Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 927378 times)
Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3495 on: February 14, 2020, 05:10:38 PM »

I don't remember that line. Have to watch again.

I just watched all 3 again this week. To me, the "story telling" is what screamed MONEY GRAB the loudest. It came across as a couple of fan-boys that "loved" the originals and loaded 80% of a feminazi producer's girl-power fanfic with remade scenes and references. The rest was colloquial contrivances and shark jumps.

He said it when Rey and Dime store Caedus were kissing.

That is the main thing for me.  People talk a lot about not letting the fans dictate the course of a franchise, which to some extant I agree.  But that is exactly what happened here.  These "fans" just happened to be big shot directors and a Producer who now could exert more creative control.  They put Their vision into place while lambasting other fans.   

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3496 on: February 14, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »

He said it when Rey and Dime store Caedus were kissing.
Oh yeah. That.

That is the main thing for me.  People talk a lot about not letting the fans dictate the course of a franchise, which to some extant I agree.  But that is exactly what happened here.  These "fans" just happened to be big shot directors and a Producer who now could exert more creative control.  They put Their vision into place while lambasting other fans.   
Exactly. I've also decided to give SWR a fair runthrough. I've just made it through them signing up Fenn Rau (or rescuing Iron Squadron). Either or, this series has some serious problems in its understanding of how things work (or should work). But I have to admit that it has produced some exceptionally well done scenes, that actually elicited old "holy $#!%, I felt something" feelings that I used to get from SW. I never got that from the sequels......with one exception: the "death" of Kylo Ren (not to be confused with the death of Ben Solo).

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #3497 on: February 14, 2020, 05:34:25 PM »

.Exactly. I've also decided to give SWR a fair runthrough. I've just made it through them signing up Fenn Rau (or rescuing Iron Squadron). Either or, this series has some serious problems in its understanding of how things work (or should work). But I have to admit that it has produced some exceptionally well done scenes, that actually elicited old "holy $#!%, I felt something" feelings that I used to get from SW. I never got that from the sequels......with one exception: the "death" of Kylo Ren (not to be confused with the death of Ben Solo).

Rebels was better (IMO) once Thrawn came in and they Focused more on The Force.  But its handling of Vader was what I really liked.

with one exception: the "death" of Kylo Ren (not to be confused with the death of Ben Solo).

Still haven't seen it so I'm guess when he switches sides...

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #3498 on: February 14, 2020, 05:35:49 PM »

Yes, very well-done scene

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3499 on: February 14, 2020, 08:30:43 PM »

Rebels was better (IMO) once Thrawn came in and they Focused more on The Force.  But its handling of Vader was what I really liked.
For me it's been more of a roller coaster. I hate the vehicle designs of this series, they're boring. I liked the Grand Inq as a character just hated his weapon. Liked when they brought in Tarkin, the Empire started losing incompetence, and things started getting real. Loved Ezra's brush with the Dark Side. It turns my stomach with how they continually forget that TIEs have no life support. I have thoroughly loved how they have portrayed Vader; how they've described his presence. Loved seeing Rex again. Loved the idea of clones living to old age, and reaching senility. Hated the intro of more Inqs. Hated the intro sequence of S2. Hated the B-Wing proto. Loved the design of the Sith temple. #@%&ING HATED the Go-Go-Gadget-Copter saber bull$#!%. Loved the dynamic between Ahsoka and Vader. Liked that Maul came back. Hated how they ruined holocrons. Loved Maul's motive for linking the holocrons, though. Love how Maul regards Ezra as his apprentice. LOVED Ezra taking instruction from the Sith holocron; becoming a bit "devil may care". Hate Cham Syndulla. I hated that they messed up the environment of Ryloth. I dug the Enemy Mine arc between Kallus and Zeb. Digging that Thrawn was retconned with very few actual changes, but still hate the new eyes. (He'd have been so much more intimidatingly badass with the original Chiss eyes.) {**Thought for later.} I'm actually digging Bendu, but hating that they retconned the name. And after watching the History of the Mandos, I'm actually anxious to see how the rest of this plays out.

Ish. I liked that, for the most part, he WAS dying, but his foe had enough compassion for him to heal his wounds. I actually thought it was a well done scene. I also caught that his face was healed as well.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3500 on: February 14, 2020, 10:08:04 PM »

Saw this yesterday as well. Hilarious, but still missed so many opportunities. I liked that I wasn't the only one who picked up that Finn is next to useless except for whooping and needlessly screaming at people who can't hear him.

My favorite part is when Mace is like "Get him" and they all start beating him with their sabers. Perfect throwback to the ROTS one.  Cheesy

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

phantom1592
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 15

« Reply #3501 on: February 15, 2020, 02:05:41 AM »

Exactly. I've also decided to give SWR a fair runthrough. I've just made it through them signing up Fenn Rau (or rescuing Iron Squadron). Either or, this series has some serious problems in its understanding of how things work (or should work). But I have to admit that it has produced some exceptionally well done scenes, that actually elicited old "holy $#!%, I felt something" feelings that I used to get from SW. I never got that from the sequels......with one exception: the "death" of Kylo Ren (not to be confused with the death of Ben Solo).

I was a big fan of Rebels. I used to play a lot of the old Star Wars; West End Games D6 RPG system... and Rebels gave me massive flashbacks. Between 'young kid/Minor Jedi', Failed Jedi, Smuggler, and a 'Wookie first mate', I could pretty much pick out the RPG templates that they used.  A completly different but similar crew running adventures set in a familiar world... I enjoyed it quite a bit. Lost the channel after season 2... so trying to catch up on Disney+ now. 

Clone Wars... I never liked. I'm also tyring to push through it since i know they tie in with Rebels and i'm trying to fill that hole.... but man, I just don't like it.

I've considered the sequel movies 'ok'. Certainly not great, but not the worst things ever... and RoS actually redeemed a LOT of TLJ. but honestly I haven't felt any real 'spark' for Star Wars since Episode 2. Rebels got me excited again... and I loved SOLO too. Everything else... it's 'ok'.

Light Side all the way Cheesy

Ordered 2/8/20:

*Azure Fallen: Obsidian v4, Guardian Blue, Flash Silver, Recharge port, Blue illuminated AVswitch
*Mystery Box
*Free Initiate

Metal Mech
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -84

Dark Force points please.

« Reply #3502 on: February 16, 2020, 03:42:50 AM »

Hated how they ruined holocrons.

Can you explain this too me? Legit question as Rebels was my introduction to Holocrons so I have no reference outside of this show and that thing in RoSW.

Wishlist
Project Replica: Specter w/ Diamond Controller 36" HD Blade
Project Dark Twins: x2 Dark Initiate LE v5 Stunt Tri-AS 24” HD Blade
Project Silver Saber: Lost Grey v4 Obsidian AS w/GB FoC 32" HD Blade

Sent back for upgrade.
Empress v4 Sound Tri-AS 32” HD Blade

Collection
Customized Saber: Dark Mantis Emerald v3 Obsidian 37” V4 Blade (mods in progress)
Practice Saber: Dark Sentinel LE v4 Stunt BR 32”HD Blade

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #3503 on: February 17, 2020, 02:10:31 PM »

This reminds me I need to watch Rebels beyond the first half of season 1...

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3504 on: February 17, 2020, 06:08:20 PM »

My favorite part is when Mace is like "Get him" and they all start beating him with their sabers. Perfect throwback to the ROTS one.  Cheesy

I was a big fan of Rebels. I used to play a lot of the old Star Wars; West End Games D6 RPG system... and Rebels gave me massive flashbacks. Between 'young kid/Minor Jedi', Failed Jedi, Smuggler, and a 'Wookie first mate', I could pretty much pick out the RPG templates that they used.  A completly different but similar crew running adventures set in a familiar world... I enjoyed it quite a bit. Lost the channel after season 2... so trying to catch up on Disney+ now. 
Similar situation. I lost Disney XD not long after said holocron fiasco, so I've only just started getting into new territory.

Clone Wars... I never liked. I'm also tyring to push through it since i know they tie in with Rebels and i'm trying to fill that hole.... but man, I just don't like it.
TCW took some time to get its footing, in a similar fashion to SWR. There is a chronological order to viewing TCW that is on Reddit. Somewhere on the forum is a link. I wasn't a huge fan after my first viewing, but I started over with the chrono-order, and it was a little more enjoyable. I think my initial disappointment with TCW came from the expectation of something "great" due to hearing the fan buzz, and having a different definition of great. I docked the series an entire letter grade simply for them turning the Slave 1's comm array into an airlock. Unforgivable.

I've considered the sequel movies 'ok'. Certainly not great, but not the worst things ever... and RoS actually redeemed a LOT of TLJ. but honestly I haven't felt any real 'spark' for Star Wars since Episode 2. Rebels got me excited again... and I loved SOLO too. Everything else... it's 'ok'.
WRONG! Cinematically, they were pretty well done. I have to give them that. But, in what seems to now be the SW norm, they took a stellar cast and gave them $#!% to work with.

Can you explain this too me? Legit question as Rebels was my introduction to Holocrons so I have no reference outside of this show and that thing in RoSW.
Per usual, Filoni's writers, him included, seem to have never read a book, and then get their hands on old ideas with no clue how to use them properly. Holocrons are synthetic crystals imbued with information by their creators. (OH SNAP! Disney canon #@%&ed up. A synth crystal can't be made for sabers but can for holocrons?) The first offense was Kanan listening to Kenobi's warning against returning to the Temple. Seriously? Kenobi created a holocron JUST to warn people? WRONG. And THEN Anakin is also on this holocron? WRONG! WTF? Did they make holocrons akin to Jedi cell phones, where you just remotely download info from the Temple archives? Then there was the "Sith holocrons are keys" bull. WRONG! Sith holocrons are just like Jedi holocrons excet they are tetrahedral or pyramidal in from instead of cubic. Finally, there was the absolute worst crime against concept to date: "when you merge Jedi and Sith holocrons, the secrets of the galaxy are revealed." <puke> These are not infinity stones; they were not some natural cosmic Force anomaly. They contain no more information than their respective creators possessed. The idea is tantamount to connecting an iPhone to a Galaxy and knowing everything on the internet. That's just not how it works.

This reminds me I need to watch Rebels beyond the first half of season 1...
Despite my gripes, the overall story has been entertaining, and it does get better the farther you go......until it explains how lightsabers "work". <barf>

Sig by For Tyeth

phantom1592
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 15

« Reply #3505 on: February 17, 2020, 08:41:42 PM »

TCW took some time to get its footing, in a similar fashion to SWR. There is a chronological order to viewing TCW that is on Reddit. Somewhere on the forum is a link. I wasn't a huge fan after my first viewing, but I started over with the chrono-order, and it was a little more enjoyable. I think my initial disappointment with TCW came from the expectation of something "great" due to hearing the fan buzz, and having a different definition of great. I docked the series an entire letter grade simply for them turning the Slave 1's comm array into an airlock. Unforgivable.

Well. my problems are pretty basic. 1) I'm tired of prequels. They just don't matter. NOTHING in this story seems to matter. Just as I didn't think it would. Every time they try to build some drama by capturing Grievous or Dooku or Anakin or obi wan get in over there head... We KNOW nothing will matter. We know what happens to all the major characters and this is the definition of 'empty filler'.  2) Knowing Anakin becomes  Vader and murders a bunch of younglings makes me not want to follow him as protagonist.  Like... At ALL. and 3) continuity is already screwed up. Anakin was never a 'master'. It was one of his biggest pushes toward the dark side by being on the council and not getting the title of Master. But then the second episode has 'master Anakin' and his padawan..... Ughhh.

Still trying to push through, but man It's a chore....

At least with Rebels it was brand new characters who'se fates weren't written in stone....

WRONG! Cinematically, they were pretty well done. I have to give them that. But, in what seems to now be the SW norm, they took a stellar cast and gave them $#!% to work with.

True... but that's why I think it's balanced out to just 'ok'. It's not the story i wanted to see... but meh... it was okay. It didn't infuriate me the way a lot of the prequels did with it's retcons. It just told a crappy future. Wink

Light Side all the way Cheesy

Ordered 2/8/20:

*Azure Fallen: Obsidian v4, Guardian Blue, Flash Silver, Recharge port, Blue illuminated AVswitch
*Mystery Box
*Free Initiate

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #3506 on: February 17, 2020, 11:34:25 PM »

1) I'm tired of prequels. They just don't matter. NOTHING in this story seems to matter. Just as I didn't think it would. Every time they try to build some drama by capturing Grievous or Dooku or Anakin or obi wan get in over there head... We KNOW nothing will matter. We know what happens to all the major characters and this is the definition of 'empty filler'.  2) Knowing Anakin becomes  Vader and murders a bunch of younglings makes me not want to follow him as protagonist.  Like... At ALL. and 3) continuity is already screwed up. Anakin was never a 'master'. It was one of his biggest pushes toward the dark side by being on the council and not getting the title of Master. But then the second episode has 'master Anakin' and his padawan..... Ughhh.

1.) While they don't matter in terms of ultimate outcome they matter in terms of understanding Anakain's fall and Palpatine's machinations. 
2.) That is quite literally the whole point.  Anakin was a hero, he would risk his life in a heartbeat...even for a droid as he did for R2.  Seeing the events and decisions that lead to his fall is what makes it interesting.  What would make this good man turn so evil is the question answered.
3.) He's still not a "Master".  Obi-Wan wasn't a master when he took Anakin as a padawan.  Knights attain Master Rank by training their first Padawan to Knighthood.  While Ahsoka calls him master its purely honorific and not his official title.  If anything the council's treatment of Ahsoka makes them not giving  him the rank of Master even more poignant.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3507 on: March 11, 2020, 02:52:34 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJZfEh3EciU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJZfEh3EciU</a>

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #3508 on: March 12, 2020, 03:26:27 AM »

Quote from: Darth Logos link=topic=11019.msg750773#msg750773
Per usual, Filoni's writers, him included, seem to have never read a book, and then get their hands on old ideas with no clue how to use them properly. Holocrons are synthetic crystals imbued with information by their creators. (OH SNAP! Disney canon #@%&ed up. A synth crystal can't be made for sabers but can for holocrons?) The first offense was Kanan listening to Kenobi's warning against returning to the Temple. Seriously? Kenobi created a holocron JUST to warn people? WRONG. And THEN Anakin is also on this holocron? WRONG! WTF? Did they make holocrons akin to Jedi cell phones, where you just remotely download info from the Temple archives? Then there was the "Sith holocrons are keys" bull. WRONG! Sith holocrons are just like Jedi holocrons excet they are tetrahedral or pyramidal in from instead of cubic. Finally, there was the absolute worst crime against concept to date: "when you merge Jedi and Sith holocrons, the secrets of the galaxy are revealed." <puke> These are not infinity stones; they were not some natural cosmic Force anomaly. They contain no more information than their respective creators possessed. The idea is tantamount to connecting an iPhone to a Galaxy and knowing everything on the internet. That's just not how it works.
Despite my gripes, the overall story has been entertaining, and it does get better the farther you go......until it explains how lightsabers "work". <barf>

Do I infer correctly that the Holocron concept introduced in the Darth Bane trilogy is more to your liking, Logos? Personally that's my fave way that they've been used thus far in all the fandom.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3509 on: March 12, 2020, 06:03:50 PM »

Do I infer correctly that the Holocron concept introduced in the Darth Bane trilogy is more to your liking, Logos? Personally that's my fave way that they've been used thus far in all the fandom.
Yup. A holocron is for all intents and purposes is a SYNTH crystal with a lattice system that operates like a computer, imbued through the Force with its creator's collected knowledge. I will concede to those that like a little mysticism in their SW, that the exact 'how' eludes me, but I won't quibble about it. I won't say that varying types of holocrons could exist. The <supressed gag reflex> Wayfinders could be such a type. My first exposure to the term was in the book Shadow Hunter. The one in that story was described as a "small crystal" which gave me an image of like a large D4. About 1.5" from tip-base.

On it was supposed to be the details of Sidious' plans. Considering the amount of amount data that what could be dubbed a "legacy" holocron {(like the ones described in the Bane trilogy), ones capable of housing a "guardian" that offer instruction} holding data on a simple plan for galactic domination wouldn't seem to require as much effort to make. Like on the scale of a thumb drive to a server.

Filoni's first offense of butchering the concept of a holocron came in TCW with that whole mess of insert "THE" Kyber crystal into apparently any Jedi holocron, to get a list of every Force sensitive child in the galaxy. Who's updating this list? [sarcasm font]Ooooo, it's space magic.[/sarcasm font]

On this note of SWR, I finally made it all the way through. Despite the seemingly never ending stream of OMFG-THAT'S-NOT-HOW-IT-WORKS moments, it actually had some incredibly powerful scenes. I liked its more continuous story and better character development compared to TCW. Overall I'd give the series a high B to low B+.

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: