Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Custom Font Question  (Read 16391 times)
Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« on: January 13, 2013, 01:47:01 AM »

So I got all the saber sounds recorded in the kit fisto and general grevious fight, but I'm not sure how to get just the lightsaber sounds done. So any help would be good. Like I'm trying to figure out how to get the power on, off, impacts, swings, and lock ups. So thanks if anyone can help me out with that. I fallowed all of errocks steps though.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 02:46:29 AM »

I need answers by tonight if possible because I got all the recordings I needed. "Hey R-6 where are you? Meet me at the platform!" For the boot. I just don't really know how to time everything else. Like each swing, each impact, lock up, etc. I want to kick in atleast once for free custom sounds and I promise it'll be nice and loud. =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 03:27:09 AM »

I guess I'm just not cut out for this kind of stuff. I haven't had any practice or anything. I can't figure out how to get the timing of Fisto's lightsabers or anything. x.x I wish there was a tutorial on this part.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 04:04:06 AM »

I'm still working on the font. didn't realize how frustrating this all was. I didn't notice too that you guys do one sound at a time. x.x Getting all of the swings and clashes will be hard same with the lock up. I wish the youtube converters were working because then I'd just upload it directly and edit on everything.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 04:50:32 AM »

I could use some more help on this. x.x Everything is still kind of confusing to me. I know how to cancel out noise now but I just don't know. xp You guys seem like pros to me. Like I recorded the entire Fisto and Greivous fight. But I don't know what to do after that. Should I just record each saber sound seperately, is that how you guys do it? My hands just isn't that quick enough. x.x

Jabari
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 57

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 05:55:10 AM »

To quote Obi-Wan, "Patience!"  Smiley

I'm not quite sure what your question is.  Did you record all the sounds as one big file?  If so, you'll need to edit it down into each separate sound.  You can trim the audio clips in Audacity.  Longer sounds (lockup, etc.) can be around 4 seconds long.  Things like clashes should be shorter.

If you haven't played around with the Obsidian Launcher yet, you might want to download one of the free fonts and play with that first.  It'll give you a better idea of what you can do for a sound font.  The spaces for sound files are:

Boot (only heard when replacing batteries or uploading the font)
Power On
Power Off
Idle (the "hum", you want a longer clip)
Motion (swing noises; you can have several, short)
Impact (clash noises; you can have several, short)
Lockup (for flash on clash; should be a longer clip, can have more than one)

I'm no expert either, but I just played around with Audacity until I figured out how to get the sound I wanted.  I loaded it up on the saber, tried it out, and discovered I hated all the motion sounds.  So the Thunderfont is on hold until I can get some better sound clips to play with.  You can't get better until you practice, right?  Good luck!

Darth Sabre
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -216

TPLA Knight instructor

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 07:17:36 AM »

Sorry for replying just now, but it's 9am in Germany now  Grin

You can work with your one big file easily. You'll just have to do the following:

1) listen for a sound you like.
2) try to mark the full sound by drawing your cursor
3) you can edit the beginning and end of your selected sound easily by drawing the edges in the right direction
4) All "effect"-changes you do now will only apply to your selected bit
5) After having modified your clip to your liking, you can use the "export selection"-button, and you will have a clip of only your desired sound extract.
6) listen on and proceed as shown above and you should be fine!

PATIENCE and good luck. Looking forward to your font!

Darth Sabre
Knight Captain

TPLA Knight instructor

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 11:23:27 AM »

OK. Here we go with some illustration:

First: Load your file and check all the settings Eerockk described. MAke sure to adjust the volume now, so you don't have to work on each file afterwards!

Enlarge your view

Mark your sound

Fine-Tunig and Effects

Export your file

NAme your file

Hope I could be of some help!

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 06:22:01 PM »

It'll still be somewhat difficult because Fisto moved so fast in that scene. x.x I kinda get it though but stopping at the right moment will also be hard. Do I save each section I stop at?

Darth Sabre
Knight Captain

TPLA Knight instructor

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 06:27:23 PM »

Believe me, it's not that hard.

You start your big wav in Audacity and look at the waves. If you hear "your" sound, you stop, go in with your curser and mark the area roughly. When you now press play, you'll hear just that extract you have marked. Now you can fine-tune it by pulling the left and right marker (and listening in again) until you have isolated your sound to your liking. Than you put on your effects (and they will only apply on your short extract) and press "Export selection". Than you have saved your sound and can go on in your big file until you hear the next important sound.

And of course: zooming in makes things much easier!

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 06:30:34 PM »

I got the "R-6 I'm at the platform! Where are you?" part for the boot sound. Now to capture his lightsaber sounds. I kinda get it more now. Should be done today sometime hopefully.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 06:34:32 PM »

Got the ignition but it starts at like the 13 minute line. How can I shorten that without losing the saber ignition? Same with the other sounds? Getting closer. Cheesy

Darth Sabre
Knight Captain

TPLA Knight instructor

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 06:41:15 PM »

Do as I wrote above and you will be fine, regardless of where you are in the big file (and you don't ever have to cut something!). Marking the area(left-click, hold, pull, let loose) is the key!

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 06:46:42 PM »

Working on the impacts at the moment. Getting more easier by the second. xp When I upload the big finished file I just hope I can make things louder for you guys.

Darth Sabre
Knight Captain

TPLA Knight instructor

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 06:50:52 PM »

Working on the impacts at the moment. Getting more easier by the second. xp When I upload the big finished file I just hope I can make things louder for you guys.

Mind: the big file's just a tool. The important things are the small extracted files, that will find their way to us. And if you don't want to edit them all again at the end one by one, you should raise the volume (green) when you start working in the big file right at the beginning!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: