Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: sort of real lightsaber  (Read 11717 times)
Kr0n05
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2011, 10:35:33 AM »

check this out
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSNubaa7n9o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSNubaa7n9o</a>

the possibility of a lightsaber in our lifetime may be at hand?
lol who knows we can only hope and dream right?

navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 02:07:18 PM »

What the heck?! When did this show start it looks pretty cool. Like most History / Discovery channel type things it's pretty cursory and basic, but dang, neato! And don't leave me hanging, he sounds like he's about to talk about something like my idea.

Guess I'm off to find this show.

Thanks.

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

Kr0n05
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 09:40:42 PM »

that youtube i linked is the first part in a 3 part clip, it would work for dueling but not so much at stabbing as some have wondered i mean ya slightly unless you can figure a way to lock the extending blade in place while in use and not when it isn't but ya that guy is a freakin genius i love his idea and to think only 50 year's or so at worst for the actual technology. we have the tech at the moment it just needs improvement/upgrading the power source....MANY MANY MANY nanotech batteries to heat it to nearly the temperature of the sun a super powerful fan to produce the vast amount's of air and pressure and magnetic force of some kind flowing through the blade to contain the plasma.....everything completely doable now it'd just cost more money than the entire world has.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure that would be made illegal in a heartbeat. Same with any "real" lightsaber.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

navajas
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -19

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 10:36:31 PM »

I'm about as far away as you'll find a person from supporting any type of prohibitionary law. Even so, I think I might go ahead and vote "Yes" on the Should Lightsabers be Illegal initiative.

LE Initiate - Green (for my son)
FreeSaber Archon - Red (for my other son)
Nickel Prophecy - Arctic Blue (for my Mom)
Initiate V3 LE - Destiny (for my wife)
Bane RGB - white FoC (for my brother)
Vermathax - Yellow / Silver / Purple, custom
Archon V2 - Green (amber FoC, *goodies)

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 10:42:40 PM »

I'm in agreement with navajas as far as most prohibitive laws, but I wouldn't vote for them to be illegal, but maybe a license to carry would be in order.  Although, by that time, it'll probably be illegal to carry any type of weapon.

Aralyus_Reaper
Force Sensitive

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 12:18:15 AM »

Hey all
   I just joined the forums today and as far as a real saber goes the only two problems are #1: the power plant. at this time there is no way to generate that much power in something less than the size of an SUV
#2: since it's based on light there is no way to create an end point so you would have a blade stretching into infinity!!!
lol not too sure if people have already touched on those points because I didn't read the entire thread. That's my two cents though.

*5day Reaper*

Jawaslayer4
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -7

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 07:11:53 AM »

I've heard somewhere that the armed forces have the technology to make a functioning "lightsaber" but they're not practical in modern warfare. If you think about it, someone with any type of melee weapon vs someone with a ranged weapon is well, bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Kr0n05
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 09:48:41 AM »

Ya the guy he visit's at MIT for the nanotech in the 3rd part of that clip I linked the tech is somewhat available but no one has actually put it into making batteries, IF they had made some sort of molecular battery then and only then would it have a chance at being made. We can always dream until then i suppose right? Too bad there hasn't been any massive jumps forward in battery tech. But as was said in the video carbon nanotubes grow at an INCREDIBLE rate (minutes to reach low earth orbit) but ya the amount of batteries that would have to be put into it would be insane like on a level of thousands stacked one on top of the other to make single tube and at least a dozen or so tubes but nanotech is totally how it'd be made possible. As far as it being legal, we can only hope humans become ready for a weapon of a more civilized age, currently I'd say there isn't a chance. But with the problem with it being light based ya you'd have to use plasma and magnet's and as far as the military looking into this, the MIT research for nano-structured material's is all top secret who knows what's gonna end up popping up from that.

Iyce
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 26

Off-White Jedi

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2011, 01:36:38 AM »

Lightsabers are like a loop. The energy, if you could see the sides, would be like an eye of a needle squished from the sides.

"Was that a droideka I cut in half? Huh! Didn't notice!"

Sabers I Want        Sabers I Have
Metal Grab Bag
War Glaive Staff
Dark Initiate LE
Aeon RGB

Kaiden Shardsbane
RP Training Mod
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -245

Inactive Member

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 12:34:57 PM »

The only problem is how do you get the energy to turn around and come back?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: