Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Aeon or Initiate?  (Read 1379 times)
philophobe
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: April 19, 2011, 09:04:18 PM »

I'm a fencer (so makashi user, amirite?) that uses epees, foils and sabers. This means one-handed fighting for me with many thrusts (especially disabling arm taps, which requires precision) and some cuts. The fencing sword's hilts are usually between 7 to 8 inches in length by never longer. I'm thinking of getting either an initiate (whose hilt is 8.5" ish) or the Aeon (10.5"). The blade length would be no question, 32" because it seems more practical. I am to buy a heavy grade blade.

Considering that these sabers (especially in HG) will be much heavier than your regular sport fencing blades, would the longer Aeon be better than the Initiate for one-handed balance? How does the weight balance of HG blades compare with the mass "real" sabers and rapiers?

I've heard much about how Aeon's are best for one-handed or even how the concave groove offered by the Liberator gives good control, but the Aeon and the Initiate are the same except for their length and I've never been able to find a comparison. Any clue on what is good?

Rintor
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »

In Caine's post (http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=390.0) he says, "My advice: Use a simple, lightweight aluminum hilt for those precise strikes...maybe like an Initiate because it's a little shorter with a longer blade. Of course, a Dominix, Liberator or Redemption will work well, too."

So, I'm betting you might want an Initiate with a 32" blade.

"In half an hour I can put together a strike team of twenty soldiers, capable of succeeding at any mission, under any circumstances, anywhere in the galaxy." ― General Crix Madine

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:09:15 PM »

I'd honestly go with the Aeon. Three reasons: 1) I had an Aeon, which I used to use one handed occasionally and had no problem. It was comfortable and easy to control. 2) With the HG blade, the weight will balance out better than the Initiate most likely. I remember someone on here bought an Initiate with 32" blades, and thought it was awkward. 3) At just under 12" long, The Aeon has A LOT more hilt room, which will come in handy if you ever need to use it two handed.

Also, it's a bit more pricey, but you might want to look into a Prophecy. It's right in between the two, length wise, at 10.5," is great for one and two handed wielding, and everyone who has one on here raves about theirs.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

philophobe
Force Sensitive

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:30:57 PM »

I had been thinking about the prophecy as my second saber (red, as in going dark side). But it does look kind of thick and unwieldy as a one-handed saber. Thoughts?

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 11:35:35 PM »

From what I heard, the Prophecy is very good for one handed wielding.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Gulcasa
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 7

The Big Bang Theory :D

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 11:46:51 PM »

Aeon or Initiate.. I don't know.. I would choose the Aeon ^^ it looks awesome and somehow Jedi-like Cheesy

(_||||____o|||||_/                                                             )
STANDARD ISSUE BATTLE SABERS!
(_||||____o|||||_\                                                             )

philophobe
Force Sensitive

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 02:51:09 AM »

I've never seen a good jedi go one handed, they're all evil by the time they're on screen.  Grin On that note. Is it possible to order a 32" blade for the prophecy? Seems to only have the 36" option.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: