Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 927331 times)
PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #3435 on: November 07, 2019, 09:11:09 PM »

Alright im gonna throw my hat into the ring and chase the blasted horse into the spirit realm.

ASSUMING that Hoth's snow is drift and blowing and NOT precipitation then Hoth would be classified as a cold desert, HOWEVER; this gets into the hairy topic of scientific classifications and why they're secretly stupid. EXTENDED COMPARISON INCOMING:

This can be similarly viewed in the whole Pluto debate, where since it has not cleared its' stellar neighborhood of debris, it is not a planet DESPITE the fact that it has a large body orbiting the sun having achieved hydrostatic equilibrium thus achieving only 2 of the 3 criteria to be considered a planet. Problem is the definition and the way of classifying objects that we use. By the original Greek definition of "planet" (to continue the comparison) the Sun, Moon, Asteroids, and Distant Galaxies would all be considered "planets" which by modern standards sounds bonkers, but the definition has changed. Problem objects such as Pluto, Eris, Ceres, and Charon (to name a few) exist in a limbo state of our definitions. For instance, if we classify Pluto as a planet, then where's the line? Minor planetary bodies then would have to be included in the definition meaning we'd have dozens more planets to count - you cant even say to limit it by size since Pluto isnt even the largest minor planet! (Hi, Eris.) Then there's objects like Charon which fudge the line more because even though it "orbits" Pluto, its mass is so similar they should be reclassified as a binary object, as both orbit around a point rather than around the other, so if Pluto and Eris are planets, what about Charon?

For a similar argument there's also the time honored question "Is a tomato a fruit?" as currently the scientific consensus is "maybe" and the legal consensus is "no" because it was easier to tax a vegetable.

Of course the mental image of a desert is a dry, hot, inhospitable wasteland. However, by scientific definitions, places such as Antarctica are also included in the "desert" category. It comes from the fact that humans like to put things in neat little boxes.

The universe, sadly, abhors boxes.

HOTH IS A DESERT AND PLUTO ISNT A PLANET FITE ME

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3436 on: November 07, 2019, 09:20:08 PM »

The universe, sadly, abhors boxes.
DUH! Spheres are where it's at. Otherwise the earth would in fact have 6 flat sides.

Sure. It's like saying I'm not white because I go tanning. Tongue

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3437 on: November 07, 2019, 09:30:37 PM »

I agree. Also, isn't Charon the one that looks like a Death Star? Or am I confusing it with another celestial body?

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3438 on: November 07, 2019, 09:51:07 PM »

I agree. Also, isn't Charon the one that looks like a Death Star? Or am I confusing it with another celestial body?
No, Charon is the boatman.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #3439 on: November 07, 2019, 09:56:17 PM »

You're thinking of Mimas, moon of Saturn.

Sure. It's like saying I'm not white because I go tanning. Tongue

Actually, it's kind of the opposite. Just because Hoth doesnt look like a Desert doesnt mean it isnt one. In the same vein just because you dont look white...

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3440 on: November 07, 2019, 09:59:31 PM »

Then it's like saying a square isn't a parallelogram.

Sig by For Tyeth

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3441 on: November 07, 2019, 11:27:19 PM »

I just want a mod to go edit my post and put in the square bracket I dropped.  It looks like one big Logos quote, and while I DID quote him, some of that was my own thoughts.

Gaaaah, I hate making stupid mistakes like that!  Time to self-flagellate!

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3442 on: November 08, 2019, 01:20:09 AM »

No, Charon is the boatman.

I don't consider him as a celestial body. And besides, he is mistaken for Chiron more than the Death Star.

You're thinking of Mimas, moon of Saturn.

Ah.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3443 on: November 08, 2019, 02:00:50 PM »

I just want a mod to go edit my post and put in the square bracket I dropped.  It looks like one big Logos quote, and while I DID quote him, some of that was my own thoughts.

Gaaaah, I hate making stupid mistakes like that!  Time to self-flagellate!
Don't sweat it. It happens. Also thanks for the stimulating debate. It is unlikely that either of us will convince the other, so agreements of dispute and all. I don't know about you, but I'm having fun. Grin

I don't consider him as a celestial body. And besides, he is mistaken for Chiron more than the Death Star.
I consider it a joke. Tongue

My first exposure to both names was in the game R-Type Final. Chiron was a transforming ship and Charon was in the 'Hell' series: Charon, Cerberus, and Hades. Then I found out Charon was the boatman playing God of War - Chains of Olympus. And still later Charon was the name of the corrupt industrial titan in Red vs. Blue.

Also, for those that don't know, Chiron was a centaur half-brother of Zeus.

Sig by For Tyeth

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3444 on: November 08, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3445 on: November 08, 2019, 03:32:33 PM »

Don't sweat it. It happens.

It's just one of those things that bugs me, because if I'd bothered to use PREVIEW, I'd have caught that, and not published the mistake.  The whole idea of having the original quote look different from the new comments is to make things easier to understand, and because I overlooked something super simple, that added clarity was lost.  Sad 

Also thanks for the stimulating debate. It is unlikely that either of us will convince the other, so agreements of dispute and all. I don't know about you, but I'm having fun. Grin

If I weren't having fun, I wouldn't have continued the discussion, either, because let's face it-- the underlying issue (whether or not something could or should be called a desert) REALLY DOESN'T MATTER.  After a while, though, I realized that the discussion had gone on long enough that the fun (for me) was draining away, so I decided to step away.  However, my ego had gotten involved enough that I couldn't just stop responding; I had to ADVERTISE that I was going to stop responding, because-- GASP-- I couldn't just let it drop and let people think I had lost so easily!

So, I hereby state, openly and to the public, that Darth Logos had some decent arguments.  I just got tired of this particular discussion.  Points to Logos for keeping the discussion civil and properly limited to the topic under discussion!

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3446 on: November 08, 2019, 04:49:23 PM »

It's just one of those things that bugs me, because if I'd bothered to use PREVIEW, I'd have caught that, and not published the mistake.  The whole idea of having the original quote look different from the new comments is to make things easier to understand, and because I overlooked something super simple, that added clarity was lost.  Sad 
Why do you think I have such a throng waiting to call me out for minor spelling/grammatical errors? Crap happens.

If I weren't having fun, I wouldn't have continued the discussion, either, because let's face it-- the underlying issue (whether or not something could or should be called a desert) REALLY DOESN'T MATTER.  After a while, though, I realized that the discussion had gone on long enough that the fun (for me) was draining away, so I decided to step away.  However, my ego had gotten involved enough that I couldn't just stop responding; I had to ADVERTISE that I was going to stop responding, because-- GASP-- I couldn't just let it drop and let people think I had lost so easily!
Of course it doesn't matter, because all the scenes filmed that were being discussed were filmed on THIS planet. It would be pretty damn hard for any indigenous species to exist if there were no plants at the bottom of the food chain, regardless of Tundra or desert.

I will concede that I believe Tundra is merely a name of greater specification in the hierarchy of regional classification; similar to what I said previously about squares and parallelograms.

Quadrilateral - four sides
Rhombus - 4 equal length sides
Parallelogram - 2 pairs of parallel sides
Rectangle - 4 right angles
Square - 4 equal length sides all at right angles

A square has the most specifically defined parameters of any quadrilateral, but still meets the classification requisites of its predecessors.

(I know there are more in the quadrilateral hierarchy, but I didn't need to include that a square is also a kite and diamond)

So, I hereby state, openly and to the public, that Darth Logos had some decent arguments.  I just got tired of this particular discussion.  Points to Logos for keeping the discussion civil and properly limited to the topic under discussion!
Well argued. Points to you as well.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3447 on: November 13, 2019, 05:44:08 PM »

Ok...In the Conan: Exiles game there are legendary weapons you can find...one is called Jedias' Greatsaber.  Its a two handed sword that will make glowing arcs when swung....but this is its description in the game......

"This sword once belonged to the great troubadour, Jedias Manbaebe, who travelled the known kingdoms telling great sagas about a group of monks who fought evil knights a long time ago in a land far, far away.

During his shows, he would act out the battles using this sword, causing gasps from the crowd as he swung its glowing length back and forth as it hummed in the night.

Unfortunately, as the legend of his sword grew, two bandits (Dis and Knee) took an interest. They ambushed him one day, and took his sword, but were disgusted to discover that the sword was just an ordinary sword smeared with glowing paste and with a concealed noisemaker.

They stabbed Jedias with his own sword and left him to rot."

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3448 on: November 13, 2019, 05:52:05 PM »

Yeah, that sounds about right.

And seriously, His last name is "Man Baby"?

Sig by For Tyeth

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3449 on: November 14, 2019, 02:59:51 AM »

Yeah, that sounds about right.

And seriously, His last name is "Man Baby"?

Don't forget about the two bandits "Disney".

Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: