Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 927291 times)
TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #3810 on: September 14, 2020, 06:46:26 PM »

Hard to believe we haven't posted in here for nearly 3 weeks. Too much slacking off going on  Grin

Just read the latest lemon in my journey through the EU novels: Children of the Jedi. I think I'm starting to get a better idea of the EU conglomerate during the mid-90's... and that it wasn't really that good.

To date my "lemon list" for the novels includes:
3. Rogue Planet
2. Children of the Jedi
1. The Approaching Storm

Unless you are a completist, might want to avoid that batch.

Speaking on Star Wars novels, somebody made Heir to the Empire into an animated series. Really not half bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgRbUd9xil0#

Yeah Saso, I hear you: some of the novels leave a lot to be desired.  My own opinion mind you, but anything from Kevin J. Anderson is really off-putting: bad portrayal of established characters, a blatant Mary Sue, an unexciting escalation of the whole superweapon genre (look, it's the Sun Crusher, more powerful than even the 2nd Death Star!...which, ironically, was one of the problems I had with Episode VII: The Force Awakens).  So...yeah, some of the books are just plain BAD.

That animated series is a pleasant surprise!  Looks like it follows the book faithfully (which is good as I've always thought that Zahn's novels were an enjoyable addition to the series, especially since the last thing of "Star Wars" that I'd experienced was RotJ in the theaters  Wink).

Thanks for sharing!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 223

Light side points preferred if I earn them....

« Reply #3811 on: September 15, 2020, 02:30:24 PM »

My nomination for an EU lemon is The Crystal Star by Vonda N. McIntyre.

The notion of lightsabers that can only be activated by using the Force, as cool as it is, does NOT make up for the fact that the main threat that Han and Luke need to face is basically a giant, sentient, golden-scaled blob.  Not to mention we get another "Solo Twins Are Kidnapped" plot thread that ties into the blob threat.

Doing the best I can with what I've got...

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
The Fallen - Tri-cree Silver
Initiate V2 - Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 - Fire Orange
Apprentice LE V5 - Blazing Red
Shock - Consular Green
Frankensaber "Emerald Fury" - Consular Green w/ Silver flash
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst w/ silver flash
The Guardian - Guardian Blue w/ silver flash

FAMILY SABERS:
Aeon LE v5 - Tri-cree Guardian Blue
Archon v2.1 - Tri-cree Consular Green
Savior - Violet Amethyst
Manticore - Tri-cree Blazing Red
Princess (golden) - Violet Amethyst

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #3812 on: September 15, 2020, 03:41:37 PM »

The notion of lightsabers that can only be activated by using the Force, as cool as it is, does NOT make up for the fact that the main threat that Han and Luke need to face is basically a giant, sentient, golden-scaled blob.  Not to mention we get another "Solo Twins Are Kidnapped" plot thread that ties into the blob threat.

Oh joy, Crystal Star is now third in line as I look at my bookshelf.

On the bright side though, reading the EU novels and really any SW material is excellent for getting ideas for fan fiction. Despite there being some real bad stories in the mix I've gotten a lot of great ideas to explore and how to finely tune my writing (granted, sometimes it's learning what not to do instead of learning what to do, but I digress.)

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3813 on: September 15, 2020, 04:47:16 PM »

Yeah Saso, I hear you: some of the novels leave a lot to be desired.  My own opinion mind you, but anything from Kevin J. Anderson is really off-putting: bad portrayal of established characters, a blatant Mary Sue, an unexciting escalation of the whole superweapon genre (look, it's the Sun Crusher, more powerful than even the 2nd Death Star!...which, ironically, was one of the problems I had with Episode VII: The Force Awakens).  So...yeah, some of the books are just plain BAD.
I'm not opposed to upping the ante with super weapons, just do it right. I've already outlined, numerous times, how to out-do the Death Star and every other laser based super weapon.

Even I'm not opposed to that notion....if done correctly. You are referring to a Force switch?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 223

Light side points preferred if I earn them....

« Reply #3814 on: September 15, 2020, 05:58:19 PM »

Even I'm not opposed to that notion....if done correctly. You are referring to a Force switch?

Something like that; it's been ages since I've read the book, but I think it was something like using the Force to connect a circuit in order to ignite the blade.  Not a bad concept, I thought.

Doing the best I can with what I've got...

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
The Fallen - Tri-cree Silver
Initiate V2 - Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 - Fire Orange
Apprentice LE V5 - Blazing Red
Shock - Consular Green
Frankensaber "Emerald Fury" - Consular Green w/ Silver flash
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst w/ silver flash
The Guardian - Guardian Blue w/ silver flash

FAMILY SABERS:
Aeon LE v5 - Tri-cree Guardian Blue
Archon v2.1 - Tri-cree Consular Green
Savior - Violet Amethyst
Manticore - Tri-cree Blazing Red
Princess (golden) - Violet Amethyst

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3815 on: September 15, 2020, 07:07:56 PM »

Something like that; it's been ages since I've read the book, but I think it was something like using the Force to connect a circuit in order to ignite the blade.  Not a bad concept, I thought.
Basically, it is a tamper-proof. On the first level of protection, only a Force sensitive can activate it. The second level is that only one with innate knowledge of the saber's construction and layout would be able to activate it. I always viewed it as a normal switch, but housed internally so that the Force was required reach through the housing to hit it.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #3816 on: September 15, 2020, 08:38:46 PM »

I'm not opposed to upping the ante with super weapons, just do it right. I've already outlined, numerous times, how to out-do the Death Star and every other laser based super weapon.
I don't disagree; it's the fact that for many of the stories, it was NOT done "right" (again, the Sun Crusher, Starkiller Base).

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3817 on: September 15, 2020, 08:48:07 PM »

I don't disagree; it's the fact that for many of the stories, it was NOT done "right" (again, the Sun Crusher, Starkiller Base).
It was y understanding that Sun Crusher fired special torps that killed the fusion of a star, or something like that.

Sig by For Tyeth

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #3818 on: September 16, 2020, 12:01:01 AM »

It was y understanding that Sun Crusher fired special torps that killed the fusion of a star, or something like that.

Good memory Logos, that is correct.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3819 on: September 16, 2020, 12:13:51 PM »

Yea the New Superweapon of the Week got a bit stale over time.  I seem to remember that when the Yuuzhan Vong came into the picture it wasn't well received...and not just because of a particular characters death.  It's what I had hoped Disney would do...a pruning of the EU. 

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3820 on: September 16, 2020, 03:16:57 PM »

Good memory Logos, that is correct.
I never actually read it. I originally found out about it from an old friend, long before I was as deep into SW as I am now. Later I read about it in Wookieepedia.

Yea the New Superweapon of the Week got a bit stale over time.  I seem to remember that when the Yuuzhan Vong came into the picture it wasn't well received...and not just because of a particular characters death.  It's what I had hoped Disney would do...a pruning of the EU. 
I think it wasn't well received because it involved being from beyond the realm of our beloved galaxy.

Sig by For Tyeth

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

« Reply #3821 on: September 16, 2020, 03:20:34 PM »

I think it wasn't well received because it involved being from beyond the realm of our beloved galaxy.

That, and the whole idea of an "alien invasion" kind of loses its allure when aliens are and always have been an integral part of Star Wars.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3822 on: September 16, 2020, 03:27:36 PM »

That, and the whole idea of an "alien invasion" kind of loses its allure when aliens are and always have been an integral part of Star Wars.
Well that was covered in the "extra-dimensional" aspect.

Sig by For Tyeth

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3823 on: September 18, 2020, 04:13:10 PM »

BTW  Don't forget to add some of the comics to your TO Read list.  There were than a few storylines that were only in comic form.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #3824 on: September 18, 2020, 04:42:41 PM »

BTW  Don't forget to add some of the comics to your TO Read list.  There were than a few storylines that were only in comic form.
Maybe. From I've gleaned from the buzz feed, the Vader comics try too hard.

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: