Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: anyone ever played SWG??  (Read 3712 times)
Genkaku Sho`shyk
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 141

only the force, nothing more, nothing less

« on: December 27, 2012, 05:37:53 AM »

imagine if they took the game star wars galaxies and gave it the physics and graphics of SW:TOR... i personally think it would be the Greatest game of all time......sry, but i played star wars galaxies back when it first came out up to the first update that made it a long road to becoming a force sensitive player.. from a random chance when you created your character..... one of the reasons behind my thoughts was that in SWG the jedi AND sith players hunted each other as well as were both hunted mercilessly by bounty hunter players... and in SWG.. jedi and sith, had one life.... there was a system for actual social networking within the game, you could build towns, run them.. be voted in as Governor.. i wont go to much farther into details.. as it would take nearly a month of typing for me to thoroughly explain just what SWG was capable of in the long haul had they done right by it.. and not given it of to soe...SOE.. killed SWG outright....

PS.. the main pull of SWG was its leveling system... many sub classes that you had to actually do the skills or work or fighting style in order to gain exp for that class... a doctor had to heal, and craft medical, supplies.. fighters had to use their weapon types.. gunners had to use their blaster types... jedi had to used their lightsaber to earn saber exp.. and use their force skills to earn force exp... when this was done, they could be seen by player bounty hunter made drones and then hunted down and killed... yes.. killed, and have thier lightsaber end up on a bounty hunters trophy wall, in their personal home.. on what ever planet in the starwars univers was in the game... that is why a jedi was so hard.. yet so powerful ... AND the sith players lived up to their movie rights...

its was an amazingly well made game.. had they just done a few minor bug fixes.. and listen to the gamer community... it had potential to overthrow wow before wow even had a chance to get off the ground... yes i said it.... if you played during the start up to the NGE... then quite like myself, and MILLIONS in hours.... logged out, and never logged into their game again.... it was that bad guys.. if you played, you know....

but i digress... back to the point i started at.. if the 2 games were merged in the right way it would be the most incredible game  to accurately depict SW life in my personal opinion..now.. your comments and opinions please ^.^ and for the record im talking about pre NGE SWG.. nuff said

Shaugi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -13

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 12:32:52 PM »

I was on Gorath server for the last 2 and a bit years...so missed all the earlier stuff.

There's an NGE EMU available but I've not tried it...and I'm not sure of the legailities of it.

Solinus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -209

Black Star Sabers

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 07:40:45 PM »

I played SWG when it first came out. The first expansion, Jump to Lightspeed, was awesome. What I enjoyed about the game was the lack of a leveling system. You chose a class and then as you gained XP it went into a branch of your class tree. Trials of Obi-wan came out after I left and completely changed the game. I tried to play again after that point and I was horrified by what SOE did to it. I hated it at that point.

SWTOR is a much better game in my opinion, but still has a lot of work to do.

Control your fear. Give in to your hate. Let it guide you along the path and soon you shall find yourself... home.

**Dark Side points appreciated.**

Genkaku Sho`shyk
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 07:52:09 PM »

the one true thing SWG needed to be the ultimate star wars game was the graphics of swtor, and allow all players to become force sensitive with the crazy long hard quest at the end game ....

other wise all other expansions and changes can go to hell lol

oh and.. NO ONE starts as a jedi... you must EARN the right to wield the power of the force.. lmao

Solinus
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -209

Black Star Sabers

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 08:45:31 PM »

You can't do this though... think about the time period that SWG takes place in. It's during the time of the original trilogy. Palpatine and Vader were following the Rule of Two. One master and one apprentice. The Jedi were hunted like dogs, and very few remained. You can't have hundreds of Jedi/Sith running around in the time period. It would go against everything we knew as Star Wars. I actually agreed with no Force Sensitives in that game. When the Trials of Obi-wan expansion came out, you were able to start the game as a Force Sensitive character. That was totally not cool.

That's why I like SWTOR. The time period of The Old Republic fits. You can be a Jedi or a Sith. There were thousands. You can be a part of the the Crime Lords as a Bounty Hunter or Smuggler. Oh, and above all... NO DANCERS!

Control your fear. Give in to your hate. Let it guide you along the path and soon you shall find yourself... home.

**Dark Side points appreciated.**

Genkaku Sho`shyk
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 12:32:43 AM »

awww dancers were just as integral a part of the battles as any jedi...

**sith enter battlefield...

**dancer walks out.. does a little jig and the sith is all weak in the kness... lmao!!!... kidding

Shaugi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -13

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 01:35:20 AM »

I ran 2 accounts so I could have an ENT to buff my main acct toons whenever I wanted lol

Genkaku Sho`shyk
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 01:50:06 PM »

ok so.. i have been thinking really hard on this.. and i have to revise my statement on swg and swtor being combined.. in all honesty... if they redid some work on swtor.. with no lvling system.. but more skill tree systems.. (and im darn sure they could make a really good one) it would be that much better of a game.. im more so just debating this thought.. not trying to get a big discussion.. lol, i just remember the towns that were made and run by players.. and the fact that majority of the game was run and maintained by a player based community... well thoes are my thoughts.. there are lot of games out there that have the potential... to be some of the most amazing games, if people would just let them be finished ... before tossing them out there... and if there is one thing i will never forgive lucus arts for.. its handing the helm of SWG development over to SOE... thank you SOE for killing one of MY most treasured games of all time...

on another note, there ARE several PRE-CU swgemu out there and yes it is fully legal for these groups to work on it as they are all..
here is a FAQ from one of the main groups working on it....

Q. What is SWGEmu?

A. SWGEmu is an acronym/abbreviation for Star Wars Galaxies Emulator.

Star Wars Galaxies is a massively multi-player online role playing game introduced by Sony Online Entertainment in the year 2003. It is the game this project focuses to recreate at a specific milestone referred to as Pre-CU, or Pre-Combat Upgrade. The Combat Upgrade was a set of game changes which radically changed the game-play, to the dislike of thousands of players. These changes led to the founding of this project, in an attempt to "recreate" the game as it was during the Pre-CU era.
    Emulator can be defined as "to try to equal or excel; imitate with effort to equal or surpass" (Dictionary.com). At SWGEmu, Emulator refers to the software the SWGEmu team is building. This Emulator is meant to imitate Sony Online Entertainment's server-side software, which hosted the galaxies of Star Wars Galaxies during the Pre-CU era.

Q. Does SWGEmu use any of Sony Online Entertainment's code?

A. The absolute and short answer is no. Every bit of code developed at the SWGEmu project has been written from scratch by freelance developer's committing their time and effort to the SWGEmu project without the benefit of financial gain.

Q. Has SWGEmu ever seen Sony Online Entertainment's code?

A. Absolutely not. In fact, Sony Online Entertainment persists that they have lost the code entirely. Not only does this make it impossible for SWGEmu to utilize the code as reference if Sony Online Entertainment was kind enough to grant permission to do so, but it makes it impossible for Sony Online Entertainment to release classic Pre-CU servers to rival what SWGEmu aims to accomplish.

Q. How does SWGEmu develop the software without Sony Online Entertainment's code?

A. SWGEmu's software is written through a process known as Reverse Engineering. By applying the Scientific Method, SWGEmu's developers observe game-play, and then attempt to recreate it's experience through programming.

Q. What about the application I install from the discs I purchased from Sony Online Entertainment?

A. When you install and connect to a SWGEmu server with this application, you are doing so by your own accord. SWGEmu cannot condone the usage of the Sony Online Entertainment client application with it's server software, and users should be warned that they are in breach of the Sony Online Entertainment EULA when they do so.

Q. What is a client application?

A. In this case, the client application is the application you purchased from Sony Online Entertainment. It is basically an interface for you to interact with server software, like what SWGEmu is writing. Think of the client application like a web browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox. While a web browser is capable of providing an interface to interact with web pages, it doesn't actually provide those web pages. Web servers provide the web pages with which the web browser then allows it's user to interact. Likewise, Sony Online Entertainment's client application provides an interface for user's to interact with a server.

Q. Does SWGEmu provide its own client application, so that I don't have to use Sony Online Entertainment's client to connect to the server?

A. Yes, actually, SWGEmu has a Core3Client, which is available on the open-source SVN repository. However, it should be noted that this client does not have a graphical interface, and can only be used via the command line. There are plans to eventually build a client application with a graphical interface, but such will probably not become a reality until after the release of version 1.0 of the SWGEmu server software.

Q. If SWGEmu writes all of it's own code, why does the game feel so much like Sony Online Entertainment's version?

A. This is the objective of the project - Imitating an exact replica of Star Wars Galaxies at the era of Pre-CU. This simply is testament to the fact that the SWGEmu developers are doing a fantastic job writing code which emulates the same game Sony Online Entertainment once provided. Furthermore, if you are using Sony Online Entertainment's client application to connect to an SWGEmu server, then this will only reinforce the nostalgic feel.

Q. Is SWGEmu legal?

A. This question pops up about once per month on our forums, but the never changing answer is simply, yes. Understand, there is a fine line which SWGEmu has yet to cross. Since SWGEmu doesn't distribute any of Sony Online Entertainment's copyrighted material, it does not break any copyright laws. SWGEmu works very hard to stay within it's legal right to produce it's software, and will do it's best to never include copyrighted materials, or infringe on any software patents.

i do hope this was helpful to others on this site... as i can assure you i will be doing what i can to get this swgemu information.... and i will keep this thread updated on its progress fr those that miss it enough to be thrilled to have the opportunity to play it again

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: