Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Converting WAV Files to LSU Using Audacity - Step by Step Tutorial  (Read 104544 times)
eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« on: December 17, 2012, 12:28:39 AM »

Hi everyone. I just thought I might make a tutorial on how to take a Stereo WAV file, and turn it into an LSU file for your saber.

Step one, download the Obsidian Launcher and Audacity and install them if you haven't already.

In Audacity, open the WAV file that you wish to convert. You might find that two tracks appear instead of one. The first thing you'll need to do is join the left channel with the right one. In the tiny menu next to the track, click on "Split Stereo To Mono"

The LSU Converter needs a Mono track, so now that we have two duplicate mono tracks, you can now close the bottom track. Click the X that's circled in the picture below. (Notice that I trimmed the long audio file into a 4 second clip)

Now that we have a single, mono track, it's time to modify the bit rate and sample rate of the file. LSU files require 16-bit, 48000 Hz, mono samples to convert to LSU. The mono is already covered! Smiley

To change the Sample Rate:

To change the Bit Rate:

And in case the track isn't set to Mono:

There is one silly master setting that I always forget about when converting WAVs, and that's the global project settings. The image below shows the two areas that must all have the 16-bit, 48000 Hz, mono samples settings applied:

Now you're ready to export! Click File -> Export to continue.

Choose where you want to save it, give it a name with no spaces in the name, and then select WAV Microsoft (Signed) 16 Bit PCM as in the image below:

Hit Save to convert the WAV file. One other box pops open when you click Save, but you can just hit OK to continue.

Once you've saved the WAV file, close Audacity, and don't bother saving the Audacity file as what you want has already been exported.

Next, to convert the file to LSU, open the LSU Converter from the Obsidian Launcher folder, and once the program is open, load the WAV file that you saved earlier. If you like, you can password protect your LSU files, but for simplicity, just unclick Locked, and then covert the file! Remember to not include any spaces in your LSU file, and keep them around 5 seconds or less for best results.

Shoot any questions below, or PM me if you prefer. MTFBWY
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:25:23 AM by Drahcir » Logged

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

Jabari
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 57

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 12:52:16 AM »

Thanks so much!  I've been trying to figure out how to do this, but I don't know my way around Audacity very well yet.  Point!

digitalsithlord
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -165

Give into your Anger...Give me "Darkside" points..

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 06:56:46 PM »

Eerockk your are the man ::cough cough:: for a Jedi ::cough cough::   (Evil Laughter)

A well deserved point for you

Lightsaber Arsenal:
Red Liberator - GB
Prophecy v2 - AS
Bellicose - BR
Archon V2.1 - CG
Crimson Reaper - BR
Dark Monarch -BR
Aeon v3 - SY
Malice - BR
Aeon v2 - AS
Dominix v2- VA
Dark War Glaive - DVA

eerockk
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 02:45:36 AM »

You're both very welcome. Hey, the Sith need good sound too, right?

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 03:06:05 AM »

Excellent guide eerockk.  Point for you, and thread stickied!

eerockk
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 03:09:59 AM »

Thanks Master Nero! Hope we see a gallery of people's reviews of their custom fonts to a Saberforum near us! *hint hint*  Cheesy

Jabari
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 57

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 05:33:48 AM »

Yes, and thanks for sticky-ing this thread.  I've already got the "first draft" of my Thunder/Rain font on my saber for testing.  Just need to get some better sound effects to sample so I can tweak it some more.  Cheesy

LORD VANE
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -48

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 07:41:45 AM »

Yep thats how ya do it!!!!!!

lorddeathbane
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -12

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 01:25:25 AM »

Thank you so much i just converted a font that was made for a different sound card woo hoo!

NinjaJesus
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 61

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 07:03:09 AM »

I tried to do this step-by-step, but each sound clip consistently comes out accelerated.  Almost like each clip is in fast motion.  I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, seeing as I've done everything on here to the tee.  Any help would be most appreciated with this. Thanks.  Smiley

lorddeathbane
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -12

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 09:16:39 AM »

when you switch it to 48000 it will make it quicker but just to go effects and change speed to -54.00 and it will fix it. then export.

eerockk
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 12:25:57 PM »

That's good to know, man! For some reason, that doesn't happen for me. I wonder why upping a sample rate would change the speed though?

NinjaJesus
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 61

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »

OK everything worked well and I got everything converted. Thanks, guys. Points to both of you.  Smiley

On a side note, after I converted the sounds and put them on my saber, it sounds like there's a split-second pause inbetween each sound.  For example, there's a split-second pause between the Power On and the Hum.  I noticed that the other non-converted sound fonts, like the Starkiller or Sith, don't do that.  Anyone else notice this with their sounds or have that same problem?  I was wondering if that's just how it is or if it can get fixed. Thanks.

eerockk
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 10:23:30 PM »

Do your sound clips have empty space before or after the sound? You might have to trim the front end and/or back end of your sound clip. PM me if you like.

Darth Sabre
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -216

TPLA Knight instructor

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 06:27:05 PM »

Fantastic work, Eerockk! (point)

And something that just has to be said: for the short time you've actually been on the forum, you're one of the most active contributers (and high-quality as well). I like your work and views very much (well, for a Jedi, mind!).

Will follow your progress with great interest (and, of course, try to tempt you to join the Dark Side Cool)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: