Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Purely curious question about anodising  (Read 1873 times)
Vetinari
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -1

« on: April 24, 2011, 12:57:50 AM »

I've noticed that anodising on some hilts - even the ones without the added cost of extra careful machining to make silver grooves - costs more than others. Is this due to the more complicated shape of the hilt making it more difficult to evenly oxidise the surface?

I suppose the awkward shapes could lead to uneven coatings which would add to costs. (I really should know about this due to the course I'm studying... But... Well I don't! A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and all!) I guess that sometimes the dye stage doesn't work out properly?

Sorry I really am just being nosy! All I know about anodising is that it's a 2 step process, the 1st where the oxide is porous, and the 2nd seals it all off.

War Glaive - Guardian Blue
Liberator - Fire Orange
Prophecy - Adegan Silver
Asajj Ventress Force FX

Darth Paul
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -6

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 02:38:52 AM »

Hmmm I don't know but I would like to know the answer as well.... nice question

Dark Standard Issue Staff - Arctic Blue

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 06:51:34 PM »

Ultra's posted this before somewhere... can't remember where exactly, but the gist of it was this:  Ultra doesn't anodize them himself, but sends them to be anodized.  Thus, he's charged for that, and the price goes up accordingly.

Big Boss
Mandalore
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -323

Galactic basic you nerfherder! Do you speak it!?

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 07:22:56 PM »

ultra also said cost is also based on the amount of sabers he sends for anodize as well, since anodizing has to be done in large batches so it will be cost efficient for example if the anodized saber is a complex design but will always be for sale by ultra sabers it may be cheaper since ultra will send many to be anodized all the time in large batches unlike uncomplicated  LE sabers  which ultra  will send to be anodized only in a few small batches.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 07:35:00 PM by Big Boss » Logged

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss.-BIG BASS

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 08:40:32 PM »

An anodize bath is a fixed cost, so the more hilts we can get anodized at once, the more we can save per-hilt.  The smaller the hilt, the more of them can fit in a bath, but more important is simply how many we get anodized at a time.  The quantity of hilts we can send off for this varies by many factors, but the most prominent one is simply how many we have available at one time - which again, is dependent on many factors.

In addition to the actual bath is the prep.  A hilt must be cleaned thoroughly before being anodized, so the more intricate the hilt, the longer that takes and the more $$ it costs me to have done.

In addition to the bath is the cost of shipping/insuring hundreds of hilts.  That actually costs about as much as the actual anodize job.

No other builder offers this service and it's pretty clear why: It doesn't turn a profit and it's a pain to have to keep inventory of multiple versions of the same hilt.

I offer anodized hilts mainly because I think it's cool, I think yall will like it, and frankly, because I can.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:01:05 PM »

"Because I can." lol.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Vetinari
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 09:58:08 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to answer guys.

Wow - that's an awful lot more complicated than I'd imagined!

I'd rather naively thought that you'd got a small anodising set up somewhere in the corner of your workshop and that it was all to do with the physical difficulties. (I guess it'd cost a fortune to buy, much less maintain that kind of set up... Oh and I suppose the chemicals must be pretty awful too... Yeah I kind of suck at realising how much real life affects everything - much less actual businessy stuff)

The more I stay on here the more I realise just how great you guys are to everyone who buys stuff from you!

Thanks again!

War Glaive - Guardian Blue
Liberator - Fire Orange
Prophecy - Adegan Silver
Asajj Ventress Force FX

Darth Paul
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -6

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 02:23:56 AM »

Thanks for replying ultra! It really makes you appreciate how wonderfully crafted the dark and le sabers are!

Dark Standard Issue Staff - Arctic Blue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: