Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down
Author Topic: Costume buying guide  (Read 177962 times)
TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2020, 09:00:41 PM »

My gauntlet templates are looking about ready for phase 2....transfer to card stock

WOW!

These look spectacular, mrg!  I can't wait to see the end result  Smiley

Point!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #226 on: October 13, 2020, 02:35:32 AM »

too kind! They look more impressive than they are. IIt's ll flat and the printed detail makes it look better. I'm trying to figure out if I need to cut the tops on a bevel instead of a straight cut. The detail suggests it, no?

what do y'all think?

6mm foam for base gauntlet with 3mm cuffs and 10mm for top portion?

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #227 on: October 18, 2020, 11:59:54 PM »

10 mm might be a little much for the top. 6 would likely be enough on top of the base 6

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #228 on: October 19, 2020, 02:00:22 AM »

looking at the references I have for the "virtual" version of the bracers, the top "shield shaped" areahad a bit of height to it. So, I'm just guessing on foam sizes. I guess f I dont like the results, I can always raffle the off to one of you and try again ;-)

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #229 on: October 19, 2020, 06:25:49 PM »

10 mm might be a little much for the top. 6 would likely be enough on top of the base 6
looking at the references I have for the "virtual" version of the bracers, the top "shield shaped" areahad a bit of height to it. So, I'm just guessing on foam sizes. I guess f I dont like the results, I can always raffle the off to one of you and try again ;-)
Mrg,
While I have absolutely ZERO experience with fabrication, I would HIGHLY suggest that you listen to/get ahold of Therion Jinn (he's done plenty of fabrications, all incredible to look at; point of fact, you can see some examples in this very forum  Smiley).

Regardless: good luck and looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #230 on: October 19, 2020, 07:04:35 PM »

These are the references I am using to create the bracers. I figured that the top just needed to be larger...but if the man says 6mm....then I trust the man!

I think I am going to add the Sith Eternal Logo to the center of the circle area. Lights....not sure I'm capable of that...yet...

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

« Reply #231 on: October 20, 2020, 02:01:44 AM »

Looking at these pics, 10mm would definitely be too much. Maybe as much as 8mm, but I think 10 would still be overkill

May want to bevel the edges on those top pieces to get the right look

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #232 on: October 20, 2020, 02:26:51 AM »

Well, I went ahead and ordered some eva foam rrolls n 6,4&2mm to get started.

I've been back and forth on the bevel when looking at the pics and had rresolved at least to run a dremel over the edges to round them a little. I think the bevel itself would be slight. I dunno...just a noob at this & gonna give it the old college try.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

« Reply #233 on: October 24, 2020, 07:17:54 PM »

mrg149
One of the best reasons to learn in foam is that it's not all that expensive when compared to some cosplay materials.

There is also a plethora of video on YouTube showing ways to work with is.
(Trust me on this, it's how I learned a lot of what I know now.)

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #234 on: October 25, 2020, 03:23:33 AM »

YouTube is becoming my best mentor so far…evil ted shhould just call himself evil genius…I digress. So materials are delivered and I need a couple of tools (heat gun and wood burner) then I begin. perhaps I'll do a WIP thread

Thanks Therion and all for your tutoring!

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

« Reply #235 on: October 25, 2020, 03:15:58 PM »

No worries, mrg149
Happy to help any way I can.

the 'Much Props' and 'OdinMakes' channels can be very helpful as well

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #236 on: October 29, 2020, 03:09:46 AM »

These are the references I am using to create the bracers. I figured that the top just needed to be larger...but if the man says 6mm....then I trust the man!

I think I am going to add the Sith Eternal Logo to the center of the circle area. Lights....not sure I'm capable of that...yet...

llet's ay i was crazy and wanted to create the lights in the top plicture…and I have no knowledge of electrical things.
How could I go about doing this?

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

« Reply #237 on: October 31, 2020, 08:51:43 PM »

EL tape might be best. This is what they used for the suits in Tron:Legacy.
Then you could mask the pattern in electrical tape

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #238 on: October 31, 2020, 11:25:02 PM »

EL tape might be best. This is what they used for the suits in Tron:Legacy.
Then you could mask the pattern in electrical tape

omg! just looked that up and it is a sick suggestion! I need to figure out how to do this! Thanks Therion, you are an invaluable resource on this forum!

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2020, 04:25:42 AM »

Glad I could help, mrg149.
Can't say I have experience with it, though

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: