at this point but I have no doubt it is a seed for a further story down the line.  But, really you can blame Lucas.  Originally it was going to be an ancient Vibro-Sword but Lucas disliked idea another weapon stopping a lightsaber but it was too late to completely redo the animations.  So the Darksaber was born.

Must have been during a time when Jedi still kept in touch with the family. Otherwise, how would anyone from clan Vizsla even know of its existence?

No, i understand.  You have what I have heard called "Burden of Knowledge" in connection with Entertainment.  Meaning, you know so much about a subject that when entertainment utilizes and gets things wrong or they are ill-explained, it can hamper your enjoyment.  Like a doctor watching ER or in your case Science.  I'm not a science person, in terms of advanced sciences, so things like Star Ships  and Lightsabers never were a mystery for me to unlock.. if the story said they existed...then they existed.  In fact when an episode of Star Trek would run off into the technical I got bored very quickly.  In all seriousness I am not really a Sci-Fi nut.  I like Sci-Fi things to be sure but they are not where my interest lie fully.  I much prefer Fantasy, if not for the Force, Jedi and Sith etc.  Star Wars would be just another thing I watch once in a while.  Star Trek (TNG mostly) garnered my interest because of the characters, I didn't need to know how the Enterprise worked to fully enjoy it.   Sorry, Rambling.  Back to why I understand.  My area is History and Combat.  Like you as I child I was inquisitive, but about fighting and history.  Like when Braveheart came out, I went to the library and researched William Wallace....the film wasn't even close, and it peppered my view of the film for a while.  Same with fighting in films mainly swordsmanship (European)....so much bullsnip it aggravates me.  the unnecessary spins and flourishes..ugh.   It's why the Duel between Ankain and Obi-Wan in Ep.III fell so short in my eyes.  Long Story short, I had to get past that Burden of Knowledge.  I still get aggravated at those things but they no longer keep me from liking the whole.   Basically, they way I see it.  I don't need to know HOW the Death Star works...I just need to know it does.  Just like I said, my opinion.   
Thanks, I knew there was an name for my affliction. I'm kind of the opposite when it comes to fantasy, though. Strange things can just be. I got done watching the Hobbit trilogy with my mother. She had the question why Smaug was so preoccupied with gold. I told her, he's a dragon. As far as I've always known, dragons just have a lust for gold in their mythical DNA. I also viewed it as a satire on greed; that trouble always surrounds excessive treasure, or more colloquially "Mo' money, mo' problems." Grin

Ever pay attention in the Duel of the Fates as to how many times Obi Wan spins his saber? It was a little ridiculous.
Or when Maul challenged for the right to rule Clan Vizsla? There was a spot in which Pre was left wide open, and even taking his time (within reason) Maul should have been able to easily end it, but instead retreats. I saw that and was like "ARE YOU KIDDING! I could have killed him 3 times in that window."

Or better yet, in any generic brawl, how the hero is throwing knockout hits left and right, and never once shakes his hand in pain. <hurl>

Was Cad Bane a Chiss?

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2152 on: January 18, 2017, 09:31:23 PM »

Must have been during a time when Jedi still kept in touch with the family. Otherwise, how would anyone from clan Vizsla even know of its existence?
Thanks, I knew there was an name for my affliction. I'm kind of the opposite when it comes to fantasy, though. Strange things can just be. I got done watching the Hobbit trilogy with my mother. She had the question why Smaug was so preoccupied with gold. I told her, he's a dragon. As far as I've always known, dragons just have a lust for gold in their mythical DNA. I also viewed it as a satire on greed; that trouble always surrounds excessive treasure, or more colloquially "Mo' money, mo' problems." Grin

Ever pay attention in the Duel of the Fates as to how many times Obi Wan spins his saber? It was a little ridiculous.
Or when Maul challenged for the right to rule Clan Vizsla? There was a spot in which Pre was left wide open, and even taking his time (within reason) Maul should have been able to easily end it, but instead retreats. I saw that and was like "ARE YOU KIDDING! I could have killed him 3 times in that window."

Or better yet, in any generic brawl, how the hero is throwing knockout hits left and right, and never once shakes his hand in pain. <hurl>

Was Cad Bane a Chiss?

Not unheard of, Dooku left the order to take his ancestral seat as Count of Serrano, so he knew of his family. 

Cad Bane was a Duros.  Their skin ranged from blue to green.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Duros

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2153 on: January 18, 2017, 09:44:05 PM »

Not unheard of, Dooku left the order to take his ancestral seat as Count of Serrano, so he knew of his family. 

Cad Bane was a Duros.  Their skin ranged from blue to green.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Duros

Derp. Was not taking into account that his family would know that he was a Jedi, and that they merely wanted his saber after his death, and not necessarily because of its unique features.

Was just curious. Can't recall if any visual basis had been established in the DC for Chiss eyes beyond Thrawn in SWR.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2154 on: January 18, 2017, 09:51:03 PM »

Derp. Was not taking into account that his family would know that he was a Jedi, and that they merely wanted his saber after his death, and not necessarily because of its unique features.

Was just curious. Can't recall if any visual basis had been established in the DC for Chiss eyes beyond Thrawn in SWR.

As far as Canon Thrawn is the only Chiss so far....but I imagine the Thrawn novel will shed more light on the species within canon.  Since Zahn is writing it I don't think there will be a huge difference.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2155 on: January 18, 2017, 10:05:23 PM »

As far as Canon Thrawn is the only Chiss so far....but I imagine the Thrawn novel will shed more light on the species within canon.  Since Zahn is writing it I don't think there will be a huge difference.
From what I glimpsed on SWR, the only noticeable difference was the addition of irises and pupils.

Sig by For Tyeth

Benji
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 163

« Reply #2156 on: January 19, 2017, 03:14:14 PM »

So, if this is really a thing... then why wasn't it included in the deleted/extended scenes on the blu-ray?

http://www.chipchick.com/2017/01/chewbacca-arm-ripping-deleted-scene-force-awakens.html

I have but four enemies: Envy, Lust, Greed and Lethargy...

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2157 on: January 19, 2017, 04:21:25 PM »

So, if this is really a thing... then why wasn't it included in the deleted/extended scenes on the blu-ray?

http://www.chipchick.com/2017/01/chewbacca-arm-ripping-deleted-scene-force-awakens.html

Probably because (A) it was too graphic and would have bumped the rating to R, and therefore cut out better than half the market for ticket sales. (Although I would love to see an R-rated Star Wars film. I think it would do them some good to leave the kids' table every now and then.) And (B) it just would have been one more obvious throwback to ANH, only instead of just talking about it, he actually does it.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2158 on: January 25, 2017, 02:25:12 PM »

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #2159 on: January 26, 2017, 02:06:41 AM »

Probably because (A) it was too graphic and would have bumped the rating to R,

You actually think so? No blood or gore or anything.

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: