Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Good blade length for duel wielding two Initiate V2s?  (Read 3067 times)
AceOfBass
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 3

« on: February 07, 2013, 03:14:07 AM »

Hi everyone, just a quick question for those able to answer!

I am interested in a pair of Initiate V2s, mostly for cost and their small size (I have somewhat small hands).

I am wondering firstly, how much length will be lost from the socket depth? I can't imagine much, but I don't know well enough to be sure.

Secondly, what is a good blade length for duel wielding? I practice Kali and the weapons used are most commonly sticks. After some thinking, I think I can apply a good number of skills and techniques to lightsabers, and would like something short enough to flip and weave around myself, but long enough to defend and bridge distances between longer sabers. A good familiar feeling to a pair of 28" rattan sticks would be perfect.

Thanks for your time!

Ryan Stormchaser
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 13

I dig lightside points.

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 04:21:02 AM »

Initiates come with 24" blades by default, and I'm sure you're gonna get more than 4" in addition from the hilts.  It'll probably be longer than 28", so it might not be perfect, but I'd stick with the default length, that way you have experience with the "normal".  Plus it's not hard to cut blades shorter, if you so desire.

I don't have an Initiate, so I can't help you with your first question.  Sorry  Undecided

AceOfBass
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 05:37:42 AM »

Thanks for the help regardless!

I didn't think of the handle as extra length, thanks for helping me with perspective.   Smiley

haldir
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 32

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 06:07:09 AM »

i only have experience with an initiate v2 with an initiate heavy grade blade but that was awsome! i wasn't id like the small saber being used to the full size ones but with the heavy grade blade i really enjoyed the weight and feel with the initiate v2 and thought it balanced and spun great! im sure the mid grade blade would be good too.

Oramac
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -256

Dark Side, please. I like the cookies.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 09:17:47 PM »

Both of my Initiates (v3's, if it matters) have 32" blades.  I find them to be darn near perfect in length.

That being said, I've never trained in Kali and only done an extremely small amount of Escrima.  You may find the shorter blades to your liking given your background.

I give stealth points.  You may get one without ever knowing it! Muwahaha!

Dark War Glaive - Blazing Red/AS FOC [or FO/VA FOC]
Initiate v3 with Obsidian - Blazing Red
Initiate v3 - Consular

AceOfBass
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 12:45:58 AM »

How's the weight and balance with those blades? Does an UltraEdge blade weigh more?

Sorry for my incessant stream of questions, i'd just like to buy right the first time around.   Tongue

haldir
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 32

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 03:18:31 AM »

i think there is a difference in weight between the UEMG and the regular MG but it is negligible. I think the UE may be slightly lighter but i cant tell the difference when i switch between the blades on my hilts. 

also, I have the initiate v3 and while it is darn near perfect with 32" mid grade blade i do sometimes rock the 36" on there and love that too.... so basically ya, whatever you get will have a different feel to it but they will all be fun and great

Oramac
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 06:53:42 PM »

How's the weight and balance with those blades? Does an UltraEdge blade weigh more?

Sorry for my incessant stream of questions, i'd just like to buy right the first time around.   Tongue

So far as I know, there is no significant difference in weight between Ultraedge and Non-UE blades.

The Heavy Grades are roughly twice the weight of the mid grades.  Honestly, I've tried the HG blades in my Initiates and didn't really care for them.  The extra weight adds power to swings, but I lose a lot of quickness. 

Initiate v3 - Consular

AceOfBass
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 09:56:37 PM »

What is the weight of the saber with the blade, generally speaking?

Does it feel relatively balanced?

I'm alright with a bit of weight in the blade, personally.

Oramac
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 10:24:25 PM »

For the life of me I can't find the thread, but I seem to recall my Initiates (I think) with mid grades being in the 5-700 gram range, depending on setup.

Initiate v3 - Consular

AceOfBass
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 06:42:49 AM »

And how was the balance?

Luna
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 550

This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind...

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 10:41:27 PM »

So far as I know, there is no significant difference in weight between Ultraedge and Non-UE blades.

The Heavy Grades are roughly twice the weight of the mid grades.  Honestly, I've tried the HG blades in my Initiates and didn't really care for them.  The extra weight adds power to swings, but I lose a lot of quickness. 

UE and midgrade blades are the same weight. The only difference is that UE blades are white polycarb and midgrade blades are clear polycarb Cool

And yes, HG blades are twice the weight of midgrades because they are exactly twice as thick.

no

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: