Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 927384 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #2640 on: July 28, 2018, 05:16:14 PM »

Interestingly, James Luceno, who wrote Tarkin, wrote some of the characters from Darth Plagueis into Tarkin, giving Darth Plagueis a back door into canon... from a certain point of view.

Plagueis, much like Bane, was always canon...its just the details that are not

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #2641 on: July 28, 2018, 05:50:00 PM »

I was referring to the book being backdoored into canon, due to the inclusion of characters from it in Tarkin.  Luceno has written some really good SW stuff, which is why I think he's gotten away with the change.

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2642 on: July 28, 2018, 03:49:34 PM »

I was referring to the book being backdoored into canon, due to the inclusion of characters from it in Tarkin.  Luceno has written some really good SW stuff, which is why I think he's gotten away with the change.

I don't think it works that way, I wish it did.  Thrawn is in Rebels but that doesn't automatically make Mara Jade canon...sadly

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #2643 on: July 29, 2018, 01:49:40 AM »

I don't think it works that way, I wish it did.  Thrawn is in Rebels but that doesn't automatically make Mara Jade canon...sadly

Wish it did too, I hate those instances where the decanonization ended up removing material that supported Star Wars and made it better, especially if they aren't going to replace it with something else but just leave it a gaping hole.

On a side note, is there an instance where they actually made an announcement or something similar that brought EU directly into the New Canon totally intact? For example, "Walt Disney company announces that Darth Plagueis novel made Canon in it's entirety" or something like that? As far as I know they brought major items (like the OT) in, then decided to just start moving only forward with stories from there, but I'm curious if after the initial announcement of New Canon that anything ever got added.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

ed_ification
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -385

Darth Cronfios

« Reply #2644 on: July 29, 2018, 04:23:42 AM »

Yes, but the character included is REALLY central to Darth Plagueis, and plays a VERY similar role within Tarkin.

Thrawn, meanwhile got retconned by Zahn (and a second book just came out), so while not wholly the same, at least the same author who created him is still working with the character and we get similar tales.

There could still be room for Mara in the interstitial years between RotJ and TFA - we still don't know who was at Luke's Academy prior to its destruction.  Mara might also show up as one of the aforementioned (but as yet unseen) Knights of Ren...

Sabers:
MR Vader - ANH
MR Vader - ESB
Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red - "Belligerence"
Standard Issue Grab Bag - Guardian Blue - "Bastion"
2 Shock LEs - Violet - "Perseverance" and "Integrity"
Archon - "Insight"
Dark Initiate - "Harbinger"

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2645 on: July 29, 2018, 08:42:11 PM »

Wish it did too, I hate those instances where the decanonization ended up removing material that supported Star Wars and made it better, especially if they aren't going to replace it with something else but just leave it a gaping hole.

On a side note, is there an instance where they actually made an announcement or something similar that brought EU directly into the New Canon totally intact? For example, "Walt Disney company announces that Darth Plagueis novel made Canon in it's entirety" or something like that? As far as I know they brought major items (like the OT) in, then decided to just start moving only forward with stories from there, but I'm curious if after the initial announcement of New Canon that anything ever got added.

No announcements per se but little hints here and there...mostly from Rebels and The Clone Wars.  Malchor 5, mentioning the war between the Jedi and the Mandolorians, Pre Vizla mentioning the dark Saber was taken from the temple during the fall of the old republic (reference to Shae Visla helping Darth Malgus sack the temple in the Old Republic Cinematic Betrayal).   While they were adamant they wanted to make their own Eu they did say some thing would intertwine..."Truth in Legends" is their line on that.

Yes, but the character included is REALLY central to Darth Plagueis, and plays a VERY similar role within Tarkin.

Thrawn, meanwhile got retconned by Zahn (and a second book just came out), so while not wholly the same, at least the same author who created him is still working with the character and we get similar tales.

There could still be room for Mara in the interstitial years between RotJ and TFA - we still don't know who was at Luke's Academy prior to its destruction.  Mara might also show up as one of the aforementioned (but as yet unseen) Knights of Ren...

The difference is Thrawn is still Thrawn.  He still acts like Thrawn, speaks like Thrawn and (other than the eyes) looks like Thrawn.  He has just been placed in a different situation and given a backstory.  Second book is great btw.

But Mara Jade...well there really isn't any way to bring her in.  It would be just a character named Mara Jade...which would not go over well with the already pissed fan base. 

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2646 on: July 30, 2018, 02:18:23 PM »

Woah.... I can't describe the look of utter glee on my face after watching that. Simply put, EPIC!

Just finished Darth Plagueis, a very well put together SW novel. Didn't realize going into it how infused with dark side characterization it would be, so much information about the dark side and the behind the scenes workings of the Sith pulling from the Force. I had to remind myself multiple times while reading that it wasn't canon, and every time I did I frowned a little. It just feels canon and such a shame that we got a great look at Plaugeis only to have it wrenched away to decanonization. Would love to see Plaugueis on the big screen somehow.
Welcome to the League of Disappointed SW Fans.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2647 on: July 30, 2018, 03:04:34 PM »

There are even shirts....

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #2648 on: July 30, 2018, 03:07:14 PM »

We meet on Saturday evenings to plot the reacquisition of the SW franchise from the Rat.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2649 on: July 30, 2018, 04:17:32 PM »

There are even shirts....
Really?

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #2650 on: July 30, 2018, 05:10:27 PM »

No announcements per se but little hints here and there...mostly from Rebels and The Clone Wars.  Malchor 5, mentioning the war between the Jedi and the Mandolorians, Pre Vizla mentioning the dark Saber was taken from the temple during the fall of the old republic (reference to Shae Visla helping Darth Malgus sack the temple in the Old Republic Cinematic Betrayal).   While they were adamant they wanted to make their own Eu they did say some thing would intertwine..."Truth in Legends" is their line on that.

Interesting, yeah it's such a strange scenario to have well established stories but then to throw them away and (seemingly) have no plans to immediately rewrite and reintroduce them. Star Wars is a really odd category of fandom because of Canon issues. I don't think there's anything else out there quite like it.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #2651 on: July 30, 2018, 05:48:14 PM »

Really?

https://crypto.fashion/products/comic-artist-pro-secrets-the-fandom-menace

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #2652 on: July 30, 2018, 06:17:20 PM »

Now that's witty, I like.

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #2653 on: August 16, 2018, 07:49:04 PM »

that honestly should be a legit thing

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2654 on: August 16, 2018, 07:56:16 PM »

that honestly should be a legit thing
According to Tepes, it is.

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: