Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: New Crimson Reaper (Pic Heavy!)  (Read 14310 times)
BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« on: January 25, 2013, 05:05:26 AM »

Hey folks, it's Ben Pass coming at you again with my newest saber, the Crimson Reaper! Now, I was one of those people who saw the Reaper and Crimson Reaper posted here, and immediately ordered one. Now, the way that I excused away the impulse buy was by ordering it as a stunt. I figure I'm getting good enough at wiring stuff up that I can upgrade to sound later.

Now, you don't want to hear about my excuses and how I made up my mind to order it; you want to hear about the saber! Now, this is a beautiful saber. I can honestly say that I regret not having bought one of the red anodized Libbys, and now that the Crimson Reaper has been released, I couldn't let it slip by.

The anodization is of top quality. It feels great in the hand, and I honestly like the crimson red color. It gives the saber a completely different flair than my other sabers. I also really like the circuit board style silver parts. Overall, it is a wonderfully detailed hilt, and I am glad that I purchased it.

The hilt, as you're probably aware, is MHS compatible and unscrews into five (yes 5) pieces. Now, I don't know if it's just mine or not, but the battery pack stays in the fourth section, and the wiring is in the third (counting from emitter to pommel). That means that I can mix and match the emitter and pommel, and remove the silver shroud, but the middle two parts stay together. That isn't an issue with me though because I really like how the saber looks as-is. One thing I want to point out is about the silver shroud. Now, I thought that it screwed in as well, but it does not. Instead, you simply place it on the main hilt and then screw in the emitter. Not a big deal at all, just an interesting thing that I was unaware of that I thought I'd let you all know about.

As to the claws, I was unsure how I would feel about them when I first ordered the saber. Now that it has arrived, I can attest to the fact that the claws are (like all things US sells) well made. They are not sharp, but are incredibly detailed. That said, my claws do not line up. I can (and probably will) get a rubber O-Ring and put it on the pommel so it will line up better because I'm not a fan of the claws being off centered from each other. That is not a complaint against US or the quality of the saber; it is just an observation and a personal preference. Because of that fact, until I get an O-Ring, I'll probably keep the pommel claw off (which is very easy to remove by the way).

Now, as you'll see, I got the regular latching switch (since it's a stunt) and I am very pleased with how it is set in the hilt. It doesn't stick out nearly as far as some other models I've used, and seems to fit quite well on the saber.

As for handling, I was unable to do a whole lot of swinging/spinning because of the snow we've had the last week (I don't want to go out there lol), but what little I did makes me believe that it is a very nicely balanced saber.

I'll review more at a later time, but I just wanted to give you a bit of a rundown on the saber, and let you know how much I love it! So now, here are the pics!

Beautiful saber!

Location of retention screw:

Colors...now I tried to swap in as many colors as possible so you would see what different colors look like on the Crimson hilt:

Here's BR:

SY:

And SRD:

Each piece individually:

I've seen one or two people worrying about the open pommel. Well, I'm here to say, "Don't worry about the open pommel"! Even without sound, the battery pack will not fall out.

Size in hand:

Claw taken off pommel:

Two different pommels; the Arbiter and the Dark InitiateV3/Dominix V3/Dark Prophecy V3:

One thing that I wondered about was the fact that this saber has the regular LED module instead of the MLS unit, but also has QDs. See how easy it is to swap QD colors from MLS to regular LED Module! Just unscrew your MLS unit with QDs, and screw it into a LED module with QDs:

Hope y'all liked it, and that this helped you get an idea of this wonderful saber!

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

Padawan Emile
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

Light Side Points

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 05:52:23 AM »

That! Is one nice saber my friend. Can't wait for review

Lightsabers:
Phantom Initiate - CG / GB
Aeon v3 - CG
Dark Prophecy V3 - BR w/ FoC AS
 Dark Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 - AB

Lightside Points.

Deep
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 701

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 06:27:07 AM »

Great Review.

It actually comes apart into even MORE pieces, you can unscrew the slanted part in the emitter and pommel to re-orient them and the claws  Wink

Hope that helps.

Emory "Deep" Harris
www.ultrasabers.com

BenPass
Knight of the Consular Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 690

Jedi Consular

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 06:40:59 AM »

Great Review.

It actually comes apart into even MORE pieces, you can unscrew the slanted part in the emitter and pommel to re-orient them and the claws  Wink

Hope that helps.

Oh my, that is incredible! Thank you so much for letting me know about that. I'll have to do a bit more experimenting with it. I really love the saber!

May the Force be with me? Sure! It can come along!
"Lux triumphat super obscurum" - "Light triumphs over darkness"

noheddardstark
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 18

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 06:59:33 AM »

Just curious.......how does that dark arbiter pommel feel on it? Does it maintain a good sense of balance?

- NHS

CG Consular, VA Shock LE, SY Guardian and GB Manticore

swords4two
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 93

Fear offers the man nothing!

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 06:00:42 PM »

I did the same as you and I ordered a stunt and damn it breaks down into more parts! AWESOME!!!!! Super excited!

A life half lived is not a life lived at all.
Fear offers the man Nothing.

Maticore, SY Obsidian
Phantasm Initiate CG Obsidian
Overlord AS Obsidian
Overlord AS stunt
Crimson Reaper FO
Malice BR stunt
Dark Monarch VA stunt
Dominix LE GB stunt
Aeon CG stunt

Manroon
Protector of Abused Dungeon Rancors
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 832

Nova Six, two lit and in the green.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 06:12:43 PM »

This is awesome! Great review, and an awesome looking saber! DAH! I sense a disturbance in my already empty wallet! In the words of Obi-Wan: "Not good..." lol This is really tempting to start saving up for, even if you forget about how good it looks, just thinking about all those MHS pieces to play with would drive you bonkers. Too cool. Smiley

I am not a color...

A Knight can serve only one Master.

eerockk
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 662

TPLA Lx Apprentice - Nova 7

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:31:20 PM »

First review of the Reaper that I've seen, and fully convincing that this saber is a piece of art. Thanks for the awesome review, Ben!

Edit: forgot to mention how nice the Arby pommel is on that thing! It balances out the silver on the emitter. The Guardian pommel would rock on the Dark Reaper, I think. Again, thanks for posting!!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:49:36 PM by eerockk » Logged

Bellicose - Prophecy V3 - Overlord - Archon 2.1 - Guardian

Skywalker1422
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 10

Either points are fine, I'm on the edge!

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 06:40:30 PM »

Hey, nice review. I have my reaper in the mail and it should be here next week. I was wondering if the screw holding the claws in are the same size screw that holds the blade in? Can you use the blade retention wrench to unscrew the claws or do you need to buy a different wrench?

"If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »

Great review Ben! Now I'm thinking about getting one in HP... killing two birds with one stone, so to speak Wink

no

Sandtracker
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 06:53:23 PM »

Great review, Ben! I might get one, sooner or later.

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 07:21:43 PM »

Very cool Ben!  Love the SY on the Crimson hilt.  One question: the red anodizing still looks very bright in the pictures (probably b/c of the flash).  Is it really bright in person, or more of a darker blood-red type color?

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 07:37:21 PM »

Nice saber. Looks sick in SY.

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Max Rebo
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 08:44:22 PM »

Great review! I was wondering-- are the screw holes fit such that an upper claw (with holes on inside of claw) could be used fort the pommel claw (which looks inverted so the holes are on the outside of the claw)?  Does that make sense? For me that symmetry would make the reaper a 10... or maybe i just need a Reaper Staff!!

Padawan Emile
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

Light Side Points

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 09:43:47 PM »

What is the best pummel (in your opinion) for the Reaper?

Lightsabers:
Phantom Initiate - CG / GB
Aeon v3 - CG
Dark Prophecy V3 - BR w/ FoC AS
 Dark Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 - AB

Lightside Points.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: