Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Idea for making 'Curved' rather than 'Bent' saber hilt  (Read 5396 times)
hedgehog1
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 64

Never going to grow up.

« on: February 04, 2013, 10:27:30 PM »

This is idea that came to me is based on the wonderful work swords4two did with a bend in an Aeon V2 hilt: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=11929

----- NOTE: YOU DO THIS - YOU VOID YOUR SABERS WARRANTY! ------  Ok - it just needed saying...   Grin

Last night (after be amazed at  swords4two leather grip tutorial in the same link above) I got to thinking about making more of a true curve rather than a bend in the same hilt. Oh, and to not get a hernia when doing it.

I have started with the photo swords4two posted (hope that is OK swords4two) , and did some photo-shop magic to demonstrate the concept.

The idea is to cut (in this example) three groves with a hack saw - these grooves are the colored triangles you see in these images:

The bending is done using two steel rods.  The transparent blue bars represent the steel bars inside the hilt during bending:

One steel rod is inside the emitter hole and clamped into the biggest vise you can find. The second steel rod is slid down the pommel hole - this is the one you grab and bend with: make this a long rod and you can avoid a hernia!  The rod is moved out a little after each bend section is completed.

This gives a more graduated series of bends making the final hilt look and feel more like a curve.  If you want even more of a curve, do 4 or 5 notches. For a smaller curve, just do 2 notches.

swords4two used JB Weld to fill and fix the open areas at the notches - and that works for me!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:39:13 PM by hedgehog1 » Logged

Hedgehogs prefer Light-sided points, please.

Standard Issue
Dark Standard Issue
Arbiter

srams
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 375

Speak softly and carry a big saber...

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:13:01 PM »

Wow, PVC is SSOOOO much easier! LOL, no but seriously thats a really cool and clever way to do that on the aluminum hilts.

"I will always oppose the Darkness, but I will never hesitate to defend myself from the Light..."

"I looked my demons in the eye and said, do your best to destroy me. See, I've been to hell and back so many times I must admit you kind of bore me."

Sky Dragon c5
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1

Grey Jedi Assassin

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:43:33 PM »

I would like to see working prototypes from us, be a good reuse of some other grab bags lying around.

Keep me as a Grey Jedi Please

C=Custom, D=Dark

Rd Reaper AS, Archon V2.1 AB, Consular CG, Malice BR, Overlord PO, Shock LE SY, D Shock DVA, D Liberator AS, Raven FO, D War EG, C Manticore BH, C D Shock RGB, C D Arbiter SR, C Archon V2.

Darth_Viridius
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -10

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 12:48:16 AM »

I would like to see working prototypes from us, be a good reuse of some other grab bags lying around.

If they released a curved hilt saber I would pay through the nose for it.

Adak Cyrnoc
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 85

May the force be with you.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:53:26 AM »

I do like the idea, however I know when you bend metal
or in this case aluminum that it gets weak... with this idea
you are bending in three different spots in one general
area.... I'm thinking it will look cool, but sooner or later
it will get dropped or something will happen causing it to
be shot.

Would be cool to see, if anyone does this I hope they
post some pics

The force is strong with this one...
It takes strength to resist the dark side, only the weak embrace it

current weapon stash; wont fit in this little box. 29 and growing

Adak Cyrnoc
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 85

May the force be with you.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:57:05 AM »

If they released a curved hilt saber I would pay through the nose for it.

Easy killer, I've already paid through the nose and out
other unmentionable parts... lets hope if they make a
curved hilt that it will be cheap or at least reasonable.

The force is strong with this one...
It takes strength to resist the dark side, only the weak embrace it

current weapon stash; wont fit in this little box. 29 and growing

hedgehog1
Knight Ensign

Never going to grow up.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:43:32 AM »

...however I know when you bend metal or in this case aluminum that it gets weak...

Yes - that is absolutely true. The hilt will be weaker by bending it.  Three smaller bends instead of one larger one should (in theory) be a little 'less weak'.  The value of this is appearance. Even with the final gaps filled, well, 'JB weld' is a great product, but it will not be as strong as the hilt was before cutting & bending took place.

I still have no idea how UltraSabers could do a run of curved hilts in aluminum (and keeping to their hilt strength standards) without incurring exorbitant machining costs. 

Standard Issue
Dark Standard Issue
Arbiter

porkrot
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »

I think your underestimating the strength of these hilts and over estimating the stress you put them through. Its no like your throwing the hilt into a garbage compacter or running over it with a mac truck the stress is from the neck and you bend is way further down than that. If you wanted to have a curved hilt with out doing this yourself go get a piece of aluminium tube and have it bent and the standard threads put in either end. They will bend it with a mandrill bender so it wont crush and it will be strong and any other. sorry to ramble.

Power corrupts
absolute power
corrupts absolutely

swords4two
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 93

Fear offers the man nothing!

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 02:23:19 PM »

Hedge The one problem with the method you have here are
1 you will bend the shape of the inside emitter area.
2 you will bend the inside pommel threads .

The 3 cuts would work just bend it by hand.
 I'll try this method with my grab bag dominix v2 today Ill post pics this afternoon.

A life half lived is not a life lived at all.
Fear offers the man Nothing.

Maticore, SY Obsidian
Phantasm Initiate CG Obsidian
Overlord AS Obsidian
Overlord AS stunt
Crimson Reaper FO
Malice BR stunt
Dark Monarch VA stunt
Dominix LE GB stunt
Aeon CG stunt

hedgehog1
Knight Ensign

Never going to grow up.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 03:34:40 PM »

Thanks for being brave enough to give this idea a try!

If the sections bend OK by hand, that would be awesome (remember: the is a no hernia zone!).  Not needing the steel rods would make things easier as the fewer one-time tools needed, the better. I don't know what else the steel rods would be good for (well, keeping the annoying neighbor kids out of the yard perhaps, or affection training your cat, but otherwise...  Grin )

Point for you for actually trying the idea!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:41:00 PM by hedgehog1 » Logged

Standard Issue
Dark Standard Issue
Arbiter

Raptor Shaddai
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 3

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 04:51:45 PM »

Well, I thought I would revive this thread since I too, would be interested in a Count Dooku style hilt. 

As for Ultra Sabers making it, I think there are 2 ways that could be quite profitable for them.  As mentioned already having the hilts Mandrel bent would be the best method.  Only the initial investment of a Mandrel Bending machine is quite EXPENSIVE!  But, if they were to take some of their hilts, before they are tapped for threads & machined for looks & holes drilled, & have another company Mandrel bend them that should not bee too expensive.  The more they would have to bend, the cheaper the price is, usually.

I know in the car world we have "group buys" on Mandrel bent tubing that we use in turbo charged engine applications.  The Mandrel bends are smoooooooth & do not weaken the metal.  Smooth is what we need for turbo piping into the throttle body as that means a quicker blast of air & more linear power transitions & when Mandrel bends are used in the exhaust piping that equals faster escape of gasses which equals quicker spooling of the turbo.  So, what I am getting at here, is maybe US could do a group buy, once a certain number are paid for by us customers, they could put in the order for the Mandrel bends, make the hilt/saber & the customers here could have a limited edition saber at a decent price AND be some of the FIRST to get this type of a hilt/saber!

OR...
US could simply make a 2 piece hilt.  Then make a coupler that has about a 5 to 10 degree angle cut on each end of the coupler (or whatever degree angle they wanted to use for the look they wanted).  Then they could thread the ends of the coupler straight in on the angles.  This way when you screw the 2 hilt pieces onto the coupler the hilt would look curved or bent.

BOTH ways would be strong & I think with a group buy option on the forum here, that would allow US to "test the market" & get a really cool product out in a limited fashion first & then they could decide if they wanted to make it a hilt available all the time in their regular line up.

Of course, for those that want to modify what they have to get that curved look, the cut method mentioned on here is not a bad way of doing it.  This method has been used for a long time & won't really change the strength of the hilt much to really make a difference.  Getting the cut areas filled & cleaned to look nice would take a bit of work, but would be worth it in my opinion (if done right & with a touch of finesse).   You could also take an existing hilt & strip it down to just the metal hilt & send it off to be Mandrel bent to your specifications.  This should not be too expensive, especially if you could get a few folks to go in together & get a bunch done at once.

Oh well, just a thought I had after reading this while I have been searching & reading through the forum.  Maybe it will spark some interest from the US staff!  Hint, hint...

Manticore = VA/BH FoC with Obsidian Sound QD
                  AS/BR FoC MLS LED
"Either do or do not, there is no try"

Rina Ascura
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 111

Please keep it at 100!

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 11:20:42 AM »

Really want to see an example of a saber hilt bent this way.

BBL AND PROUD! The Expanded Universe - the old, the true, the brave!

DarthJimmer
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -4

No Points Pls Balance of the Je'daii

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 11:52:12 AM »

Well, I thought I would revive this thread since I too, would be interested in a Count Dooku style hilt. 

As for Ultra Sabers making it, I think there are 2 ways that could be quite profitable for them.  As mentioned already having the hilts Mandrel bent would be the best method.  Only the initial investment of a Mandrel Bending machine is quite EXPENSIVE!  But, if they were to take some of their hilts, before they are tapped for threads & machined for looks & holes drilled, & have another company Mandrel bend them that should not bee too expensive.  The more they would have to bend, the cheaper the price is, usually.

I know in the car world we have "group buys" on Mandrel bent tubing that we use in turbo charged engine applications.  The Mandrel bends are smoooooooth & do not weaken the metal.  Smooth is what we need for turbo piping into the throttle body as that means a quicker blast of air & more linear power transitions & when Mandrel bends are used in the exhaust piping that equals faster escape of gasses which equals quicker spooling of the turbo.  So, what I am getting at here, is maybe US could do a group buy, once a certain number are paid for by us customers, they could put in the order for the Mandrel bends, make the hilt/saber & the customers here could have a limited edition saber at a decent price AND be some of the FIRST to get this type of a hilt/saber!

OR...
US could simply make a 2 piece hilt.  Then make a coupler that has about a 5 to 10 degree angle cut on each end of the coupler (or whatever degree angle they wanted to use for the look they wanted).  Then they could thread the ends of the coupler straight in on the angles.  This way when you screw the 2 hilt pieces onto the coupler the hilt would look curved or bent.

BOTH ways would be strong & I think with a group buy option on the forum here, that would allow US to "test the market" & get a really cool product out in a limited fashion first & then they could decide if they wanted to make it a hilt available all the time in their regular line up.

Of course, for those that want to modify what they have to get that curved look, the cut method mentioned on here is not a bad way of doing it.  This method has been used for a long time & won't really change the strength of the hilt much to really make a difference.  Getting the cut areas filled & cleaned to look nice would take a bit of work, but would be worth it in my opinion (if done right & with a touch of finesse).   You could also take an existing hilt & strip it down to just the metal hilt & send it off to be Mandrel bent to your specifications.  This should not be too expensive, especially if you could get a few folks to go in together & get a bunch done at once.

Oh well, just a thought I had after reading this while I have been searching & reading through the forum.  Maybe it will spark some interest from the US staff!  Hint, hint...

I was going to say EXACTLY this! I was like, what? it's def. possible to do so without making it weak,

"At the heart of any poor soul not at one with the Force, there is only void" -Unknown Je'daii 2,545 TYA (Tho Yor Arrival)

Jay Nightshade
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 13

Light side points please

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 08:25:37 AM »

Great idea hedgehog1
I wouldn't do it but here's a light side hedgie point for you

Lorem-Dark Liberator V3- Fire Orange

Old Republic RP
Zael Dawnbolt- Human Guild Explorer/Medic
New TOR RP
Alecs Varin- Human Jedi Guardian

swords4two
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 93

Fear offers the man nothing!

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 07:21:34 PM »

Now that I am back at home from a long time being away i can finish the curved hilts I started I while back. Been off the forums for awhile. pics coming soon.

A life half lived is not a life lived at all.
Fear offers the man Nothing.

Maticore, SY Obsidian
Phantasm Initiate CG Obsidian
Overlord AS Obsidian
Overlord AS stunt
Crimson Reaper FO
Malice BR stunt
Dark Monarch VA stunt
Dominix LE GB stunt
Aeon CG stunt

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print