Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 938126 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3210 on: May 31, 2019, 05:12:17 PM »

Which of course is completely WRONG. Energy sources, particularly electricity, are negative in polarity. The field would have to also be negative in order be effective. Last I checked same repels same. So 1) how can blades attract to one another, and 2) how the hell do combatants get them apart again? Considering this comes from the same idiot writer that also gave them go-go Gadget Copter ability, I'm not surprised that it makes no sense.
Be Honest..is even  10% of the science in Star Wars accurate?  As far as my limited knowledge of science is aware, a lightsaber as is presented in Star Wars is 100% impossible.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3211 on: May 31, 2019, 05:29:10 PM »

Be Honest..is even  10% of the science in Star Wars accurate?  As far as my limited knowledge of science is aware, a lightsaber as is presented in Star Wars is 100% impossible.
I'm not as interested in accuracy, but an attempt at precision would be appreciated. But this is the crap that comes from making kids' shows canon. "Who cares if it makes sense as long as it gets ratings."

If blades "attracted to each other" then blades would lock every instant they contacted.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3212 on: June 04, 2019, 06:19:29 PM »

The last post was removed, please keep discussions with each thread rate G since we do have younglings and young padawans in the forum

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 464

We are what they grow beyond

« Reply #3213 on: June 05, 2019, 05:37:57 AM »

I'm not as interested in accuracy, but an attempt at precision would be appreciated. But this is the crap that comes from making kids' shows canon. "Who cares if it makes sense as long as it gets ratings."

If blades "attracted to each other" then blades would lock every instant they contacted.

I'd say it depends on the level of attraction. Two magnets of limited strengh will stick to each other but you can still easily make them slide on each other and disconnect them with a little pressure while other more powerful ones can prove quite tricky to separate.
What I've seen so far is that lightsabers don't seem to smoothly slide against each other but have a tendency to stick a bit (something that doesn't usually happen when using the lightsaber on most other elements)

My guess is that plasma would be a positive charge (probably quite strong). You'd need a strong magnetic field to contain it. Then I suppose it's a question of how these magnetic fields would interact with each other.

Obviously, I'm not expecting any real accuracy from a sci-fi universe. I'm probably just too much of a science nerd and want to imagine how it might work.

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, AB with windows
- Dominix LE V4, Stunt, SRD with windows
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Dominix V4, Stunt, BR with windows
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3214 on: June 05, 2019, 08:16:31 AM »

The last post was removed, please keep discussions with each thread rate G since we do have younglings and young padawans in the forum
Actually per forum guidelines, rating is PG-13.

I'd say it depends on the level of attraction. Two magnets of limited strengh will stick to each other but you can still easily make them slide on each other and disconnect them with a little pressure while other more powerful ones can prove quite tricky to separate.
What I've seen so far is that lightsabers don't seem to smoothly slide against each other but have a tendency to stick a bit (something that doesn't usually happen when using the lightsaber on most other elements)

My guess is that plasma would be a positive charge (probably quite strong). You'd need a strong magnetic field to contain it. Then I suppose it's a question of how these magnetic fields would interact with each other.

Obviously, I'm not expecting any real accuracy from a sci-fi universe. I'm probably just too much of a science nerd and want to imagine how it might work.
That kinda makes a little more sense. Like blades having mass due to the physical nature of plasma, but not so much that the average person would notice.

Lightsaber blades are all based on the same technology, so why would they be polar opposites enough to attract? It makes no sense. And don't give me crap about light and dark sides when it comes to crystals because (even going off the current BS crystal canon) 1) Vader's first saber was a Jedi blade, so therefore it should have repelled against all the sabers he fought in the temple as well as against Obi Wan's. 2) General Grievous' sabers were also not "bled" <barf> but were also used against a LS blade which would have resulted in repelling. Also, in order for the containment field to contain a positively charged plasma beam, it would have to have an equal positive charge in order to keep from cancelling out. And because the fields are all positive, clashing blades would still repel due to like polarity.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #3215 on: June 05, 2019, 04:35:59 PM »

I always miss stuff

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3216 on: June 05, 2019, 10:01:38 AM »

I always miss stuff
It was both uninteresting, unimportant, plus broke rules.

Sig by For Tyeth

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3217 on: June 05, 2019, 05:05:15 PM »

What Logos said

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

« Reply #3218 on: June 06, 2019, 05:57:44 AM »

I always miss stuff

I missed it as well but figured it was all of the above

That kinda makes a little more sense. Like blades having mass due to the physical nature of plasma, but not so much that the average person would notice.

Lightsaber blades are all based on the same technology, so why would they be polar opposites enough to attract? It makes no sense. And don't give me crap about light and dark sides when it comes to crystals because (even going off the current BS crystal canon) 1) Vader's first saber was a Jedi blade, so therefore it should have repelled against all the sabers he fought in the temple as well as against Obi Wan's. 2) General Grievous' sabers were also not "bled" <barf> but were also used against a LS blade which would have resulted in repelling. Also, in order for the containment field to contain a positively charged plasma beam, it would have to have an equal positive charge in order to keep from cancelling out. And because the fields are all positive, clashing blades would still repel due to like polarity.

I really don't believe there is any such difference between lightside and darkside blades. For me they're all the same really as far as their physical properties.

Like what they're researching for nuclear fusion reactors, I guess they use a magnetic field for plasma confinement. I really don't know enough about the science in magnetic fields to figure out how one of these made for the purpose of confinement would affect the area outside of the confinement zone. Maybe it could act like a tesla coil where the magnetic field is stronger inside the coil than it is outside. From what I just looked up it seem that two tesla coils of same power placed side by side would either attract each other is their current flows in the same direction or repel if it flows in opposide direction. My logical conclusion would be that, since there doesn't seem to be any difference between LS or DS blades, then the magnetic fields would be like the two tesla coils with current going the same direction.
Therefore, there would be a force of attraction between the two blades that would be weaker than the one containing the plasma within each blades.
WOW, this almost makes sense  Shocked
I think I've done enough thinking for now as I'm only half-way through my first coffee of the morning  Wink

Sabers Owned
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, SRD with AB FoC, windows and Green-Illuminated A/V Switch
- Aeon V4, LITE sound, GB with AS FoC, windows and Non-Illuminated Silver A/V Switch
- Bellicose, LITE sound, AS with AB FoC, Black blade holder, Bronze button, Long grooves pommel and White-Illuminated A/V Switch

BionicDance
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« Reply #3219 on: June 06, 2019, 06:01:54 AM »

If it broke the rules, chances are good that it was very interesting.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3220 on: June 06, 2019, 01:25:14 PM »

I really don't believe there is any such difference between lightside and darkside blades. For me they're all the same really as far as their physical properties.

Like what they're researching for nuclear fusion reactors, I guess they use a magnetic field for plasma confinement. I really don't know enough about the science in magnetic fields to figure out how one of these made for the purpose of confinement would affect the area outside of the confinement zone. Maybe it could act like a tesla coil where the magnetic field is stronger inside the coil than it is outside.
From my experience in particle physics, magnetism, radiation, and electrical current is very scary shell. All three can have devastating effects on their environments.

From what I just looked up it seem that two tesla coils of same power placed side by side would either attract each other is their current flows in the same direction or repel if it flows in opposite direction. My logical conclusion would be that, since there doesn't seem to be any difference between LS or DS blades, then the magnetic fields would be like the two tesla coils with current going the same direction.
Therefore, there would be a force of attraction between the two blades that would be weaker than the one containing the plasma within each blades.
WOW, this almost makes sense  Shocked
I think I've done enough thinking for now as I'm only half-way through my first coffee of the morning  Wink
Please post the link to the article you refer to. From my understanding of EMF, if current is equally flowing in the same direction, then the resulting magnetic forces would have the same polarity. You can't get differing results from producing identical circumstances. Now if you reversed current in one, then it should produce an inverted EMF that would attract to the other coil. Although Tesla coils are a particular type of funny, but should be similar to the EM effect of induction...like a mag-lev. Propulsion is achieved through rapid push/pull by changing the current flow of the magnets.

If it broke the rules, chances are good that it was very interesting.
For those that know me best, you know I'm usually all for skirting the edge rules. Trust me when I say it was nothing more than incoherent, possibly drunk, rambling.

Sig by For Tyeth

CruentoNox
Knight Commander

« Reply #3221 on: June 06, 2019, 02:00:04 PM »

Please post the link to the article you refer to.

You probably know more than I do but here is the quick reasearch I based my assumption upon:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/wirfor.html

https://techtv.mit.edu/videos/813

Sabers Owned

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3222 on: June 06, 2019, 04:29:59 PM »

You probably know more than I do but here is the quick reasearch I based my assumption upon:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/wirfor.html

https://techtv.mit.edu/videos/813

Hmmm. The MIT vid seems counter-intuitive, but opposing sabers are neither in series nor parallel. They would effectively be "closed circuit" so to speak. The diagram however looks like it's supporting what I was saying. The force vectors (arrows) show what direction the magnetic forces are acting. In this case they are pushing against each other.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #3223 on: June 07, 2019, 01:31:52 AM »

Ok I went back and looked at the scenes and All Kanan said was that the blades were drawn to each other...never said why

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3224 on: June 07, 2019, 01:11:44 PM »

Ok I went back and looked at the scenes and All Kanan said was that the blades were drawn to each other...never said why
I somehow get the vibe that you're tiring of this discussion. Roll Eyes Wink

"Drawn to each"? This I suppose could go with the current direction of crystal canon. I will spare you all my usual rants about bad writing.

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: