Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls  (Read 20012 times)
Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 11:05:45 PM »

3. Race?  Argonian, as I just can't help exploring underwater.

That's always been my problem... I like Argonian abilities but I like how the elves look. I always make it a priority to get an item with a water breathing enchantment when I start a new game.

no

reiperx
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 71

Do you serve a purpose or purposely serve?

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 11:53:58 PM »

I respectfully disagree Wink

Try it on a PC and then try to go back to the xbox.

1) the graphics are a lot better
2) the controls are better
3) its modable to actually have even better graphics.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 473

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 03:47:33 AM »

Try it on a PC and then try to go back to the xbox.

1) the graphics are a lot better
2) the controls are better
3) its modable to actually have even better graphics.

True, but I don't have the money for a gaming rig. I'm also just a casual gamer, and don't play video games all that much any more. Heck, I only play Halo nowadays.

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 12:07:52 PM »

True, but I don't have the money for a gaming rig.

A PC is not a "gaming rig". A PC is a working instrument that happens to be also useful for gaming. It's the console that is a gaming device with no other major function. I have no money for a purely entertainment device, but I need a PC for work and study.

BBL AND PROUD! The Expanded Universe - the old, the true, the brave!

Saint
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 211

"Do unto others BEFORE they do unto you..."

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 04:50:46 PM »

In the context of discussing games like Skyrim, especially at graphics qualities that would equal or exceed those of the XBox 360 or PS3, an entry-level PC would not be "useful" for gaming.  That said, today's mid-level PC's can play many older games, i.e. 5+ years, fluidly at full detail. 

It's all personal preference with no right or wrong.  For me, personally  Wink , I'll be jumping at the next-gen console.  As it happened when the XBox 360 and PS3 first came out, the graphical power of the next-gen will typically require a PC costing roughly triple the price of the console.  Admittedly, a year or two after a new console's release, one can usually upgrade their PC's graphics card (to equal or better the consoles' abilities) for a sum comparable to the cost of the console.

I was an ardent PC upgrader for many, many years...until, for me, console visuals were good enough that my comfy recliner and big screen tv were the decision makers.  I also enjoy the standardization/stability that console games enjoy.  I guess I'm getting too old to bother tweaking config.sys and autoexec.bat.   Wink

Seriously though, I respect those who favour PC's for gaming.  I use to be there.  Everyone's preferences and priorities differ, and no one's is wrong.  I'm feeling nostalgic.  Now where did I leave those 5.25-inch floppy's with Microprose's Gunship!.   Cool

Cheers,
Saint

Obsidians in order of acquisition...
Graflex CE;  Guardian;  Dark Monarch Staff;  Consu-Lord CE;  Malice #1;  Archon;  Dark Arbiter;  Overlord;  Graflex SE;  Malice#2;  Shock LE;  Dark Liberator;  Dark Catalyst; Prophecy;  Scorpion

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 06:14:22 PM »

A PC is not a "gaming rig". A PC is a working instrument that happens to be also useful for gaming. It's the console that is a gaming device with no other major function. I have no money for a purely entertainment device, but I need a PC for work and study.

True, but only a gaming rig can handle Skyrim. I have no money for a gaming rig.

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 06:28:41 PM »

In the context of discussing games like Skyrim, especially at graphics qualities that would equal or exceed those of the XBox 360 or PS3, an entry-level PC would not be "useful" for gaming.  That said, today's mid-level PC's can play many older games, i.e. 5+ years, fluidly at full detail.  

I have a plain old laptop, which cost me 7000 rubles (about $200). It can run Skyrim, and I enjoy playing that game on my laptop. It's not top level graphical quality (still better than Oblivion, however), but games like these are enjoyable for their gameplay, not their graphics. That's why old Ultima Underworld is still enjoyable, despite being older than Wolfenstein. I don't have "gaming rigs" and see little sense in them.

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »

I have a plain old laptop, which cost me 7000 rubles (about $200). It can run Skyrim, and I enjoy playing that game on my laptop. It's not top level graphical quality (still better than Oblivion, however), but games like these are enjoyable for their gameplay, not their graphics. That's why old Ultima Underworld is still enjoyable, despite being older than Wolfenstein. I don't have "gaming rigs" and see little sense in them.

Yeah, but if I'm going to play it on a PC, I would expect (and want) high-quality HD graphics. That would be the only reason for wanting to play it on a PC, because I already have it on the Xbox. Graphics don't matter as much as people say they do; that is true. But still, if I'm going to play a game on a different platform when I already own it for another platform, there better be a good reason for doing so. The graphics are the only reason that I can see.

Actually, there are mods as well, but those would lose their appeal pretty quickly for me after the novelty of driving around in a car or something dulls out.

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »

If you think all mods are silly stuff like driving a car, you are very wrong. There are many that do not break the lore in any way, add to the atmosphere and gameplay, and there's a Creation Kit to make your own.

Luna
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 07:25:19 PM »

If you think all mods are silly stuff like driving a car, you are very wrong. There are many that do not break the lore in any way, add to the atmosphere and gameplay, and there's a Creation Kit to make your own.

And there are Unofficial Patches, which are actually essential to completing certain quests in some circumstances.

no

TheHobbitofDune
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 11:01:09 PM »

It was just an example....

And there are Unofficial Patches, which are actually essential to completing certain quests in some circumstances.

Interesting.

Luna
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 12:15:06 AM »

For example, due to a bug it can be impossible to complete the Vampire Cure quest (one of the longest quests in Oblivion) after you have finished the main quest. Which sucks.

no

reiperx
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 71

Do you serve a purpose or purposely serve?

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 01:51:29 AM »

True, but only a gaming rig can handle Skyrim. I have no money for a gaming rig.

Skyrim isn't too harsh on the hardware (not trying to talk you into buy one or anything). Now if you did the HD texture pack that I have running on mine, you'd probably need a high end graphics card.

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 01:58:57 AM »

And, most importantly, TES in not only Skyrim. In fact, it's mainly Morrowind. And any console profanations of Morrowind cannot compare with the real thing.

Saint
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 211

"Do unto others BEFORE they do unto you..."

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 02:07:02 AM »

...any console profanations of Morrowind cannot compare with the real thing.

But Rina, how do you really feel???  Wink

Obsidians in order of acquisition...
Graflex CE;  Guardian;  Dark Monarch Staff;  Consu-Lord CE;  Malice #1;  Archon;  Dark Arbiter;  Overlord;  Graflex SE;  Malice#2;  Shock LE;  Dark Liberator;  Dark Catalyst; Prophecy;  Scorpion

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: