Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263   Go Down
Author Topic: Random Star Wars Thoughts  (Read 927306 times)
TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #3900 on: November 18, 2020, 05:48:51 PM »

So I got some things......

Those are purdy, Tepes  Wink

I'd love to see US produce their own model of these two hilts^^

Point!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Metal Mech
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -84

Dark Force points please.

« Reply #3901 on: December 02, 2020, 01:34:27 AM »

Figured this was a good place to ramble about my kid and Star Wars. My kid doesn’t care for Star Wars overall. He has loved lightsabers since he could hold one and knew what it was l, but what kid doesn’t love laser swords. He has always like the Lego sets of the ships. Mostly because he has always liked space and space ships and well Star Wars has the coolest ships.

One time he went shopping at the Disney Store because he had a gift card. After he bought what he wanted he used his left over money to buy me a diecast model of the Slave I. He got it because he knew I liked Star Wars and he thought it was a cool ship. It is now his favorite ship in the entire series. So I showed him so clips from AoTC and ESB, so he could see the ship in action. He says is favorite is still the Boba Fett version. I’m really hoping it shows up again in the Mandalorian
Speaking of that show. It is legit the only Star Wars my kid will watch I intentionally. He was curious about the “Baby Yoda” hype and only wanted to watch one episode with the baby in it. Got hooked. He now loves the show, but could still give two craps about anything else Star Wars. Because of this he asks a lot of questions and he allows me to show him clips and parts of other Star Wars stuff it still won’t watch them haha. Also all his thoughts and questions are Mandalorian center. He legit asked me if Vader’s shoulder pads were based of the Mandalorian shoulder pads.

I gotta say I love the fact that he even loves any part of Star Wars.
Oh and he has asked multiple times for me to get him a Ultra Saber. I will one day but at the moment he is still awkward and has little spatial awerness. So an Ultra Saber is not a good idea just yet. One day though.

Wishlist
Project Replica: Specter w/ Diamond Controller 36" HD Blade
Project Dark Twins: x2 Dark Initiate LE v5 Stunt Tri-AS 24” HD Blade
Project Silver Saber: Lost Grey v4 Obsidian AS w/GB FoC 32" HD Blade

Sent back for upgrade.
Empress v4 Sound Tri-AS 32” HD Blade

Collection
Customized Saber: Dark Mantis Emerald v3 Obsidian 37” V4 Blade (mods in progress)
Practice Saber: Dark Sentinel LE v4 Stunt BR 32”HD Blade

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #3902 on: December 02, 2020, 02:28:39 AM »

@ Metal Mech: Well that's cool you two could at least find some common ground. He sounds young still, but eventually that lightsaber will probably be a great gift. I don't know your budget, ideas about conventions, or if you have any videogame consoles; but I have a few suggestions to start if you're interested

First off, I love SW Battlefront 2, if he's at least a teenager/above 10-11 then it's a fun option you could play together. It supports split screen too, and he can play as Boba Fett. If you have a PS4 or XBOX One this game has been out since 2017 so you can probably get it pretty cheap.

With the Mandalorian being so popular you could probably put together a cosplay with him. For going to a convention, or maybe just trick or treating next year. Jango & Boba would probably be a hit, but either a bit expensive to buy or time consuming to build. Making it a great potential project, but definitely going to take some effort. I love conventions, and know it's a great way to spend some time together.

You could learn Mando 'a, the Mandalorian language. I know it's a bit nerdy as a concept, but again popular right now. Then you can talk together, and if his friends like the show it could win him some cool points. There are online translators and wookiepedia so you could start with a few words and go from there.

I don't know if you've done any martial arts, but there are tons of saber groups on here... They could help you find a local one. It's a great way to start out teaching him fundamentals, respect for the lightsaber, and again quality time if you are in a class together or if you train with him some after his classes once he's gotten the hang of it.

...So yeah, that's about all the ideas I've got for you, just trying to help you share your SW love with your kid in a way you may not have thought of. Didn't mean to give un solicited advice, just know I would have loved some of this stuff growing up if I had the chance instead of doing it myself when I got a bit older. Don't be discouraged if you're not always successful, at least you have some common ground; it's definitely better than nothing.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Metal Mech
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -84

Dark Force points please.

« Reply #3903 on: December 02, 2020, 10:46:01 AM »

Advice is always appreciated. He’s kinda got this “I like what I like and that’s it” mentality. So I just grab onto whatever he likes and go with it. The saber classes/training might be a fun thing when he’s a bit older and into being more realistic. For now he just loves to run around and hit things/me etc.
I do like the idea of Halloween costume. Might be a nice change from all the Video game character he likes to goes as. I’m pretty sure he would choose the Mando over Boba.

Wishlist
Project Replica: Specter w/ Diamond Controller 36" HD Blade
Project Dark Twins: x2 Dark Initiate LE v5 Stunt Tri-AS 24” HD Blade
Project Silver Saber: Lost Grey v4 Obsidian AS w/GB FoC 32" HD Blade

Sent back for upgrade.
Empress v4 Sound Tri-AS 32” HD Blade

Collection
Customized Saber: Dark Mantis Emerald v3 Obsidian 37” V4 Blade (mods in progress)
Practice Saber: Dark Sentinel LE v4 Stunt BR 32”HD Blade

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #3904 on: December 02, 2020, 11:44:46 AM »

Advice is always appreciated. He’s kinda got this “I like what I like and that’s it” mentality. So I just grab onto whatever he likes and go with it. The saber classes/training might be a fun thing when he’s a bit older and into being more realistic. For now he just loves to run around and hit things/me etc.
I do like the idea of Halloween costume. Might be a nice change from all the Video game character he likes to goes as. I’m pretty sure he would choose the Mando over Boba.

We all have that mentality as kids more often than not. You choose a bit of what you enjoy, the rest is often impressed upon you by whatever other influences. I grew up on the original trilogy as something my parent's watched and shared. My oldest memories are "playfighting" on the playground as Vader VS Luke (you can probably guess which I was). We self determine as much as we can along the way, but if you get a chance to have some good times with him along the way savor/capitalize (on) those moments. I would have loved to truly live those times the way I could have. We sadly just "live" our way through life more often than we truly embrace and live life... Baseball, football, NASCAR, everyone has their past times... but you never really get to choose what your kids embrace or ignore. So I say capitalize on the opportunity while the window is open. As they say "they grow up fast" and things change in the blink of an eye. Not everything is Leave it to Beaver or Brady Bunch drama, you can try to bond teaching a kid to ride a bike or fish; sometimes that comes a bit later on and just being together making a costume and taking pictures are the moments you look back on instead. I hated learning things like learning to ride a bike, swim, play football (my dad's hobbies exclusively) but I remember dressing up as Maul and Vader for Halloween, trips to Disney world. I still wish they would have listened and got me into MA, shooting, hunting sooner. Often it's just finding a balance between what they are into, what's best for them, and teaching some responsibility along the way. There aren't retrys or resets in this life, just reflection in retrospect or regret. You sound like you guys will be alright, so I'll just be glad for that. Everyone is different, parents and children aren't excluded from having individuality. But it's up to us to find common ground or simply enforce our will instead. I've seen the latter fail time and time again, it's not about being their best friend but sometimes just an ally they can trust/have faith in while it lasts. Nothing is perfect, but on occasion we can be happy together in the moment.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 223

Light side points preferred if I earn them....

« Reply #3905 on: January 16, 2021, 01:14:41 PM »

I know I'm late to the Clone Wars Final Season party, but I binged the whole season last night and I need to ask:  how does a show that starts off with Skyguy and Sticks baby-sitting an infant Hutt with a gas problem evolve into THOSE LAST FOUR EPISODES?

I must have rewound those last few minutes of "Victory and Death" about a half dozen times, fer cryin out loud.  Sheer perfection.

Doing the best I can with what I've got...

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
The Fallen - Tri-cree Silver
Initiate V2 - Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 - Fire Orange
Apprentice LE V5 - Blazing Red
Shock - Consular Green
Frankensaber "Emerald Fury" - Consular Green w/ Silver flash
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst w/ silver flash
The Guardian - Guardian Blue w/ silver flash

FAMILY SABERS:
Aeon LE v5 - Tri-cree Guardian Blue
Archon v2.1 - Tri-cree Consular Green
Savior - Violet Amethyst
Manticore - Tri-cree Blazing Red
Princess (golden) - Violet Amethyst

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #3906 on: January 16, 2021, 08:56:00 PM »

I know I'm late to the Clone Wars Final Season party, but I binged the whole season last night and I need to ask:  how does a show that starts off with Skyguy and Sticks baby-sitting an infant Hutt with a gas problem evolve into THOSE LAST FOUR EPISODES?

I must have rewound those last few minutes of "Victory and Death" about a half dozen times, fer cryin out loud.  Sheer perfection.

It's called character development. Quite amazing what a show can do when they include it.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Jedi_Phoenix
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 223

Light side points preferred if I earn them....

« Reply #3907 on: January 17, 2021, 03:14:43 AM »

It's called character development. Quite amazing what a show can do when they include it.

Character development coupled with some fantastic writing.  I know the show got better as the seasons went on, but those final four episodes were in a class all their own.

Doing the best I can with what I've got...

PERSONAL ARSENAL:
The Fallen - Tri-cree Silver
Initiate V2 - Guardian Blue
Apprentice V4 - Fire Orange
Apprentice LE V5 - Blazing Red
Shock - Consular Green
Frankensaber "Emerald Fury" - Consular Green w/ Silver flash
Emperor's Hand - Violet Amethyst w/ silver flash
The Guardian - Guardian Blue w/ silver flash

FAMILY SABERS:
Aeon LE v5 - Tri-cree Guardian Blue
Archon v2.1 - Tri-cree Consular Green
Savior - Violet Amethyst
Manticore - Tri-cree Blazing Red
Princess (golden) - Violet Amethyst

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #3908 on: January 20, 2021, 11:23:58 PM »

Character development coupled with some fantastic writing.  I know the show got better as the seasons went on, but those final four episodes were in a class all their own.

Yeah I finally had time to watch the clone wars over the holidays, it went from standard kiddy fare to really solid, you can see the turn around as soon as Maul came into it (though there were still some less than engaging parts with those 'droid' episodes)
Interestingly i feel like it became more like the Dark Horse Clone Wars comics series as it went on, some of those were really excellent and would make good adaptations, i know that is 'old canon' but still i can't help but feel they took some inspiration from there.   

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #3909 on: January 22, 2021, 01:12:07 AM »

I’m about to dip into more of Clone Wars myself. I actually just finished Rebels and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I was especially curious about the World Between Worlds given the Multiverse rumors that have come up lately. (And yeah they are rumors which I take with a bucket of salt.)

A multiverse while on the surface seeming like a weird fit for Star Wars I think could potentially at least be a good thing. The Mandolorian and new shows wouldn’t have to be married to the sequel future but at the same time neither the sequels or Legends/E.U would be taken away from anyone. It would just be a third path. They would just need to keep continuity consistent within the respective timelines and make sure it’s clear which one they are working in for a given project.

Now granted this might seem slightly less weird to me than for some since I’m coming from the angle of someone having grown up a comicbook reader where the concept of a Mulltiverse has been around for a long time. I’d be curious to know what people here thought about it.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #3910 on: January 22, 2021, 03:49:30 AM »

I’m about to dip into more of Clone Wars myself. I actually just finished Rebels and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I was especially curious about the World Between Worlds given the Multiverse rumors that have come up lately. (And yeah they are rumors which I take with a bucket of salt.)

A multiverse while on the surface seeming like a weird fit for Star Wars I think could potentially at least be a good thing. The Mandolorian and new shows wouldn’t have to be married to the sequel future but at the same time neither the sequels or Legends/E.U would be taken away from anyone. It would just be a third path. They would just need to keep continuity consistent within the respective timelines and make sure it’s clear which one they are working in for a given project.

Now granted this might seem slightly less weird to me than for some since I’m coming from the angle of someone having grown up a comicbook reader where the concept of a Mulltiverse has been around for a long time. I’d be curious to know what people here thought about it.

I'd be a HUGE supporter of the concept. In truth a lot of SW fans must be fans of other scifi and different comic style universes. So (especially with the movies, shows, and other things out there) I can't see it as the worst idea to come to SW in the last 5-10 years right? But just to be clear, Disney needs to eat the bullet on this one and call "their spinoff" the branch off from things... just saying IMO. Sorry, I had to say that one, but in all fairness this is a great idea. Because at the end of the day the content that keeps cropping up with the most support gets the most screen time/continuations. But fan made things or less frequent releases of content from "offshoots" can still make a splash with fans of those things. Really they already have this as a concept with all the Legends by just picking and choosing what they want to honor, canonize when they choose, or outright trash. This is a compromise most of their fans could grasp, or at least find reason to accept I think. I'm not saying this opens it up for Darth Jar Jar ruling his own galaxy, but in truth it could always give them an out if they wanted to "erase" episodes 7-9 from the timeline without slashing and burning it out of existence and "wounding" fans of their "new trilogy" the way they wounded past fans in different ways. This is a very acceptable strategy, and they could shift it around so easily to suit their individual needs it's almost scary. And if they don't have the sense to do it, I'm still waiting on my canon Revan movie(s).

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #3911 on: January 23, 2021, 03:19:10 AM »

“..Darth Jar Jar”

Yeah I think it would be more of a divergent timeline thing and less in the vein of “..and here is the Earth where Elvis was President and here is the Earth where Batman is a pirate.”

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #3912 on: January 23, 2021, 06:35:34 AM »

“..Darth Jar Jar”

Yeah I think it would be more of a divergent timeline thing and less in the vein of “..and here is the Earth where Elvis was President and here is the Earth where Batman is a pirate.”

One could still argue for it in the light of diverging from one or 2 choices/events. Him choosing the darkness, or simply being born with a high mediclorian count... But trust me, I'm just playing devil's advocate on this one NOT truly advocating it. I get you, more what if things played out slightly differently, not full on bizzaro world. Like Luke take's dad's offer and now it's up to Leia, Han, Chewie and Lando to set things right. Alternate timeline more so than wild parallel universe of Darth Yoda crushing the Order with his full Dark Side might! I think I'm picking up what you're putting down, and I like it. (Even though Batman has dangerous similarities to a pirate. And politics is dang near a popularity contest anyway, so sadly I could see Elvis getting votes easily in a slightly different decade or if he'd attempted a run. Sorry can't help myself sometimes.  Wink)

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #3913 on: January 23, 2021, 01:25:50 PM »

Nah it’s fine. In trying to convey my thought for some reason the Elseworlds story where Batman is a pirate on the high seas and a likely Earth from a Sliders episode came to mind.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #3914 on: January 23, 2021, 01:50:39 PM »

Nah it’s fine. In trying to convey my thought for some reason the Elseworlds story where Batman is a pirate on the high seas and a likely Earth from a Sliders episode came to mind.

Sliders was a great/under rated show. No regrets for nerding out with purpose... the world would still be in the dark ages if people didn't work their brains a bit trying to prove a point. If people drew more on references that they'd seen maybe we wouldn't have fools creating AIs and mechanized soldier type weapons. Sorry I've watched terminator, the matrix, I robot, I am mother, outside the wire, etc in every sci fi category possible. So when I see modern scientists gene splicing away with CRISPR, making AI with no regard to how the smartest person can never out think something that will never have true conscience, plagues destroy society with people letting others die in squalor, smart cars that drive themselves being designed into 18 wheelers, nukes being proliferated, global warming having been ignored, people ready & willing to transfer consciousness into synth bodies... I just say "wow glad I don't have kids to deal with the future". I don't want to be political by any means, just saying the "world" is terrifying if you ever read/watched sci fi. Because those books and movies didn't tend to be wrong, they were usually just insightful and wind up tending toward truth eventually. But morality and ethics in many matters seemed to find the wayside, while naive "oh well, look at how GOOD this can be" superseded logical conclusions about how horribly things could go wrong or be used for dark purpose. I'm just glad I won't have to deal with it all when/if it winds up sideways as all heck. I can just be that "crazy old guy" laughing saying I told you so when truly bad things keep happening.

I know it's a bit of a rant, but people are so foolhardy in their pursuit of some things it's wild. I mean I want a lightsaber, a true lightsaber. But I'd be horrified to death almost every moment using it. And other people "waving them around" would be terrifying in truth. A legitimate lightsaber fight would be insane! Hence needing the Force to not lose a limb or appendage. I just feel like humanity has lost some of it's "feelings of caution" in it's growing comfort with technology. I'm far from a technophobe obviously, but I wish to keep a healthy degree of caution in certain areas. Dr gattling meant well, the manhattan project scientists warned their benefactors, scifi is meant as a cautionary tale by many writers. But I just guess I lament how easy people say "ah it'll never happen." Color me paranoid or crazy for feeling like saying so, but our world keeps on showing us "things we never thought were possible" were often just a failure of imagination.

So seriously, alternate reality timelines in SW would be great. It's a purely wonderful way to give almost everyone what they want without sacrificing much except confusing a few. And IMO there are obviously worse things in the world than that.

Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: