Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Liberator Arctic Blue Review  (Read 6490 times)
Ex Nihilus
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -25

« on: April 14, 2011, 09:44:35 PM »

Hey Ultra Sabers forums!

Although I have lurked around the forums for a while now, this is my very first post. But what better way to make my first post, than with a review of my first Ultra Sabers lightsaber!

As someone on a budget, I decided to go ahead and order a grab bag saber to see what I could score. In truth, I was very undecided about which hilt to order… I really like them all, especially the Liberator and the Redemption! And picking a color… oh boy that was another challenge altogether! I think all of the colors are great… but I really like Guardian Blue and Arctic Blue. Anyway, I had a tough time deciding, so I figured I’d order the grab bag to see what I could get.

So last week I ordered my grab bag. I specified that I would like a metal hilt, since I like the “authentic look” that it gives the saber. I took advantage of the discounted blade price for the grab bag sabers and ordered an ultra edge heavy grade blade along with it.

After ordering, I received my shipping confirmation a day and a half later! Ultrasabers doesn’t mess around! It took a grand total of one week from my original order date for my saber to reach me. I live in Indiana, and I selected the standard UPS ground shipping method.

I was at work that day, and I couldn’t wait to get home because I knew my saber would be waiting for me there. Sure enough, when I got home there was a long box on my porch! I took it inside, ready to shred it open. All the while my wife is scrambling around for the camera, since she knew how excited I was to get my first saber. I was so anxious to see what I got from the grab bag! And wouldn’t you know it, the side of the box I opened first was the blade! I still couldn’t see the hilt. So I pulled it from the box, and there it was… a shiny new Liberator! I ripped it out from the plastic wrap, turned it on, and there it was, glowing in Arctic Blue! Epic win from the grab bag, I got exactly what I wanted! Let’s talk about this thing…

The Liberator Hilt

The hilt is 11.5 inches long. It is 1.25 inches wide at its widest sections on the top and bottom. The middle section is concave, and is 1 inch wide. This makes this saber easy to wield one-handed or two-handed. This thing is beautiful. The aluminum gives it the authentic look and feel that people want. There is nothing “cheesy” or “toy-looking” about this saber! The hilt itself is not very heavy, and yet it feels extremely durable in my hands. The grooves in the pommel, handle, and emitter help to give the saber a very elegant design. Its not cluttered by any means, and at the same time it feels like it doesn’t need much of anything to be “perfect.” However, if you’d like to customize it, you would have plenty of customization options; from o-rings in the grooves, or rubber grips on the bottom section of the handle. The emitter is simply amazing and is easily my favorite part of this saber. The precision smithing with the grooves and the holes that let the light through keeps the overall design simple and elegant looking. The pommel screws off easily enough to access the batteries, yet remains firmly in place while spinning the saber all over the place.

The LED and Electronics

The Arctic Blue LED is BRIGHT!!! I had heard about how bright Ultra Sabers’ colors were, but even I was surprised by how bright this thing is! As you can see from one of my pictures, I first lit it up in an already well-lit room, and I could see the color clearly! Since it lit up so well in a bright room, I couldn’t wait to try it out when it was dark. Once again, it looks simply amazing. You really have to see it in person to truly appreciate how great it looks. The Arctic Blue looks great and can be seen in anything but direct sunlight.

My saber is powered by 4 AAA batteries. It did come with batteries, even though I did not request any (Nice little add-in US!). Right now I’m just using some regular disposable batteries. I need to order to AAA Eneloops for this thing. I have some AA Eneloops already, and I love them, so I look forward to the AAA’s. The power button on the saber is very nice. I especially like how it is guarded from my hand or fingers bumping into it and accidentally turning it off while spinning or dueling.

The Ultra Edge Heave Grade Blade

The UEHG blade is about 1 inch wide and is 36 inches long. Just by looking at it, you can tell its durable. Its made to bend and flex a bit on impact, yet remain strong! I have already hit myself in the head and leg a few times (as well as the ceiling fan, the coffee table, the chair, the floor, etc), and the thing is solid… and did I mention it can kinda hurt? Because it is the UEHG blade, it is heavy! With the blade attached to the hilt, the balance point is about 5 inches from the end of the emitter. While this does make the saber a bit top-heavy, I don’t really mind. It gives the saber some real momentum while swinging and spinning. I’m sure you could add a counter balance in the hilt if you wanted to, there is some room in between the battery pack and pommel.

Complaints

I really don’t have anything to complain about with this saber. However, there are some things that people might find fault with. I’ve already mentioned the UEHG blade making things off balance. Like I said, I don’t mind, and it could probably be fixed with a counter weight or a medium grade blade. The other thing I would mention is something that has been mentioned in other reviews already: blade kink. It’s pretty much inevitable. I’ve got mine set up right now so that the blade is not angled in a kinked way, but sits flush on the inside of the emitter opposite of the retention screw. This gives the appearance that the blade simply sits off center by a little bit when viewed from certain angles. I find this solution to be the better compromise of the two options. The thing is, nobody can actually tell unless they get up close and really look it over. MOST PEOPLE WON’T NOTICE!

Overall Rating – 9/10

I seriously love this thing!!! I have wanted a "real" lightsaber for the longest time. It kind of comes with the territory if you're a major Star Wars fan! The Liberator is a great hilt, and the Arctic Blue is simply amazing. If you get a Liberator, you will not be disappointed!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:58:29 PM by Ex Nihilus » Logged

Liberator - Arctic Blue
[||___|___|o__|:|:|

Gulcasa
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 7

The Big Bang Theory :D

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:51:39 PM »

awesome and detailed review Smiley
lovely blade and too bad that there is an small issue on it.. (the kinked blade)
but the best thing about it is.. that youre happy with the whole article Cheesy
and even when this is your first post.. dont let it be the last one Smiley

may the force be with you

and.. Welcome Smiley

(_||||____o|||||_/                                                             )
STANDARD ISSUE BATTLE SABERS!
(_||||____o|||||_\                                                             )

Ex Nihilus
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: -25

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:02:55 PM »

awesome and detailed review Smiley
lovely blade and too bad that there is an small issue on it.. (the kinked blade)
but the best thing about it is.. that youre happy with the whole article Cheesy
and even when this is your first post.. dont let it be the last one Smiley

may the force be with you

and.. Welcome Smiley

Thanks for the welcome. I'll definitely be sticking around the forums. Everyone here seems pretty cool... plus, I plan on getting more sabers!

Like I said, the blade kink, from what I've read from other reviews, is fairly common... especially when the blade is held in by a single retention screw. So I was able to anticipate it before I got my saber. I wasn't really disappointed by it at all... you can hardly even notice! I only mentioned it in my review for others to be aware of when buying a saber.

Liberator - Arctic Blue
[||___|___|o__|:|:|

Darkhorse V
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -56

Darkhorse V | Hunted by Jedi - Hated by Sith

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:28:16 PM »

Nice Signature!  Cheesy

Sabers:.
(__=o=_/PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)
(__=o=_\PYRESTONE SS DARK PROPHECY)

(__=o=_/BLAZING RED PVC PROPHECY)
((_(((_o((_/ADEGAN SILVER SS STANDARD ISSUE)
(_((((_o(_{---PYRESTONE SS RAVEN w/OBSIDIAN)

Jawaslayer4
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 07:17:45 AM »

I was thinking of getting a SI in that color as my first saber but the emitter on the liberator is awesome with arctic blue. I think I might get that instead. Maybe the dark version would look cool.

Darth Paul
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -6

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 12:57:32 PM »

I was thinking of getting a SI in that color as my first saber but the emitter on the liberator is awesome with arctic blue. I think I might get that instead. Maybe the dark version would look cool.

Hey I'm placing an order today for a dark si staff and if you wait just a couple weeks ill post a full review so you can see what it would look like:)

Dark Standard Issue Staff - Arctic Blue

Jawaslayer4
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »

Hey I'm placing an order today for a dark si staff and if you wait just a couple weeks ill post a full review so you can see what it would look like:)

That would be awesome! I think both of them would look cool in that color. Can't wait to see the pics.

Vetinari
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 09:00:11 PM »

Thats convinced me, my next saber is going to be a liberator... In fire orange methinks for that portal gun look. The cake is a lie!

War Glaive - Guardian Blue
Liberator - Fire Orange
Prophecy - Adegan Silver
Asajj Ventress Force FX

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 09:59:25 PM »

Glad you like your saber. As the owner of a Dark Liberator, I can attest to the awesomeness of the Liberator series. Although mine is a V2, yours seems to be a V1, which I find interesting...

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 12:39:28 PM »

I've been itching to get a green liberator... but I have two green sabers already so I can't bring myself to do it haha.  Great review though, very educational.

andilynnwoods
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -3

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »

Whoa love that color Hahaha great review!! My grab bag comes in today I can't wait to see what it is !!! Smiley

MY SABERS                            FRIENDS SABERS
Ancient Bane: Artic Blue          Dominix V1: Blazing Red 
Initiate V2 LE: Consular Green Phantom V2: Red/Blue
Initiate V2 LE: Gaurdian Blue   Initiate V2 LE: Blazing Red
Aeon: Artic Blue                      Initiate V2 LE: Gaurdian Blue

sjorsjo91
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 9

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 06:52:20 AM »

Great looking saber. i have anakins in the same color. it really is a vibrant blue color.

Custom Dominix
Custom TFU2 Promo
Custom SI Yoshimitsu
Custom Starkiller (destroyed)
Anakin UltraFX stunt

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: