Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: saber staff length  (Read 28534 times)
Master BStone
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 22

« on: April 18, 2011, 06:02:26 AM »

Greetings All...
to any and all saber staff practitioners out there...what length blade do you folks find the most effective for your saber staffs? is the 24 inch initiate blade sufficient? both in terms of maneuverability and economy of movement...

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 06:24:25 AM »

I don't own a saber staff(yet), but the general consensus around here seems to be 32."

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 06:24:37 AM »

I prefer a blade that US makes especially for the saber staffs which is shorter than a regular blade, but still long enough that you can use the sabers seperately and not only as a staff.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Talon
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:23:38 AM »

For myself, I've adapted to the length of the Darth Maul in staff form. (7ft, 4in). You really need to base if off of your height. You can't go wrong with the initiate size. My Phantom with 32's will be coming in this week...so I'll swing it around some and post back here with some more thoughts on the subject.

Arsenal:
Bane-Sunrider's Destiny (Cyan)

Master BStone
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 04:01:52 PM »

thanx very much everyone...i've had some bo staff training, and i have one in 6ft oak that i swing around some...and it feels quite alright, but a two-bladed sword is a bit different methinks...i was leaning towards the 32incher but i'm not sure. 

ShadowKatt
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 06:22:59 PM »

I just put in an order for a silver SI saberstaff today, so I'll have one to practice with. I'm not much for staffs, but it's good to learn all you can.

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 07:57:39 PM »

Another reason to go with a staff is that they're the same price or lower than 2 seperate ultrasabers (how do they do that!? it is a mystery)  and you can connect them if you like.

One draw back though: the screw in piece on the connector is usually very sharp in my experience. has anyone else cut themselves on that?

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

Talon
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 08:56:20 AM »

I haven't cut myself so far with my Phantom. Flows pretty well actually. Feels a lil weird swinging the 32's when you are use to Maul length though. Smiley

Arsenal:
Bane-Sunrider's Destiny (Cyan)

Master BStone
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »

sounds good...i dont think i'll have to much trouble with ground clearance...thankfully its spring in cleveland, so theres a darn good chance i might be swinging my staff around outside finally. now...what color to go with...Smiley

Duff Man
The Double Triple X 4 + Fish OG of Randomness Version 2.7 of part 9 = Bacon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -358

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 08:25:08 AM »

thanx very much everyone...i've had some bo staff training, and i have one in 6ft oak that i swing around some...and it feels quite alright, but a two-bladed sword is a bit different methinks...i was leaning towards the 32incher but i'm not sure.  
I am used to a 6 ft Bo myself and have 32 inchers on my staff, it is not that much of a difference. If your used to holding/using your Bo in thirds the only "major" things you have to adjust are blocking with the middle section( theoretically it would be sliced in half..."Darth maul")and grabbing the outer 2/3 (no more hands).  As for the color Idea you could be like me and go the REAL DORKY route, get on Wookiepedia and match your personality with either Guardian, Counsular, Sentinel( if Jedi), Sith or just pick your favorite color. Oh and It is never Spring In North East Ohio (Canton here) Just winter and Rain. lol
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:39:15 AM by Duff Man » Logged

Ultra Saber SI Staff:Guardian Blue
Ultra Saber Redemption:SRD
Ultra Saber Dominix V2 LE:Dark VA
MR Construction Kit:RGB

Master BStone
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 04:22:47 PM »

i hear that.  i've adjusted what i know to using my bo in the middle; i marked my bo with electrical tape where the hilt would "end."  also i turned lateral blocks into diagonal ones, so as to interpose the blade rather than the hilt.   theres some interesting chinese polearm techniques i've been trying to incorporate as well.  i've pretty much settled on consular green.

as to the weather in ohio...well, it was nice yesterday. lol.

Novastar
Disgraced
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 110

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »

If it helps anyone, the stunt + sound staff I built for myself (generally a 1.25" OD for the entire length) works like this:

17.5" hilt length
29" of blades protrude on either side (which means they are probably 31" or 32" blades?  Didn't check)

Total length is then 75.5", or 6.29 feet long.

Additionally, the staff is VERY lightweight (waaaaaay lighter than the original MRFX Maul), and it is not able to be separated into two blades (I didn't desire that anyhow).  Also, it actually can be used as a single saber, although it's not something I do very often.

Creator of the "BALANCE OF POWER" live staged-combat shows
Licensed & experienced sabre fencing instructor
Sound font engineer for "Crystal Focus" & Obsidian
Creator of the NSCFCDs (CF Sound CDs)
Co-Founder of Golden Gate Knights (SF)
Co-Creator of NCSCS (Nova & Caine's Saber Combat System)

Master BStone
Resident Master
Knight Ensign

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 09:00:11 PM »

very interesting Nova, i'd been contemplating an 18 inch hilt, or two initiate hilts with 32 inch blades.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 12:12:57 PM »

I've seen some people here heavily recommend the shorter Initiate staves due to their maneuverability, although I personally like the standard 32" blades that come with the regular staves.  It's also kind of nice when you separate them, since the shorter blades are a bit easier to dual wield.

Darth Paul
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -6

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 07:33:39 PM »

Well I just got my staff in yesterday and its the sstandard issue with the initiate blades. Its at 5 foot 8... and me being 5 foot 2 its easy to manage and spin great! And arctic blue looks great on dark standard by the way:)

Dark Standard Issue Staff - Arctic Blue

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: