Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
Author Topic: Costume buying guide  (Read 177909 times)
mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #210 on: September 02, 2020, 07:02:06 PM »

Here is the collection of parts that I have come up with so far.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ImBwxsW8_5mfrtkOx4JGqYumdXHGyH1z?usp=sharing

The gauntlets (minus the fins and with some mods) and shoulder armor would be done in EVA Foam

The 2 masks are interesting. I'd further mod and repaint the Gray Fox mask to separate it from its origin.

The undercoat would be worn like the long tabards that Vader has in his costume with a utility belt (again...like Vader)

I would further add a Vader-esque cape and a hood that would attach between the layers of the shoulder armor.

I'm still looking for base layers and anything below the belt....So any ideas there would be welcome.

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #211 on: September 02, 2020, 07:19:04 PM »

Here is the collection of parts that I have come up with so far.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ImBwxsW8_5mfrtkOx4JGqYumdXHGyH1z?usp=sharing

The gauntlets (minus the fins and with some mods) and shoulder armor would be done in EVA Foam

The 2 masks are interesting. I'd further mod and repaint the Gray Fox mask to separate it from its origin.

The undercoat would be worn like the long tabards that Vader has in his costume with a utility belt (again...like Vader)

I would further add a Vader-esque cape and a hood that would attach between the layers of the shoulder armor.

I'm still looking for base layers and anything below the belt....So any ideas there would be welcome.
One thing I try to dissuade is using components with logos on them, or things that are easily recognized. Like the Batman gauntlets.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #212 on: September 03, 2020, 02:44:50 AM »

but your names is…

I plan on heavily modding the gauntlets (plus no batty fins) they are just a jumping off point.

logos like the brestplate wouldget sanded primed and repainted and weathered. maybe some extra greebliies. good points though. thanks

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #213 on: September 22, 2020, 03:23:35 PM »

Looking to start my gauntlet build. Does 2 layers of 3mm foam sound flimsy? Recommendations? Base layer of 10mm with 2-3mm for detail?  The pattern I have suggests 2, 3mm layers.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2020, 03:04:45 AM »

the two layers of 3mm may be a bit thin.
I'd more likely go with a base of 6mm, with 2-3mm for details

At least that's how I started my and my son's Mando bracers

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2020, 03:27:19 AM »

Looking to start my gauntlet build. Does 2 layers of 3mm foam sound flimsy? Recommendations? Base layer of 10mm with 2-3mm for detail?  The pattern I have suggests 2, 3mm layers.

I'm with Therion, it does sound kind of thin with only 3mm for the base. On all the Eva foam armor and projects I've always gone with a minimum of 5-6mm for the base alone. Just adds a lot of structure, makes it seem more substantial and realistic when you're wearing it.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #216 on: September 27, 2020, 01:50:45 AM »

That's what I thought too. pictures looked a bit anemic.

I will use the design as a base and shape but go with some ideas of my own.

When I get to the helmet, I'm going with a cross between evil Ted's space marine design crossed with Darth Vindicans helm. But gauntlets first…

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

cwfox9
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 13

Light Side Jedi

« Reply #217 on: September 27, 2020, 01:59:29 AM »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cosplaysky-Adult-Hooded-Outfit-Costume/dp/B00XVX3NN4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=cosplaysky&qid=1601169744&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1 

Does anyone have opinions/experience with the above Jedi costume, want something decent as a start point

Appreciate the help

Lightsabers

Crimson Fallen - Fire Orange w Silver FOC, V4 Sound, Extra Dorinian Pommel
Sentinel V4 - Blazing Red, Stunt - Mystery Box
Initiate V3 - Adegan Silver, Stunt - Free Initiate

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #218 on: September 27, 2020, 02:47:44 AM »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cosplaysky-Adult-Hooded-Outfit-Costume/dp/B00XVX3NN4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=cosplaysky&qid=1601169744&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1 

Does anyone have opinions/experience with the above Jedi costume, want something decent as a start point

Appreciate the help

Hi cwfox0,

I recently purchased this exact same costume but I bought direct from Cosplaysky's site. It is a good starter costume to modify. The tunic isn't as bleached white as it looks in the product photos - it has a biscuit like sand colour to it. The material is a nice single layer medium weight linen that will look great when it ages (or if you weather it yourself) The "inner tunic" is a length of material that is stitched to the inside of the tunic collar and wraps around to form a mock inner garment. The tunic itself isn't lined but depending on where you're located that may be good or bad. The pants are regular straight legged and have zip front and button fastening, pockets and belt loops. The tabbards and Obi sash are nice and double thickness. The Obi has velcro strips to close it. The tabbards are a good length (in relation to the tunic) but do need securing to the tunic either by permanent sewing in place or as I did, sew press snap fasteners on the shoulders of the tunic and the underside of the tabbards to prevent them sliding off your shoulders. The cloak is lightweight polyester and non-lined, but again this could be a plus or minus. It hangs well and actually looks better than I thought. The pleather belt and pouch probably will need replacing with a more substantial one if you're gonna hang a saber off it. I am 6ft tall and slim build but the Men's Large size fitted me well.

There were a few "unfinished" threads that needed trimming, nothing serious, it will need a few tweaks but as I said at the start I think this makes a good base to start from. Hope this helps.

cwfox9
Knight Sergeant

Light Side Jedi

« Reply #219 on: September 27, 2020, 11:20:27 AM »

Hi cwfox0,

I recently purchased this exact same costume but I bought direct from Cosplaysky's site. It is a good starter costume to modify. The tunic isn't as bleached white as it looks in the product photos - it has a biscuit like sand colour to it. The material is a nice single layer medium weight linen that will look great when it ages (or if you weather it yourself) The "inner tunic" is a length of material that is stitched to the inside of the tunic collar and wraps around to form a mock inner garment. The tunic itself isn't lined but depending on where you're located that may be good or bad. The pants are regular straight legged and have zip front and button fastening, pockets and belt loops. The tabbards and Obi sash are nice and double thickness. The Obi has velcro strips to close it. The tabbards are a good length (in relation to the tunic) but do need securing to the tunic either by permanent sewing in place or as I did, sew press snap fasteners on the shoulders of the tunic and the underside of the tabbards to prevent them sliding off your shoulders. The cloak is lightweight polyester and non-lined, but again this could be a plus or minus. It hangs well and actually looks better than I thought. The pleather belt and pouch probably will need replacing with a more substantial one if you're gonna hang a saber off it. I am 6ft tall and slim build but the Men's Large size fitted me well.

There were a few "unfinished" threads that needed trimming, nothing serious, it will need a few tweaks but as I said at the start I think this makes a good base to start from. Hope this helps.

That does help as everything else i've seen either doesn't look great or is a lot more expensive. Any recommendations on the belt and boots?

Lightsabers

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #220 on: September 27, 2020, 11:34:26 AM »

I posted all of my costume elements with links to where I purchased on another thread (show us your jedi costume…or something like that). The belt and boots may interest you. If you want upgraded pants try dockers d2 chinos…Ewan wore them on set.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #221 on: September 27, 2020, 11:36:04 AM »

That does help as everything else i've seen either doesn't look great or is a lot more expensive. Any recommendations on the belt and boots?

Hi cwfox9, I am currently looking for a decent belt and pouches as we speak. The problem is the same with the belt as it is with the costume, you can buy a cheaper Pleather belt but it may not last as long as a quality real Veg Tan Leather belt.
However I did buy a pair of boots from an equestrian supply company that provides equipment for polo teams. They sell Star Wars inspired boots and actually make Qui-Gon Jinn replica boots (as well as other characters + generic Jedi boots) which set me back $300 - however the boots are so good I can use them for my outfit and for everyday use if I need to. The company is called Gladiator-Polo (US based) if you want to check them out.

It comes down to what you can afford, how often you're going to wear them and the level of quality you want.

cwfox9
Knight Sergeant

Light Side Jedi

« Reply #222 on: September 27, 2020, 12:53:25 PM »

I posted all of my costume elements with links to where I purchased on another thread (show us your jedi costume…or something like that). The belt and boots may interest you. If you want upgraded pants try dockers d2 chinos…Ewan wore them on set.

I found a similar belt on the UK side to what you previously posted so appreciate the help. I've found a few boots however it seems most cut off before my foot size

Hi cwfox9, I am currently looking for a decent belt and pouches as we speak. The problem is the same with the belt as it is with the costume, you can buy a cheaper Pleather belt but it may not last as long as a quality real Veg Tan Leather belt.
However I did buy a pair of boots from an equestrian supply company that provides equipment for polo teams. They sell Star Wars inspired boots and actually make Qui-Gon Jinn replica boots (as well as other characters + generic Jedi boots) which set me back $300 - however the boots are so good I can use them for my outfit and for everyday use if I need to. The company is called Gladiator-Polo (US based) if you want to check them out.

It comes down to what you can afford, how often you're going to wear them and the level of quality you want.

Appreciate the help, I'm not looking at the moment at anything serious, more mess around and possible go to a con so those boots are a bit steep for me.

Lightsabers

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #223 on: September 27, 2020, 01:01:36 PM »

Appreciate the help, I'm not looking at the moment at anything serious, more mess around and possible go to a con so those boots are a bit steep for me.

Hi, I totally understand about the boots I got but Mrs Tyeth persuaded me that they were an investment as well as part of my cosplay.

I do know somebody who bought a pair of Darth Maul boots from I think it was EZ-Cosplay and they didn't look too bad, Cosplaysky also have similar boots and the ones that mrg149 linked to look decent for the price if you are just using them on convention days.

If you are struggling to find your size in boots you could look at getting an ordinary pair and making boot covers to give them a Star Wars look.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #224 on: October 12, 2020, 06:35:44 PM »

My gauntlet templates are looking about ready for phase 2....transfer to card stock

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: