Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Sabers without FoC brighter than sabers without it?  (Read 1395 times)
lexonio
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 3

« on: January 15, 2013, 02:47:43 PM »

Anyone has any confirmations? Single-color sabers still use RGB leds for FoC. And as far as I know RGB LEDs are dimmer than single-color LEDs.
Am I right then that FoC sabers are a bit dimmer than non-FoC?

I may look like a Sith, but the Light Side is my secret ally.

Vader's phrases made into .lsu lockup files - http://depositfiles.com/files/qnwimjfoo Unmixed and mixed with the default obsidian hum sound versions are available. PW is "ultrasabers".

Master Bluespike74
Guardian Prime
Vanguard of the Azure Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 977

As long as there is light, I will be here.

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »

I have Guardian Blue made with RGB LED and Flash on Clash, Guardian Blue made with Single LED, and Guardian Blue non Flash on Clash made with RGB LED.  All three look the same to me.  The brightness is controlled by the setup of the resistors and having enough voltage to power the LED's.  Whether you are using an RGB LED or Single LED for Guardian Blue, you are still only using one die for the illumination.  The difference is when you are using an RGB for a combo color like Arctic Blue.  You are using two dies and therefore consuming more power.  This might account for the illusion that the colors are not as bright but a luminometer will disprove that quickly. 

Guided by the Aing Tii Monks

Shodan in Shaolin Kempo Karate/Kung Fu/Jiu Jitsu

Yes, I am a color:  BLUE

lexonio
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 04:36:14 PM »

Quote from: bluespike74
This might account for the illusion that the colors are not as bright but a luminometer will disprove that quickly. 
Nice and detailed, thank you very much! So there's no downside to the FoC option, that is good.

I may look like a Sith, but the Light Side is my secret ally.

Vader's phrases made into .lsu lockup files - http://depositfiles.com/files/qnwimjfoo Unmixed and mixed with the default obsidian hum sound versions are available. PW is "ultrasabers".

Slaxxor
Knight Arbiter

Force Alignment: 36

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:00:30 PM »

Nice and detailed, thank you very much! So there's no downside to the FoC option, that is good.

I can confirm this.  I have 3 BR sabers, 2 with FOC and one without.

They are all the same in color and brightness.

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:24:29 PM »

I can confirm this.  I have 3 BR sabers, 2 with FOC and one without.

They are all the same in color and brightness.

What he said.  I have 2 BR sabers as well.  Both use Li-Ion with a Buckpuck.  Both look the same.  But FOC is just sick when it comes on. 

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Kailthir
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 43

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 03:50:58 PM »

This is a good question... It says if we want to have a Tri Cree we can't have FOC, to select "None"....  I was under the impression that Tri Cree was brighter than RGB. Which is it?

Also If I want a brighter blade and select "none" for FOC does that mean I automatically default to Tri Cree LED in the emerald sabers with sound? Its a bit confusing sometimes.

"Judge me by my Saber, do you?"
"And well you should not..."
"...For my ally is UltraSabers, and a powerful ally it is"

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 06:27:17 PM »

Tri-Cree is indeed brighter than RGB or single-die LEDs because you use three identical dies (Red or Blue or Green or White or Amber) instead of one. That's also the reason why there is no FoC available - FoC only works with RGB LEDs because you need a different die to get a different colour for the FoC/lockup effect.

In Emerald Sabers there's no Tri-Cree option. They always use either a RGBW or RGBA 4-die LED, so it's not as bright as a Tri-Cree saber. But you have unlimited FoC colours for any blade colour and you're not limited to a few compatible colours.
Choosing the "No FoC" option in the Emerald Sabers just means that it ships without a colour preset, but you can activate and customize FoC once you connect it to your PC and the Launcher.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: