Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
Author Topic: Converting WAV Files to LSU Using Audacity - Step by Step Tutorial  (Read 104554 times)
Sypho Ruut
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: 58

Light side.. just

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2015, 03:33:59 AM »

A well deserved point to you sir, excellent work!

Owned;
 Flamberge-BR/emerald/BR-obsidian
 Dark Liberator-GB

Want;
 Mantis in BH
 Archon in AB
 Monarch in SY

dlevans
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2015, 02:22:46 PM »

Thank you. I'm going to try and make a video tutorial after work today.

You can’t rhyme against the dark side of the force, why even bother?
So many dudes been with your mom who even knows if I’m your father?
http://www.starwars.com/games-apps/star-wars-soundboard

dlevans
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2015, 12:02:47 AM »

Well the video didn't pan out like I'd like.... so here's a guide:

I had 3.2.2 and 2.2.2 installed so I uninstalled both of them to start from scratch. (Your mileage may very.)

Get 3.2.2 from here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11988.0
Get 2.2.2 with the converter from here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=3693.0

Download 3.2.2 and 2.2.2 and extract them to your desktop.

Inside the 2.2.2 folder is another file called obsidianusb.CAB. Unzip it as well.

Install 3.2.2 and make sure everything works with it before doing the next steps.

Now that your 3.2.2 is working, let's install the converter...

Open the 2.2.2 folder you extracted and move LSU_converter.exe to C:\Program Files (x86)\UltraSabers\Obsidian Launcher.

In the obsidianusb folder you extracted move ulstrasabers_small.bmp to C:\Program Files (x86)\UltraSabers\Obsidian Launcher.

**NOTE: ALSO MOVE THE comdlg32.ocx FILE TO C:\Program Files (x86)\UltraSabers\Obsidian Launcher**

Click the start menu and type "cmd". Right click on cmd.exe and click Open as Administrator. Click yes if it asks for permission.

**NOTE: ALSO MOVE THE comdlg32.ocx FILE TO C:\Program Files (x86)\UltraSabers\Obsidian Launcher THE PICTURE IS WRONG AND SHOULD BE FROM C:\Program Files (x86)\UltraSabers\Obsidian Launcher NOT YOUR DESKTOP**

In the command prompt type cd C:\Program Files (x86)\UltraSabers\Obsidian Launcher and press enter.

Next type Regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx and press enter.

A box will pop up that says "DllRegisterServer in comdlg32.ocx succeeded." Click ok.

Your LSU Converter should now be working. w00t!!

I use YouTube to find a lot of my sound effects and http://www.youtube-mp3.org/ to convert them to audio files. Once you have your audio file, you can go to the start of this guide and convert the file for your saber.

You can also cut them down to size using Audacity.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 01:03:44 AM by dlevans » Logged

You can’t rhyme against the dark side of the force, why even bother?
So many dudes been with your mom who even knows if I’m your father?
http://www.starwars.com/games-apps/star-wars-soundboard

Beacon
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2015, 10:03:46 PM »

Thank you all for your comments here and those forms as I am just beginning to learn what the Obsidian soundboard is and how I might bring out its full potential (which I am not certain has been realized yet in these devices). I came in there basically to learn exactly what you posted!!!

I have a few tips as well that are from my personal experience as a sound producer:
There are myriad sound production apps that allow voice or instrumentation to be completely manipulated.
Surprisingly enough, the most powerful of these for the average user or on your mobile platforms, often in the form of free or professional applications in your app store. All of these applications are designed to mimic professional studio software. And I can tell you from experience that they work great if you DO NOT ALREADY know what you're doing as far as sound production goes. These applications will allow you to create files using a fraction of the processing power but will not give you the strength of professional sound editing software (at hundreds of dollars per copy and license).

If you are interested in using PC pro level sound software (products such as the many clones of former ProTools), in order to have real control over shaping your sounds, I want you to realize first that there is a huge learning curve with these software applications. Even if you know exactly what you're doing in one application, when you get another company's application it can take you weeks or months to learn how to do the same things in their menu systems because the history of applied sound engineering is so complex. This is why I advocate mobile software because it has been created to be intuitive and easy to use without much processing power. I myself use both Mobile and laptop software suites to create and produce sounds, but over time I'm moving more and more to the mobile platforms for the advantages that they lend to production.

All that said: if you actually know as much or more than me about sound production I just wanted to point something out. The power of creating a mix down file means that you do not have to worry about converting something with in a file itself, which can complicate its performance as a software driven sound (re. speeding up of sound, above^)The tutorials about that describe going through the audacity file conversion process from stereo to mono is a couple of more steps than I have to take with my software, but is A GOOD EXPORT TUTORIAL. When I'm in my pro software I simply choose a menu selection and it does this job for me quickly of course. When I am on my mobile software, what I will do is make a mono mix down of a stereo track - this allows me to control the overall levels of the sound and sometimes even benefits from compression filtering. By creating a mixed down you're basically making a copy of the file you had before with different parameters than the original. When mixing from stereo to mono, you also cut the data in a half roughly, if not more. Then AFTER you have this new mono sound file, it is easier to manipulate. [exceptions: translating panning and reverb require some pre-production work before mixing - trust me.]

Just a couple tips from somebody who's been in the trenches with sound production for several years now and would like to help people speed up some of the difficult parts.

Wink
Namasté
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:16:05 PM by Beacon » Logged

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

kaanapuchris
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -53

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2015, 03:18:26 AM »

where do you get the lsu converter? i cant find it. also is there a version for mac? lastly where can i find a kylo ren sound font?

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »

where do you get the lsu converter? i cant find it. also is there a version for mac? lastly where can i find a kylo ren sound font?

The lsu converter is in the Obsidian V2 download, it's in a seperate folder from the soundboard launcher. Unfortunately it's not Mac compatible.
To my knowledge there's no Kylo font available as no one knows enough of what his lightsaber sounds like yet.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 03:59:18 PM by hazard502 » Logged

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Jenkosaurus
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2015, 08:14:46 PM »

This just won't work for me! Sad eevrytime i download the latest Obsidian launcher, it tells me its V1 not 3.2.2 and it looks totally different from the images showing the launcher >.<

I have followed the rest of the tutorial but to no avail, the folders are laid out differently and even when following anyway and putting the files when told to, when i get to the cmd part, i type in the the path route and it tells me that it isnt there! >.<

Do i have to do it this way around to convert .WAV files to .lsu files? or can i just use the v2.2.2 converter? (I have v3 sound, or will do when it arrives on Wednesday!)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Jenkosaurus
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2015, 11:16:53 AM »

Alright, it seems i have the latest 1.0.3 v4 launcher, the entire files layout is different o.O Is there a converter for the latest launcher? Smiley

BladeCrossEXE
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -76

Shape the Future! Give Dark Points!

« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2015, 07:39:59 PM »

The lsu converter is in the Obsidian V2 download, it's in a seperate folder from the soundboard launcher. Unfortunately it's not Mac compatible.
To my knowledge there's no Kylo font available as no one knows enough of what his lightsaber sounds like yet.

Here's a Youtube video with a lot of sound effects from the trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to6bJ7xDw_U

I would make it in the Font maker myself, but I'm still unexperienced, so I don't have the timing down just yet, and there's a lot of delay in between sound effects, so if anyone else wants to take this project upon themselves, then have at it. ...that and I kinda need this one too, since I'm going to the premiere decked out in my Sith garb and toting my Flamberge.

Subscribe to me on Youtube! youtube.com/FlashingBladesProductions
Current Sabers:                                             
Dark Catalyst                                                 
Dark Prophecy                                               
Dark Initiate V2 LE x2
Dominix V2 RGB
Flamberge LE Emerald

craigpay
Force Sensitive

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2015, 09:02:43 AM »

I also have the latest v4 Launcher version which shows up as 1.03 in the About screen...

I copied over the converter EXE and the OCX. Registering the OCX fails with:

The Eld
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 25

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2015, 04:36:26 PM »

I have the V4, and I'm experimenting with soundfonts. Is there any benifit to using .lsu over .wav files?
Also if anyone has advice on getting smooth transitions between sounds, I would love you forever! I have trimmed and made sure the sounds match up, but when it's in the saber, I still get a noticeable gap, pause or whatever. Please help! Thanks!

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2015, 05:22:02 PM »

^   I've tried a few things with no success, and it can be very frustrating. The last thing I tried was attaching the hum before and after each swing/clash to help each one transition back into the hum. But I still get the pause in between. Not sure how to smooth that out.

eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2015, 05:01:06 AM »

^   I've tried a few things with no success, and it can be very frustrating. The last thing I tried was attaching the hum before and after each swing/clash to help each one transition back into the hum. But I still get the pause in between. Not sure how to smooth that out.

The trick is having a hum that loops perfectly. If you have that, then keep the ending part of the hum, and using that hum file with the ending, plop that as a second track in Audacity right below your swings and clashes. If you add the last part of the hum to any sound, and your hum loops perfectly, then the last part of the hum will transition into the first part of the actual hum making it seamless. That's how I unified my own Kit Fisto font.

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

hazard502
Knight Commander

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2015, 04:52:25 AM »

^ Ok, I thought I saw you sneaking around other boards, so...hey there!

I have actually added the last part of the hum to all other sounds, but did it on the same board has the other sounds were on and not the one below on Audacity. I'm looking fwd to better results armed with this new info, thx!

+1

Zalbaag
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -42

Dark...Light...we are bound only to the Force

« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2015, 06:19:26 AM »

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to UltraSabers (going to Post Office tomorrow to pick up my first saber!).  I was messing around with sound fonts that I want to load onto my saber, and found that the new launcher accepts the 48000 Hz .wav files.  Is there a reason we need to convert the .wav files to .lsu?

I am sorry if this is a silly question, like I said I'm new.  Thanks!

Sabers I Own: Scorpion - Emerald Driver and V4 sound
Dominix LE V4 - Guardian Blue stunt saber
Manticore CE - SRD w/V4 sound
Crimson Scorpion - Emerald Driver and V4 sound (raffle prize)
Shock LE - Tri Fire Orange w/V4 sound
Aeon v4 - Blazing Red (raffle prize)
Archon v3 - Tri GB w/V4 sound
Graflex SE - GB w/V4 sound (raffle prize)
Manticore - AB w/V4 sound (raffle prize)
Emperor's Hand - Diamond
Crimson Reaper - Emerald w/V3 sound (raffle prize)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: